Mandatory quiet times in Munich (Ruhezeit)

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all,

I can't remember the name in German, but when is the "quiet time" during the day? I know it is at night as well, but I'm just trying to be sensitive to my neighbors during the day. ;-)

Thanks!

Posted

Usually 12 till 3, but check your Hausordnung (list of rules that come with a flat rental contract) if applicable. Sometimes 12 to 2 or 1 to 3.

Ruhezeiten is the word you're looking for. (Kay was faster, of course!)

It depends what you want to do, as well. 10 pm to 7 am everything has to be "Zimmerlautstärke" (not audible outside your own four walls). Edit: Deutscher Mieter-Bund says the legal Ruhezeit is 1 to 3, but your Hausordnung is allowed to extend this.

Posted

I can't remember the name in German

Ruhezeit.

Posted

If you're planning to use DIY equipment outdoors or mow the lawn, this is restricted to 7 am to 8 pm - including the Ruhezeiten.

Music is something else again and seems to be dependent on lots of individual court verdicts - one says 8 am - 12 noon and 2 pm - 8 pm and not too loud or annoying, but others actually restrict the length of practice time depending on the instrument (eg. accordion 90 minutes, drums 45 minutes a day) ...

Edit again (switch brain on before starting to post, eh): what Bipa said about Sundays. It's a hanging offence to mow the lawn on Sunday.

Posted

Can you point me to a couple of URLs with the specific rules written out? I'd like to forward/copy for use with some REALLY annoyingly loud neighbors. Thanks!

Posted

A woman shouted, "Es ist Sonntag, ich moechte meine Ruhe haben!" to some kids screaming their lungs off yesterday, Sunday afternoon in an otherwise peaceful, garden-setting. Made me laugh & reminded me to get up early on Sundays next time to go cycling.

Posted

A woman shouted, "Es ist Sonntag, ich moechte meine Ruhe haben!" to some kids screaming their lungs off yesterday...

Could you send her over here please? There are a couple of families just down the road who have around 6 kids between them, they seem spend all their time outdoors shrieking & screaming non-stop...

Posted

What if I was playing the piano NOT during the Ruhezeit nor Sunday but my neighbour rang the bell to ask me to quit it? What rights does he have, or is it just being neighbour-ly to quit it? When can I play the piano then? :( Last week he blast the music super loud past 10 p.m. but I didn't want to be un-neighbourly, I didn't knock on his door.

He also takes his dog in the elevator making it smell afterwards or smoke on the balcony next to mine and it gets drifted INTO my apartment. What are the rules on smell?

Posted

I think, after many discussion here, the rule on smell is close your windows.

Not sure about the lift. Maybe use the stairs.

:P

Posted

Laugh and shut the door in his face, he's being a bully.

(Not behaving typically German, just typically bully.)

Posted

@sarabyrd, I thought so. I'm a foreigner, he's German. He said he has no TV at home so it's very quiet, he hears everything. I wanted to say "Good luck to you next year when you are forced to pay GEZ!" but... I just said ok (but I'll play again in the new year) :)

Posted

I don't get it - what does GEZ have to do with it?

Posted

Nothing. It's not my fault that he has no TV. If I can't complain about his dog in the elevator nor the smoke from his balcony, he hasn't the right to complain when I play the piano during non-Ruhezeit.

Posted

Actually, he might well have. The time you are allowed to play instruments is well regulated (no surprises here then.. :D ). I think it's a maximum of an hour or two in any given day...you can google that.

Posted

The time you are allowed to play instruments is well regulated

Yep, google "Musizieren in der Wohnung".

Posted

@camlough, less than 5 min. Only played half a page. I'll print out those links in German & stick it in his mailbox along with a merry christmas. I have a copy of the Stadtrecht for music instrument playing 'guidelines' so was just checking here to see if anyone know better.