Rejected in opening a Comdirect bank account

48 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently started a job in Frankfurt and wanted to open a decent German bank account to get my wages paid into.

Comdirekt looked good because it offered a Girokonto without fees (most German banks charge around 5 euros a month simply to have an account with them, which I find ridiculous), and even offered an interest rate of 3.8 per cent, whereas most banks offer nothing on a current account (yet another mystery of the German banking system to me). Also, as a Smile bank customer in the UK, I am a great fan of hassle-free internet banking, and I had high hopes for Comdirekt.

From the day I completed my online application for a Girokonto, it took Comdirekt thirteen days to send me a rejection letter. This came as a huge disappointment. It was all the more frustrating and annoying, given that the letter requested my understanding for them not being able to reveal the 'concrete reasons' for my rejection.

It was interesting to read 'bantheinternet's' post yesterday. At least Citibank, gave a reason for their rejection, although pathetic and discriminatory.

Are German banks xenophobic? Has anyone else had an experience like this?

I have now given up resistance to having to pay a bank to hold and use my money. I opened a Deutsche Bank account pretty smoothly, and will pay about 5 euros a month for the privelege. Of course, the interest rate is a reliable 0.0 per cent.

Posted

I called them and could not tell me why I was rejected over the phone. They said I should send a written query. This, I will certainly do.

Posted

It's possible that you failed their little checklist because you don't have a credit history in Germany. Banks would normally go through a list, ticking little boxes, and only welcome you as a customer if you score enough points. Not having a credit history would usually score you a big minus. Banks are also very protective of exactly what's on their list: they argue that if you know what they're scoring against, you can somehow abuse the system.

Of course, all this is merely conjecture on my part.

Posted

I had issues trying to open an account when I first moved here, most banks will not deal with you if your are temporarily here. But since you are an UK citizen, there should be no reason why you are not taken.

Ask them, or go to the Post Bank or Sparkasse, not as cheap, but I know they accept non germans.

Posted

I've had no problems with Comdirect (see related thread Opening an account with Comdirect), however I came to them after being unhappy with Dresdner, not direct from the UK. The same goes for a canuck colleague who just switched. As Carm says, they often have issues if you appear to be non-permanent in their eyes, but often it just seems to be a complete lottery as to whether you get hassle or not.

Posted

I had issues trying to open an account when I first moved here, most banks will not deal with you if your are temporarily here. But since you are an UK citizen, there should be no reason why you are not taken.

Ask them, or go to the Post Bank or Sparkasse, not as cheap, but I know they accept non germans.

Yep, go with anyone who will have you when you first move here (grit your teeth and bare it).

Wait for several months, receive some pay, get a credit card from the bank that accepted you, perhaps even open a savings account with them, and try to apply for a better account again.

It may be worth also trying to open a savings only account. This shouldn't have such credit check restrictions as you can not go overdrawn.

Posted

Or try DKB. They also offer a free* online bank account (I couldn't find anywhere that said they would charge any fees, so I'm taking this as free. Yes, I went searching through all the terms and conditions... so just keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't miss the €10 per month fee somewhere!).

You have to pay when using their EC Karte, but you can withdraw cash from ATMs using the Visa card you get for free.

Posted

Other free accounts with no minimum monthly incoming deposit:

DKB (as mentioned) http://www.dkb.de (free ATM usage worldwide when using the VISA--not EC--card)

1822Direkt http://www.1822direkt.de (a part of the Frankfurter Sparkasse--free ATM usage at Sparkassen nationwide)

norisbank http://www.norisbank.de (a unit of Deutsche Bank--free ATM usage at Deutsche Bank and the whole Cash Group)

bbbank http://www.bbbank.de (free ATM usage at CashPool plus two free ATM transactions at BANKCARD ServiceNetz ATMs per month)

Posted

even my wife - German - was rejected from Comdirect, appearantly because she is self-employed/freelancing and not an employee. From what we understood after checking back with them, this particular fee-free account with the top-interest rate is offer basically only to employees with a net-salary income in excess of 2000 or 2500 EUR month. Of course, Comdirect is mainly a broker/hard-selling subdivision for Commerzbank and their main goal is to the sell insurances, investment funds and other alternative investments to new clients which they try to attract with the account and they might have more success with employees than with freelancers...

Cheerio

Posted

Yep, go with anyone who will have you when you first move here (grit your teeth and bare it).

Wait for several months, receive some pay, get a credit card from the bank that accepted you, perhaps even open a savings account with them, and try to apply for a better account again.

It may be worth also trying to open a savings only account. This shouldn't have such credit check restrictions as you can not go overdrawn.

after sitting and almost crying, they did let me open a savings account, and once I had at least one year residency they would let me open a normal account.

Posted

Good grief...

I can understand a bank not wanting to give someone without a credit history in Germany an account with a Dispo (line of credit), but it is a shame how many people report various troubles opening an account.

Even if you are in Germany for a couple of months, everything occurs via bank transfer, so it really is essential to have a bank account if you want to get paid or pay bills.

Posted

They are currently demanding that I provide a meldbestätingung less than 6months old in order to open a girokonto. I have already IDed myself at the Post office and I have a Tagesgeld with them - they didn't need it then...

Sigh!

Posted

as someone said it probably is credit history as it goes into a computer calculation and nowadays with cost cutting, etc, not many bankers actually calculate individual cases or highlight some.

I wont be dissappointed to be honest, yes its frustrating, I couldnt even get my postident done cos they didnt know how to do it properly.

There are absolutely loads of banks in Germany that do not charge but you have low interest rates (due to the whole world economica situtation) but generally have some conditions of meeting minimum income levels.

I got mine with the local bank, had a chat face to face with the bank manager, she wasnt happy but they gave me a full account in the end. So if your struggling, try a face to face bank to get some credit history going. And in general you will not lose much between bank accounts in my opinion, they are all pretty much the same.

the only other factor I thought of was easy of cash point access and contacting them in case of any troubles (being non-german, I guessed I would struggle more with fully internet banking over counter based whilst I adapt to language and country)

savings accounts and so forth, is a different matter

Posted

Try a DKB-Cash account.

I managed to start one when I was still in Australia. You get a VISA card with it which you can easily keep in credit and get cash for free at almost any ATM on Earth. They have always been quick and helpful when I have had to email a question.

From memory Commdirekt replied and told me I can’t have an account (without giving a reason) when I emailed them to ask if I could start one and ING DiBa didn't reply to me at all.

Posted

hi all

i was in the same situation. i applied for comdirect girokonto...no overdraft or anything that would be risky for them but because i was rejected owing to that 'schufe' means test they apparently do. i had to wait over 2 weeks to be given a PFO, was not impressed! I had some choice words/expletives for comdirect that week!!

I reckon the main reason for them rejecting me was that i didnt fill in the job line (as i wasnt sure where i would be working) and they didnt want to give an account (and those precious 50euro opening bonus) to someone who wouldnt have money coming in. My reasoning anyway.

Feck them.

I went with ing.diba and got my girokonto, free of charge, with credit card first time round.

Took ages to get the proof of person done and to get all the cards and the codes and the sign-into-internet banking malarkey sorted, but i did it in the end!Also Im only here since september and i was doing all of this in november...so it cant be a minimum time as munich/german resident thing!!

So the ultimate lesson, if at first you dont succeed, try somewhere else!

I had no probs with ingdiba and i get 50 (maybe 75, not sure) starter bonus too. Take that comdirect!! ;)

Best of luck with your bank, give diba a go!

PS

Posted

Commerzbank also has free Girokonto provided u do a transaction of at least 1200 Euros per month. It is my salary account. So no problem there.

I also opened a ComDirect account as they were offering a free Visa Card(not credit card) which will be directly linked to my account, for use in online transactions. Also I could keep this account opened even if I am not in Germany for tax returns etc. But they did not give the Visa card and conveyed that they changed their policy and will give it only to salary account holders.

One of their customer care executives also talked rudely to one of my colleagues.

So now, I am gonna reject them B) and will mail them their shredded debit card. :P

Posted

I´ve been trying to get an account with comdirect also. I moved to Berlin in September, started working in October and the 16:th of October I sent my papers to them.

After waiting a couple of weeks without hearing from them, I mailed them and asked them what was up. I had to send them my meldebescheinigung (which i showed at the post-office so i thougt they got it already), so I did.

The next week I got a letter where they told me they couldn´t open an account for me because I hadn´t sent all the necessary papers. I called them, and after introducing myself in german and asking if she spoke english she kindly replied "yes, but it is better to speak german because it is a german bank". Anyway, since I don´t speak german she was nice enough to speak (very good) english with me anyway, and told me that I needed to send my meldebescheinigung. I told her that I already mailed it, whereafter she said I had to fax it. I checked my earlier mail-correspondence which said i could fax OR e-mail it, and read it out loud for her. She had to check that up again, and then got back to me and told me it was ok to mail it. Before hanging up she (again, kindly) told me to speak german in future communication. "Ok, I´ll try to learn it ASAP". Click.

So, I google-translated my mail telling them about my phone-call and mailed them my meldebescheinigung again. I got a reply where they told me stamp wasn´t visible enough. I scanned it again, in even better quality.

A couple of days later, I recieved an e-mail where they told me they had all the information and had sent me information about my konto-öffnung by regular mail.

I got the letter today, it reads something like this:

"Sehr geehrter Herr (me)...

We have gone through your Antrag and processed it through an automatic... bla bla

We can´t open an account for you.

If you have any questions, we are glad to answer them for you." (Which I will, tomorrow, even if I´ve already decided to choose another bank.)

I wish it wouln´t have taken this long for them to come to this conclusion (of which I have no idea what it is based on)...

So, from my experiences, I really can´t recommend this bank.

Posted

So, from my experiences, I really can´t recommend this bank.

I pretty much had the exact same experience and 10 days after I started the application I received a letter informing me that they cannot open my account, and not offering a specific reason, just generalities.

To be honest, the rejection does not bother me, neither does the fact that they did not give me a reason. What does really bother me is that I needed to go through a process of sending them dead trees and calling and what not, in addition to having to receive my salary in cash, therefore inconveniencing the HR at my work, just so that they tell me something that they could have when I wrote the electronic application, and then printed it out. Why waste my time? On top of that when I wrote to them on Facebook, to request the 100€ of the "if you don't like us" part of their add ( they are currently running an ad campaign that claims that they will pay you 50€ when you open an account and 100€ when you don't ), the reply I got was: " for legal reasons we can only provide support in English", which to me sounds like a cop out.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I opened an account with Postbank in 10 minutes, and they contacted my employer themselves to inform them of my salary account (that makes the account free).

My advice is: don't waste your time with comdirect, they have absolutely no respect for you as a client. On the other hand Postbank had fantastic service and quick response.

Posted

What does really bother me is that I needed to go through a process of sending them dead trees and calling and what not

I've been thinking about this (as myself and my GF have applied to DKB for a joint account) and I suppose they have to go through the formal postIdent thing etc. BEFORE they can go getting your Schufa score. Otherwise you could apply in anyone's name and they'd be accessing a Shufa for which they had absolutely no consent. So, it is a bit of a pain to have to identify yourself etc. only to be refused, but they keep the fees down (to nothing) by having everything done this way.