Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

International companies in Hamburg

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

I've been reading some of the posts on this site, but didn't really see a list of the international companies that operate in Hamburg. By international, I mean they communicate in English. I was thinking this would be handy for people looking for employment in Hamburg if they don't speak German.

For example, I work for Reemtsma (part of Imperial Tobacco which is a British company). Most meetings and presentations are in English, and everyone in the company speaks english when needed. But be aware, they smoke in the office and at meetings which is not my cup of tea but here I am...

If everyone can add to this thread the companies they know that are similar, then I'm sure that will help some people out there.

Cheerio

Reon

Posted

Working for BAT being a non smoker can suck i guess LOL

Posted

Great Idea! It would certainly help someone like me to find work in an international company.

Posted

Have a look at stepstone.de and file your CV. A lot of jobs are on offer there that need English language capabilities.

About every job in Hamburg needs at least a basic command of the english language (if its managment or secretary work).

Posted

Many thanks for your advice, Mapleleafdude...

Will check out stepstone.de soonest as Im badly in need of a job...

Cheers!

Posted

R&K - A list like that is a great idea, as I am currently trying to find work with an English speaking company. I'd already thought of Airbus but am looking forward to seeing postings about other companies as well.

Mapeleafdude - Checking out Stepstone "as we speak." You said that pretty much any job is going to require speaking English, but is it possible to find a job when I only speak basic German? I know Engineers at Airbus who don't really need to speak German to do their jobs, and I would love to find a similar situation.

Posted

or you can have a look at the weekend edition of the Hamburger Abendblatts ads. almost only english needed jobs there too.

Posted

PM and tell me what your sort of looking for or interested in and I will give u an educated guess as to what companys might bite. I think i remember u having a kid so flexibility might be an issue but not a problem.

Posted

Hi

Good idea, this thread. I'm moving to Hamburg in a few months and will be sending out speculative applications to international companies, so if anyone has any ideas please speak up!

A friend of my girlfriend used to work for yahoo Hamburg, I met a girl from Denmark who was employed there, and she spoke only English to start with (and Danish, obviously!) so it seems that yahoo are flexible, although last thing I heard they were making people redundnat.

Google are also a really chilled out, young, international type company I feel. I have heard their interview process is rather more like the Spanish inquisition though! But probably worth a nosey.

My plan is to send out speculative applications for 3 months, as well as apply for available positions, then after that go for bar or restaurant work. while continuing to look for more suitable, full time employment.

:-)

Posted

...By international, I mean they communicate in English.

I work for an international = global IT manufacturer with headquarters in USA, however in all the German offices German is spoken (& in the French offices... French...)

Posted

I'm also looking for a job now and here are my tips:

- XING.de a social, but career oriented German network website (don't post party pictures!), headhunters regulary approach members there;

- iagora.com - a European websites to find an internship, including Germany;

- monster.de and google.de - both were maentioned above;

- I was also told that Hamburger Hafen is often looking for multy-lingual workers. There is a Hafen's newspaper (available in Hafen) where vacancies are advertised, but i don't know how to get this newspaper, haven't seen it so far :)

My question here is after being an expat/SAHM for the last 7 years, I'm not sure what's the right way to write a CV. Can someone point me out to the info about the way they write CV/Lebenslauf here in Germany? Would you write it in German or in English?

Thanx and good luck to everyone!

Posted

Write your CV etc. in the language the opening was posted in.

Germans want a picture in the CV but some larger company's want a European style CV which then means NO picture.

Below is a template thats OK but just google and have a look around.

CV Template

Just as HEM has said, if there is no necessity to speak English than the people wont (why should they) so an int. company is not always a homerun when it comes to speaking English all day.

Posted

I have been sending in my CVs in English even though most listings are in German. My reasoning is that my German isn't good enough to write my CV in German (I would need a friend to do it) and I don't want to give the impression that my German is that good when it isn't. Should I have someone translate my CV or leave it as is?

Posted

I would not recommend sending a CV written badly in a (for you) foreign language.

However CVs are not translated 1:1 - they have to be "converted". A search for CV reveals a mass of threads...

I my case I submitted my CV in English language with a covering letter having first checked with HR that this was acceptable...

Posted

And do send a picture unless expressly not wanted.

Posted

Is that all the international companies out there in hamburg??

There must be more than:

Reemtsma

Yahoo

Google

Airbus

Come on, lets get a good list together...I think that would be more helpful for someone looking for a job, than looking in a german newspaper (especially if you don't know the language!).

Cheers

Reon

Posted

I just found this website, which might help someone looking for an english speaking job

www.jobsinhamburg.com

Cheers

Posted

Ah this is just the type of thread I was looking for!

Here's an indication of how seriously some German companies take resume photos:

http://www.molis.de/b/b_foto.php

...some other companies for possible English speaking jobs:

Molis

Flowserve

Conergy

Leighton

IMPaC Engineering...

My search has only been superficial since I won't move to Hamburg till early next year, and is more engineering type stuff. Somebody else mentioned already stepstone.de, and all those companies I found by using the keywords 'english, engineering' right off the main page, I'm sure some effort in the advanced search would yield even more pertinent and interesting results (though all those companies offered interesting postings too...). Ich kann schon ein bisschien Deutsch aber gar nicht gut genug fur 'business German' glaub ich...plus I have no umlauts on my keyboard...

...umlautless

Posted

Hello,

Im just wondering how we can do this better in helping one another in searching for work in an international/english speaking companies in Hamburg.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to collate or contribute details, information, whatever.

This would really be of great help.

PS :

And should some kind soul have any employment opportunity in an English speaking company right here in Hamburg (or neighbouring states), please do let me know. Am willing to relocate, if needed.