Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy dogs and puppies

45 posts in this topic

Posted

Can anyone help?

I want to buy a dog! ok where do I start - Does anyone know the names of any breeders of small to medium dogs or even where there is a rescue home?

Thanks

Floss

Crosslink by admin: Where to buy a dog

Posted

i got my last dog from a pet shelter and he was the best dog i've ever owned. i miss him sooooo much... he had to stay state-side :(

Posted

First decide what particular breed you want. They have very different personalities. Do you want a sedate (weiner dog) or an active dog (JRT)? How soon do you imagine getting one? Are you sure that you actually want one? Seriously, lots of people soon decide that they wish that they hadn't. I have two JRTs, very active and family friendly. :)

Posted

Yeah - I'm really sure - I have had dogs all my life - mainly golden retrievers and a couple of rescue dogs (mixed breed).

I would like to know where I can go and speak to breeders or at the rescue home so that I can ensure the dogs temperament as far as possible.

Posted

my best dog ever was also from the pound. He was a mixture between a border collie and a golden lab. Most intelligent dog ever but untirable so needed plenty of excercise.

I would always recommend mixed-breed dogs and also dogs from the pound.

Posted

Breeders outside Munich will be far cheaper than those close in. JRTs can run 300-2000 depending on papers and breeders.

Check the animal shelter, but then you will not know the background of the dog. Many here are imported from outside the country believe it or not.

In the local papers you will usually find someone selling pups without papers and nicely priced. At least then you can meet the owners, the parent(s), and have a better feel for the eventual size and personality of the dog.

There is a puppy test guide for personality traits to be found on the internet. It worked with ours. :)

Posted

I say go to the pound. both my dogs came from there and they were the most wonderful creatures ever. So full of love. My auntie always goes for pedigrees and my uncle breeds show boxers, and they may look pretty but they're not a match for a mongrel personality wise.

Plus, I could never bring myself to pay 300 € for a dog when there are so many in desperate need of love in the pound.

Posted

Go to the pound, all 3 of my dogs came from there, and they are the greatest dogs ever. Toy fox terrier, Chiuahua collie mix, and something medium and black, never got around to learning what he is. BEWARE CAUTION WARNING DANGER! You can get addicted to the pound, with all the puppies that want you to want them and then you want to rescue all of them, but you can't, not matter how much you want to. Be strong, be aggressive. BREAK!

Posted

although both of our dogs are purebred, i agree that the pound is the best. i will never have another purebred dog. don't get me wrong, our dogs are great and extremely intelligent (an australian cattle dog and a border collie), but they have been bred to have a job and without a job they're completely nuts. the cattle dog is ridiculously obsessed with frisbees and the border collie has a crazy fascination with shadows and flashlights. i know that doesn't sound that bad, but their minds can only focus on one thing since it's in their bredding. a mutt, on the other hand, isn't specialized and i think that makes a better dog.

also, i think mutts seem less susceptible to disease and health problems. our cattle dog is only 4 years old and he has slight hip dysplasia, epilepsy and a possible nasal tumor. he's happy, spoiled rotten and doing fine with my parents now though...thankfully. :)

Posted

@ Mbangura: that is sooooo true! my parents left me at home whenthey went to choose, and only took me once they were firmly set on a dog cos they knew I'd want to take every single one of em home! We took a beautiful tiny puppy, labrador/collie cross (we think, never did find out!) who grew up to be the most wonderful fluffy mutt ever, I loved that dog so much.

Point is, that even my Dad fell in love with every single animal there, especially a big rottweiler who jumped on him and started liking his face as soon as it saw him! So no matter how strong you think you are, it's such a hard thing to do, so yeah, be prepared!!

Posted

Thanks for all these replies - I appreciate it.

Does anyone know where any dog pounds are? I live near Freising so north of Munich is ideal but not necessary!

Thx

Posted

hi. was picking up our labrador henry today at the kennel and the proprietor, frau kufner, mentioned she has another lab who needs a home. she also has some miniature schnauzers. i know you are looking for a small to medium dog, but i have got to put in a plug for the labrador. they are wonderful, calm, friendly dogs. we love ours beyond all belief.

i rescued henry and it was the best thing i have done in my entire life. there is no need to ever buy a dog unless you are fixated on certain breed. a rescued dog knows you chose him and i think they appreciate it.

here's a link to the kennel in case you are interested.

jane

Posted

Does anyone know where any dog pounds are?

There is one in Riem/Daglfing, close to the Daglfing horse-race center.

Posted

To get a puppy with papers from a serious breeder will cost u at minimum 600,00 up to €1.000,00 or more for the more seldom breeds.

There are a lot of “black sheeps

Posted

... a rescued dog knows you chose him and i think they appreciate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, its like being adopted!

Posted

Thanks Rubber Duck

Thats really good advice. I will have a look in the weekly newspaper and see if I can't find a dog that needs a good home there.

Thanks again

Floss

Posted

I just got the sweetest puppy in the world (ok, maybe I'm biased) - I found the ad on Quoka - look under "tiere" and then "hunde" and then limit the search based on your postal code. This is actually a great website for everything - apartments, etc.

Also...

Welpen.de

Hundewelpen.de

are two good sites with links to breeders (Zuechter) all over Germany and Austria. Many of the breeders' sites are in English as well.

Posted

Hey all,

Could I post it here? Does anyone has experience to adopt puppy dog in Munich? How to do?

I really appreciate if you could tell me exact address to adopt and pay dog-tax and so on?

It's not money issue. I don't want to BUY my friend.

Thanks

Golems

Topics merged by admin