Clothing repair and alteration services

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know of a good tailor for altering clothes in the Kreuzberg district?

Thanks!

Posted

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where I can take my pants to get patched (and perhaps how I would ask for it to be done in German). I seem to be wearing through my jeans in no time in this city! Just need a couple of patches in a couple of pairs of jeans. A place in the Pankow/Prenzlauerberg/Mitte area would be great if you know of one, but I'm more concerned about the price (and perhaps the quality) than it being close to home.

I can't manage to find anything on the topic in the forum, and I thought it may be useful for more people than just myself. I've been in Berlin for a couple of months now, and just realized that this is one topic I have no clue about.

Thanks!!!

Posted

I've have good experiences with every tailor/seamstress I've been to in Berlin. I don't think you can go wrong with ducking into a place near you.

I go to a seamstress in Charlottenburg - she is Russian and very capable. Located in a small shop on Holtzendorffstrasse, near the corner of Leonardstrasse. (I think it's Holtzendorffstrasse 6 ... next door to a dive bar called "carpe diem")

Posted

Well, this is probably too far away for you, but the seamstress in the Tegel Markthall is AMAZING and not expensive. She alters all of my suits for me because I am a midget and German business attire never fits me properly.

Posted

Does anyone know of a decent tailor in the Prenz'lberg/Mitte area where I can get my jeans hemmed? I don't need the future Yves Saint Laurent, just someone who can sew a straight hem for reasonably cheap.

Posted

Although I'm no expert, there was a Vietnamese tailor/dry cleaner on the south side of the Kopenhagener Strasse, about 100 metres from the Schoenhauser, who did a little repair for me last year and seemed very nice and good.

Posted

There is a place in the schoenhauser alle arcarden, I think somewhere under c&a (bottom floor) - they used to offer a 1/2/3 hours service if you are in a hurry.

Posted

venus did some sewing for me and she is really good

Posted

Can anyone recommend a great tailor (hopefully not too expensive) somewhere in Berlin?

I live in mitte but willing to travel anywhere in Berlin for a great place.

I'd like to get rid of the cuffs and the pleats, and also widen the waist a bit.

It's supposedly a big job since they have to undo the whole pant leg to get rid of the pleat.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

I doubt you want to schlep out to Tegel, but if you do, there is a fabulous seamstress in the Tegel Markthall (S-Bahn Alt Tegel or U-Bahn Tegel).

Kind regards,

Sara

Posted

I'm also looking for someone who can custom-tailor jeans---I've lost some weight (yay! mostly because Berlin food ain't so great) and ordinarily I'd happily buy smaller ones but the price of Levis here makes alterations a far more attractive propostion. My local alterations lady at the dry cleaners is good, but she just takes in the waist, which still leaves my bottom rattling around like a pea in a wastebasket. I'd like to find someone who can raise the crotch, narrow the legs etc., and I'm willing to pay accordingly (or sell the jeans and use the money to buy new ones!)

Posted

I bought some trousers while recently back in the US, but I didn't have time to get them tailored. So, does anyone know a good one in town? I live in Treptow, but the one in the Park Center has a habit of ruining our clothes. I'd rather not trust him with $200 trousers. Thanks.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

There is one on Wrangel Strasse. Cannot remember the name.

Failing that I have also used the one upstairs in Freidrichstrasse Bahnhof.

Posted

Do not go to the tailor at Friedrichstrasse S-Bahn station. They might be okay for shortening your pants an inch or two, but they cannot handle anything more complex than that. They tried to shorten the sleeves on 4 of my suit jackets, and messed up 3 of them. On one of them they didn't shorten the inner lining proprerly; the excess lining almost leaks out of the sleeve. Another one they tried to shorten the sleeve at the shoulder, and they messed up the stitching...and this was a bespoke suit. Avoid at all costs!

Posted

Hi,

I found a great little seamstress not far from the Jannowitz Brucke Sbahn stop. She speaks English, is very friendly and works out of her apartment. She also has a side business of tuxedo rental, I think.

Dorothée Warning

Schneidermeisterin

Brückenstraße 15a

D-10179 Berlin

Mo, Di, Do, Fr

10-13 und 15-18 Uhr

oder nach Vereinbarung

fon 030 313 6545, 312 1187

fax 030 3150 6100

email w@rningx.com

home http://schneiderei-warning.xpoint.de

Hope that's helpful! ;)

Posted

that's very helpful!

I looked at the website and all the pictures were of female dresses. Might be a dumb question, but do you think she can do a good job on men's suit alterations? something like fixing terrible stitching (done by the Friedrich tailors) where the arm meets the body, etc...

Thanx for your input. Speaking English is a deifnite plus!