Mailing medication to Germany from the U.S.

89 posts in this topic

Posted

I take a medication which isn't sold in Germany. I ordered a three month supply online and sent to a friend's house in the States. She was going to mail it to me, but we aren't sure what she should write for the contents of the package. Should she just write "Prescription Medication?" or will it get stuck in Customs ? Has anyone had to do this before?

Posted

I do it all the time, I have the same situation. My mom just writes "candies" to explain the sound the package makes when it shakes.

Posted

I tell everyone to write geschenke or geburtstag geschenke because then i never have a issue with the ZOLL.

Posted

My mom sent me a package a few months ago and it was definitely opened and inspected. I would contact your local import office and ask them. I am sure they won't have any problems with it if you follow the protocol. I would think mislabeling it "Candies" would be a bad thing because they could open it and see the discrepency and then you might get flack but I am not sure.

RB

Posted

My mother-in-law sent my birth control pills to me (which are called Antibabypille here - that cracks me up!) and I had to go down to the Zollamt (customs) to get it. (My mother-in-law did not write pills on it or anything - I don't remember what she wrote.) My German friend went to her Apotheke and had them write a note for me saying that you couldn't get these pills in Germany. My friend told me I would probably have to pay the 19% tax on them. We went down there and the guy asked me how much they cost (presumably to calculate the tax that I would have to pay). He also looked at the letter the Apothekerin wrote and then he made us wait. Eventually he called us back up and I don't know why, but he just said "Take them." I didn't even have to pay anything!

I am not sure where I read this but apparently the legal way of doing this is to get your pharmacy in the states to send it directly to a pharmacy here.

Posted

I am soooo pissed now.

I order some homeopathic allergy pills from Amazon.com

and guess what? a letter in my mailbox with a green slip and Zollamt's address on it.

I sent my friend to pick it up (which might have been a bad idea since his german is not so good)

and he called and told me that they opened the box and decided to ship the damn thing back to the US.

what the f*ck!!!

i don't even know who to blame now. should have read the regulations before ordering it.

*sigh* no chance for appeal, NO.

He also told me the ppl there were very unfriendly.

why is it always so frustrating dealing with the german "Beamters"

yes, should have figured out the law before shipping things.

but why why why???

anyway.. ... am getting irrational.. better stop here now.

Posted

i don't even know who to blame now. should have read the regulations before ordering it.

Yourself - you even supply the answer.

yes, should have figured out the law before shipping things.

So very true :(

Posted

FWIW: When I received by post a few bottles of Colostrum from the US, I was called to the Zollamt and I was told that import of food items (food, food suppliments etc.. I do not know if this would include medication) is allowed only if you bring it along as a personal item when you are returning from the US, or if it is imported by a commercial entity such as a licenced importer. If it is posted to you, it may be sent back at your cost.

If your medicine needs refrigeration, then I am not sure if it would survive the godown in Zollamt while they decide its fate.

But if they allowed candy in, then you cd try your luck.

Posted

why is it always so frustrating dealing with the german "Beamters"

Try importing drugs illegally into the US and see how friendly the customs guys there are.

Amazon? .co.uk and no customs issues. :)

And what IS the American obcession with importing medication?

Like go to a doctor here and get a prescription.

Posted

but why why why???

Because them's the rules and they're stated quite clearly.

Have you checked to see if your medication is available here? Germany is a mecca for homeopathic stuff and you can usually walk into any pharmacy and get what you need.

Posted

... Germany is a mecca for homeopathic stuff ...

Samuel Hahnemann (10 April 1755 – 2nd July 1843) was a German physician who created homoeopathy ...

Posted

Has anyone suggested Doc Morris in Holland? If not, here it is :)

Posted

And what IS the American obcession with importing medication?

Price and/or availability.

Last time I did this successfully we used Fed Ex.

Posted

Price and/or availability.

I don't think I've ever seen a medicine mentioned that wasn't available in Germany or didn't have it's equivilent.

And with the maximum prescription charge for public health care patients being €10 I'm not sure a lot of money is going to be saved once you add in the FedEx charges and potential hassles.

Posted

My mother-in-law sent my birth control pills to me

My German friend went to her Apotheke and had them write a note for me saying that you couldn't get these pills in Germany

which are called Antibabypille here

So, cannot get them here, but you know the krout name for them? I'm with Monkstown - apart from Blackcurrant Lemsip, you can get exactly the same shit here as you can anyway else, and it is probably cheaper than the delivery costs alone. Baffled, I really am.

Posted

I don't think I've ever seen a medicine mentioned that wasn't available in Germany or didn't have it's equivilent.

Its not a medicine, more a Medication...

Germolene! Its made by a German company "Bayer" But I have never seen it in Munich!

Has anyone seen it here?

Posted

don_riina, some specific birth control pills may not be available in Germany. The one I took while living in the US for example is not. My doctor told me there is no pill as low-dosed as the one I took in the US available in Germany. For me it was no big deal as I just went back to the one I used to take before I moved to the US.

But anyway, if I were to move somewhere for a longer period of time, I would probably try to switch to a similar pill instead of having to have someone send it to me illegally and having to rely on it going through customs without any problems.

I don't really understand the obsession either. So what if you save a dollar here or there, unless you are permanently popping pills, it won't make that much of a difference. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle for me. Stock up while you're in the US visiting, and if you run out before you have a chance to stock up again, just buy the same (or a similar) thing in Germany.

Posted

Germolene! Its made by a German company "Bayer" But I have never seen it in Munich!

Sounds distinctly like the Bepanthen range of creams of which I've at least two in the house.

Available at any pharmacy and made by...Bayer.

http://www.bepanthen.de/

Posted

The what is the name for tussionex???

According to Wikipedia it's hydrocodone (in German: Hydrocodon), and in Germany the brand name is Dicodid. But anyway, you can always look up medication and write down the active ingredients, and take that list to a pharmacy in Germany and they'll be able to tell you the German equivalent. I am pretty sure you would have to get a prescription from a German doctor for this medication, it is almost certainly not available OTC.

Posted

That is most CERTAINLY prescription only in Germany, if the patient NEEDS it. I see it is regarded in the UK as a Class A drug with something like a maximum 20 year jail sentence for dealing it.

If it is widely available in the USA, I would advise NOT to mail it to Germany!

Posted

Its active ingredients are Chlorpheniramine and Hydrocodone, so it is a schedule III narcotic in the US, as would be expected.

If you have a medical need, go to the doctor and get a prescription.

This is not something to be mailing.

Posted

According to Wikipedia it's hydrocodone (in German: Hydrocodon), and in Germany the brand name is Dicodid. But anyway, you can always look up medication and write down the active ingredients, and take that list to a pharmacy in Germany and they'll be able to tell you the German equivalent. I am pretty sure you would have to get a prescription from a German doctor for this medication, it is almost certainly not available OTC.

Nope it is much more than hydrocodone. That is the problem, medication is not only the active ingredient, which many physicians and pharmacists confuse. It is the bioavailability, how it is released and the formulation. This is a strong cough medicine which maintains its effect for over six hours, ideal for sleeping. What is sold in Germany is absolute rubbish. I have access to any medicine that I want in Germany, but I can only get this in the US.

Posted

Combination drugs can indeed be a problem.

In this case, it isn't just Hydrocodone, as it is also Chlorpheniramine. Chlorpheniramine sells in German pharmacies (OTC) as Polaronil.

Since it is a narcotic though, you really need to be careful, however.

You should also read this:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/hydr...one/default.htm

Posted

But it is not simply Hydrocodone, which can be combined with different salts, for instance, HCl or bitartrate or polistirex. The last is the sustained release formula which is special for the effect. Slow release over a long period of time in a sweet tasting formulation. But I am using this only as an example. To the people who are naive to medications, it may seem that it is the same medication because the active ingredient is the same, but that is only one facet of a medication, and some will argue, not the most important aspect.