Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Deutsche Bahn moves into British rail market

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Germany's state-owned rail company Deutsche Bahn (DB) has announced it is going to buy the operator of passenger services in central and southern England. The purchase would make it a major player in the British market.

Full report from DW world.

Posted

About time to. All they have to do now is stop selling off their own routes to the awful foreign operators like Connex and Arriva and we'll be getting somewhere.

Edit: According to the article, the existing British management team will remain in place, so this seems to be nothing more than a profit-creaming exercise. Don't really blame them; a lot of private individuals have made vast fortunes from the disastrous railway privitisation. Passengers and tax-payers haven't done quite so well of course.

Posted

My friend sent me this photo of a newly introduced service from Birmingham Moor Street to Marylebone

post-19162-13119415158935_thumb.jpg

Posted

Regional train services (even those operated by DB Regio) have become so shit since they became competitive that I doubt NE can do any worse. Compare for example the Fugger Express, where the seat pitch is less than on a Ryanair plane.

Posted

At least the trains will finally be punctual.

Posted

Almost, there's a little bitty of track from London St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel called High Speed 1.

Posted

PS- Is Britain still the only country without a high-speed train in Europe?)

No, there are plenty of western European countries without high-speed rail. Andorra, Vatican City and Lichtenstein are three that spring to mind immediately.

Posted

On a French ministerial website I have seen the railways in UK described in a single word. Dilapidated.

Does anyone across the Channel know that is how others see the UK?

Posted

Well we shall not start on the 'what do we English think of the French" topic....

Posted

May the Force be with me.

PS- Is Britain still the only country without a high-speed train in Europe?)

Switzerland, Austria & Portugal, along with most of Scandinavia have very little in the way of high speed rail routes... and if you include eastern Europe, then the majority of European countries have little or no high speed routes.

Posted

Hang on a minute - didn't National Express have no money and had to be bailed out by the government for their London-Edinburgh routes?

Posted

National Express East Coast. It was their predecessors that went bankrupt, National Express just walked away from the franchise because it was losing them too much money, before the parent company ran out of its own money.

Posted

Does anyone across the Channel know that is how others see the UK?

The difference is that the British railways are slowly getting better while the German railways are slowly getting worse. If they haven't passed each other yet then it's only a matter of time.

Posted

National Express East Coast. It was their predecessors that went bankrupt, National Express just walked away from the franchise because it was losing them too much money, before the parent company ran out of its own money.

Just clarifying on the precessors. GNER didn't go bankrupt, as I understand it, it was the parent company that became insolvent, and was then forced to give up the franchise.

My understanding was that the GNER business was a going, abeit not very profitable, concern (I may be wrong there). The opposite situation to National Express.

This might reflect on how suited National Express are to operate on German rails.