Where to buy fresh cranberries in Munich

51 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I am a bit stuck. I wanted to make my Grandma's special cranberry sauce recipe for a turkey dinner on Sunday, and had always believed that cranberries could be obtained at Viktualienmarkt without problem. I went there yesterday and was told by numerous stands that cranberries are no longer in season. Does anyone have a tip as to where I could find some?

Oh, and are all the grocery stores going to be closed Friday and Saturday?

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted

Groceries are open on saturday. I am not sure whether you can get fresh craberries at this time of the year.

Posted

Otherwise you have to resort to either frozen, tinned or jars...

Posted

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Posted

I always thought you could get them year round but I haven't seen them around lately either. I'm not sure I've ever come across tinned but you can get glasses of preiselbeeren or moosbeeren. It won't be the same but maybe you can still jazz it up with your grandmother's special ingredients.

Posted

They have them at the 'new' Edeka here in Unterhaching (atleast they did back in November), so if there is one in town somewhere check there.

Posted

I'm not an expert on cranberries, but I think they're mostly grown in territories where they are consumed, meaning that they, unlike most fruits/vegs which are grown on both northern and southern hemispheres to even out fresh supply, actually have a season, which should be over by now. I think that if the people at Viktualienmarkt says you can't find them, then you probably can't, but have a look at Kaufhof Marienplatz and the Karstadt at Hauptbahnhof, I've seen fresh cranberries at both location, and at the very least, they should have frozen.

Otherwise, I second E. Rigby's suggestion on Preiselbeeren, they go very well with turkey.

Posted

Always thought that Cranberries were for ahem ' women's problems ' ?

Posted

They are more plentiful in the fall, but they can be found almost year round these days. You will have to go to the larger markets and maybe visit one or two until you find them. For a sauce, frozen is just fine. Few people could actually tell the difference anyway. And Preiselbeeren are indeed a very acceptable equivalent substitute as they are in fact Cranberries. ;)

Posted

Actually cranberry juice is a good detox drink as it has an effect on the kidneys, blood stream and such. Ocean spray anyone? :unsure:

Posted

There is a difference between Preiselbeeren and cranberries, but if I don't find the latter, I will try the former. Yes, BD, cranberry juice is good for bladder infections (also for men), but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy drinking it! I have it at my house all the time these days, but that is not indicative of any health problem I have. If you've ever seen Sex and the City, you will know the girls always drink cosmopolitans--a cocktail which contains cranberry juice. Wish me luck in my quest.

Posted

Actually cranberry juice is a good detox drink as it has an effect on the kidneys, blood stream and such. Ocean spray anyone?

Rewe and Hit both carry Ocean Spray! Got 2 1-l here at home.

Posted

I regularly clean out Karstadt am Nordbad's supply since they started carrying it. Makes for great Schorles.

Posted

Isn't Cranberry Juice always prescribed for ' honeymoon disease ' ?

Bugger all to do with the urinary tract i imagine?

My gf in UK needed to get some relief and called the ER and was told to save her time and just go and get some Cranberry Juice to alleviate symptoms.

Posted

BD, when you are on your honeymoon, you are having lots of sex (hopefully) which is pushing body fluids and possibly particles of stuff up the girl's urinary tract, and if she doesn 't jump up and pee right after sex, it can turn into a urinary tract infection. That's all the honeymoon disease is.

Posted

Sorry Ruthie, i only said what my experience was.

Those were the days of getting too much sex :D

Posted

There is a difference between Preiselbeeren and cranberries

Uh, not that much really. The first one is Vaccinium vitis-idaea (mountain cranberry) and the second is Vaccinium macrocarpum (large or American cranberry). You would probably find more differences in varieties of apples to be honest.

Posted

Anybody find Ocean Spray without sugar in it? The OS I find is akin to fruit "nectar" - watery and with sugar.

Thanks!

ff

Posted

... There is a difference between Preiselbeeren and cranberries ...

They taste distinctly different ... although the German "großfrüchtige Moosbeere" or "Kranbeere" is sold under the misleading/wrong name "Kulturpreiselbeere"