Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German words for "string cheese"

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Like the thread title asks . . . just curious if theres there a german word for "string cheese"?

Or is this an American thing? Thanks!

Posted

From what I can tell, Mozarella here is the littel white ball packed in small bags of brine. Or is there a different Mozarella hiding from me somewhere?

Posted

That's the thing. You cut them in slices and put them on your pizza. When you bake the pizza, it becomes stringy.

Posted

Isnt that true of most cheese when hot? Beside Mozarella tastes of nothing and has the texture of a rubber/eraser...

Posted

In the United States, "string cheese" generally refers to snack-sized servings of low-moisture mozzarella. This form of "string cheese" is roughly cylindrical, about 6 inches (15 cm) long and less than 1 inch (2 cm) in diameter. The cheese is cut and packaged, either individually or as a package of several lengths. The cheese used is nearly always a form of mozzarella but may be another semi-soft cheese. This type of string cheese is eaten by pulling strips of cheese from the cylinder along its length and eating these strings.

Posted

I don't think there is any string cheese in Germany. Take a close look at any cheese aimed at kids, because that's the only likely place they might have it.

Posted

Same as the German word for jam band, isn't it?

Posted

that recipe isn't normal. Most string cheese doesn't have caraway or any spice in it (at least spice that you can taste).

Posted

wtf 'string cheese' must be an american thing...never heard of it!

But morzeralla tastes good, REWE are doing a very tasty one fomr buffollos recently!

Posted

This sounds similar to a cheese snack you can get in the Czech Republic and Slovakia but I forget the name now.

Very highly salted and sold as an acompanyment to beer.

Posted

I know what string cheese is, but I'm 99% sure they don't have it here. I haven't comacross in the ten years I've been here, anyway.

Posted

I'm pretty sure this is the type of string cheese the OP is talking about

Posted

I'm sure he is, but if he can't buy it mass-produced and nicely wrapped, then maybe he can make his own. It does not need the spice, etc...

Posted

Looks like string cheese is indeed an american thing. Making it sounds like a fun project though. Thanks for the education.

>Same as the German word for jam band, isn't it?

sounds about right . . . :lol:

Posted

I'm pretty sure this is the type of string cheese the OP is talking about

lol yeah that's the kind we are using in the States. Our kids at the daycare LOVE it :)

Posted

Yup, I am Armenian by origin, and I remember my mother making them at home, following the traditionnal ways. You can buy them in Germany if you visit Turkish or Middle Eastern grocery stores, but if you don't like the spice added in, then perhaps the best thing would be to do it yourself and keep the spice out of the recipe. :P

Posted

wtf 'string cheese' must be an american thing...never heard of it!

But morzeralla tastes good, REWE are doing a very tasty one fomr buffollos recently!

String cheese is available in the UK too:

Cheestrings