One-month driving ban and fine for speeding

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Got caught speeding the other day and just got the letter through the post. My German isnt great but I get the gist of it which is that I was 46 over the limit of 80 giving me a fine of 100E, charge of 23,50E, 3 points and a ban of 1 month. now there is no uberweisung in the letter, just a form that I have to fill in, so im slightly confused... will I have to go to court? The only word I recognise in the letter that relates to court is Beweismittel, which is asking me to send in my photo and "Einseitensensormessung" whatever that is (license?). There are no dates on the letter indicating a court appearance, so im massively confused!

Im thinking that I have to go somewhere (police station?), surrender my license, give them 2 photos and 123E, and come back a month later for my license. Does that sound the right procedure? My German isnt good enough yet!

Posted

Perhaps if you post the whole letter, somebody can translate it for you? i would be willing to help, but I've never had one of those letters, so can't really do so without reading it...

Posted

I don't think anyone will be able help properly unless they've read the text of the letter.

Posted

Beweismittel = evidence

Einseitensensormessung = roadside sensor

So they're not asking, they're telling you what evidence they have. You will certainly have to surrender your licence to a police station, but the payment is transferred. I suspect that you have to sign to say you won't contest, but don't really know.

Like others have said, difficult to help without the text of the letter.

Posted

... Beweismittel, which is asking me to send in my photo and "Einseitensensormessung" ...

It means the evidence they have (photo and Radar speed measurement) and offers your lawyer to take a look at in case you intend to object ... nothing for you to send

Posted

Guy:

Cheers, that explains that better! But when you said that the payment is transferred did you mean they take it out my bank account automatically without me having to uberweisung it? Or I transfer it to then? there are no bank details on the letter anywhere...

Posted

Again, tell us what it says and we can tell you what you have to do...

Posted

The letter that you have is just the first step in the process. If you sign it and send it back, you agree that you were driving the car and accept the penalty for the offence. Then you will get the paperwork for the bank transfer and paperwork that (normally) allows you to decide what 30 day period you want to be without a license (Germany is nice like that so you can plan around losing your license in advance). If you don't agree with the citation, they will produce the Einseitensensormessung, which is basically the camera shot of you driving the car with the speed measurement. The Einseitensensormessung has at least 2 pictures (1 showing the full frontal view of the car w/license number and 1 with a close up of the driver). Just keep in mind, if you deny and they produce the pictures, you can be cited for making a false statement (or whatever it's called over here) and more punishment/fines added.

Posted

... Just keep in mind, if you deny and they produce the pictures, you can be cited for making a false statement (or whatever it's called over here) and more punishment/fines added ...

Don´t worry, in Germany you´re legally entitled to lie "daß die balken sich biegen" ... you can´t be forced to or fined for refusing self-incrimination

Besides:

Simple accessories like a baseball cap and sunglasses make it hard to identify speeding drivers on police photos "beyond reasonable doubt"

post-19115-1205499031.jpg

Posted

ahhhhh that explains it all! right, thanks a lot for that. I was just starting to type out the whole letter as well!

cent believe they actually let you choose your 30 day ban period. what a fantastic country!

cheers everyone!

Posted

That's the first time I read in this forum that Germany is a fantastic country.

Maybe you should post what the fines for 46km/h over limit are in other countries.

Germany is cheap. If you don't obey the law you are not immediately killed.

Posted

Speeding fines and parking fines are a good deal here in Deutschland - compared with France and UK that is.

Posted

Go to the police station and take the letter with you,when you surrender your licence they will ask for your bank details.You can also arrange when you are going to give your licence up.

Posted

Out of curiousity, do they do much photo radar here? Just started driving a fair bit more and seeing this thread has me a bit worried!

And what do you have to do for them to suspend your license for a month?

Thanks

Posted

Mook..

Dont worry about looking for the cameras..

Just look for the speed limit signs and stay within the limit!

Posted

... And what do you have to do for them to suspend your license for a month? ...

Fahrverbot ...

Posted

Out of curiousity, do they do much photo radar here? Just started driving a fair bit more and seeing this thread has me a bit worried!

Not much (not enough?) so if "blitzed" you can claim its your unlucky day. There are fixed & mobile cameras.

However: HELP IS AT HAND: there is a simple solution - stick to the limits.

And what do you have to do for them to suspend your license for a month?

See the good old ADAC web pages... Verkehrssünden und ihre Auswirkungen

Posted

Hi Guys,

If you are banned for a month or two in Germany, are you still allowed to drive in the UK?

Are the points given here in Germany relayed to the UK?

Thanks

Neil

Posted

I don't think you have a point system in the UK? So they would only count for Germany. And well, they take your licence. So you can drive in the UK but you won't have your licence to show to the police if asked for it.