Where to buy a meat pie in Germany

140 posts in this topic

Posted

As an Australian, there is only one food item that I would find it truly hard to live without here - Vegemite. Fortunately I have managed to establish a supply line for it. However, there are a few things that I get a hankering for relatively often. Chief among these are pies and sausage rolls. Given that I am living in Nordfriesland at the moment, but pass through Kiel and Hamburg relatively often, can anyone suggest where I might be able to get my hands on either or both of the above? I am not keen on buying frozen pies from places such as the Australia Shope in Hamburg (if they even have them) as I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices they charge for things. I have heard that meat pies of a sort may be found in Hamburg but I am yet to discover where. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Short of anywhere that pies or sausage rolls could be purchased in anyone has recipes for them I would also be very interested.

While on the topic, I would be interested to hear thoughts on the following: Dead horse - on top the pie or injected through the crust?

Posted

Well, if you put the dead horse on top of the pie, wouldn't that kind of crush the pie? But if you injected it (how would you get the dead horse to be liquid enough to be injectable in the first place?) that would make a huge pie...

I suppose it's personal taste whether you would like your pie with pureed horse, or crushed by one. ;)

Posted

You poor guy stuck in the frozen wastes of NF...

Never seen what you describe in my 25+ years here... However my wife made excellent sausage rolls a few weeks ago for her birthday (& she is local!)

Posted

HEM, your wife rocks! Her birthday and she makes the food.

Neadertaler, there are a number of links provided for pie recipes if you use the Search function. Dunno if a Kiwi pie is the same as an Aussie pie but Timmeh provided a link to a good recipe.

Posted

This has got me all hungry now! First thing I'm doing when I go home is get a pie at a gas station...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Posted

Buy a pie maker (well get one sent over from Australia) and make your own. They're really easy to make. cook some mince beef and onion, add to a pot with water. Heat it up and add lots of Fleischsosse, some chicken stock, Worcester sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste and a dash of red wine if you like. Simmer for 10 or 15 minutes. Add a thickening agent (or flour), until it's not too runny, simmer at low heat for another 5 minutes. Then make it in the pie maker using Blätter Teig for pastry.

Posted

HEM, your wife rocks! Her birthday and she makes the food.

Shes quite good at other things as well :wub: such as correcting the German text in my Power Point (ouch) presentations I have to give tomorrow.

Yes - Sunday - never take on any voluntary tasks...

I think first time she ate sausage rolls was one Boxing Day MANY years ago (before we were married) at my parent's house in the Cheshire countryside & the local farmers organised a clay pigeon shoot. They offered the 12-bore to my wife & she missed the first 10.. My bother's then girlfriend refused to even try. In the second round the farmer was loading the gun each time for my girl & finally she hit one. After that there were sausage rolls in the farmhouse. She was always a favourite of the farmers after that...

Posted

If you ever run into a British soldier based in Germany, I am sure he would be more than glad to nip into the Naafi and buy some pies and sausage rolls for you, but I have a feeling you are too far from any British Bases. You poor thing. Next best suggestion really is from last poster who gave you the recipe to make your own and they will without doubt taste better too. The pie makers are brilliant and can be purchased on the net I would imagine. Also you are sure to find other versions of these recipes on www.cooks.com Good luck and if you are lucky guten appetit!

Posted

As Hazza says get used to making your own.Do mine in a pie maker,make Cornish pasties and my own mushy peas.My brother in law used to crave for fish and chips with mushy peas but not anymore.He laughed the first time when i served him up the stuff in a plastic tray with a plastic knife and fork on a plate. :lol:

Posted

I also miss pies, sausage rolls and expecially cheese & onion pasties. While at the Greenfarm festival in the summer however I enjoyed a pepper steak pie which was sold at one of the food stalls...even had "real" coleslaw aswell. It was yummy...picked up this leaflet on Tim's Gourmet Pies. Not sure if they deliver elsewhere in Germany but it might be worth looking into!

Posted

Tim's gourmet pies aren't really very similar to an Aussie meat pie

Posted

Tim's Gourmet pies are available at The Arc plus a few of the other expat bars in Munich.

As Hazza says, they are not similar to the ones he described making, but they are excellent and I have just taken delivery of the latest version of Peppersteak Pie which is larger and contains more steak than previously.

I also know that he is planning on adding a chicken & mushrrom pie to his range.

MT

Posted

There must be a good market for the pie here in Germany...I can't see how the krauts couldn't love a steak and cheese pie. The beef could be replaced with pork or turkey if beef is too exotic for them

Posted

And Cornish pasties. When we were in Oxford last year we came across the Cornish Pastie shop in the pedestrian centre and they were varied & excellent. I think my son ate two.

Posted

...The beef could be replaced with pork or turkey...

That is not a pie. That is an abomination.

Posted

Tim's gourmet pies aren't really very similar to an Aussie meat pie

Excuse my ignorance, but how is an Aussie meat pie different from other meat pies? I thought the gourmet pies were tasty in any case! Some other people might be happy to eat them too, even if they don't meet your requirements.

Posted

I don't know what an Aussie meat pie is, but Tim's Gourmet Meat Pies are also nothing like a NZ pie...Tim's Gourmet Meat Pies are made by a Saffer I think so I assume they're akin to the Saffer style of meet pie...tasty they are, but I still miss the kiwi pie

Posted

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I had already thought that I would end up making my own and have been searching for good recipes. Will have a look for pie-makers on the web. I had hoped that there might be some options for buying a nice hot pie however. Nothing like a hot pie on a cold winters day (e.g. at the footy) and I have always preferred picking up a pie to patronising McDonalds or other such places when I want something quick, tasty and unhealthy to munch on.

Posted

Nothing beats the drunken meat pie from the service station at 3 in the morning...bliss

Posted

Ok, could someone please explain to me what an Aussie, Kiwi and Saffer meat pie is?? I get it that they all seem to be different, but how? Is it the pastry, filling, gravy or what??

BTW the English shop in Heidelberg sells meat pies and when it gets close to xmas they have sausage meat, which is quite cheap (well cheap for the Piccadilly anyhoo), then all you need are some sheets of blatterwhatever & bobs your uncle.

Posted

I haven't had an Aussie meat pie so I can't comment on them, from what I hear they're good, but not Kiwi pie good (that's from multiple Aussies) I hear a rumour that you can't buy a steak & cheese pie in Aussieland...can someone confirm this?

I assume that Tim's Gourmet pies are representative of Saffer pies? In which case they're smaller with less filling than a kiwi pie, they feel less hearty somehow...I think that's a result of a different gravy. Kinda hard to put your finger on it.

One of my fav pies:

post-2021-1196072237.jpg

The standard selection of meat pies available in NZ

I miss them so so so so much.

Posted

Timmeh, for you I will do a Tour de Pie with pictures during my trip as an independent pie assessor.

If Air NZ charges me extra for the flight back, I will send TT my bill.

Points of reference will be the Dumfries bakery Scotch Pie that I had yesterday, my mum's Steak Pie from friday, Tim's Gourmet Pies (which I think are Tim's Gourmet Pie of Air and Not Much Filling or Taste to be honest) and Hazza's Meat Pie (pretty darn good but wee).

The Chico Roll may also be sampled as a comparison.

Posted

Excuse my ignorance, but how is an Aussie meat pie different from other meat pies? I thought the gourmet pies were tasty in any case! Some other people might be happy to eat them too, even if they don't meet your requirements.

An Aussie meat pie has a lot of gravy. The gourmet pies don't - they have a little bit of seasoned sauce in them.

And what's with the comment of gourmet pies being tasty "even if they don't meet my requirements"? Neanderthaler is an Aussie looking for a meat pie. So the assumption is he's looking for an Aussie style meat pie. If he buys a gourmet pie, he's going to find that it's not what he expected, so why shouldn't I inform him of that?

In any case, I'm not much of a fan of those gourmet pies. When I want a pie, I just want a basic beef pie with a shitload of gravy, not an asparagus and quail or curried lentil and bison or whatever all those other fancy flavours are. But each to their own...

Posted

I remember back in the day at school we used to be able to buy meat pies which have been smushed into a long bread roll. I'm sure, for health reasons, these would no longer be on the school tuck shop menu. Mmmmmmm, steak & cheese pie in a roll with tomato sauce.

post-2021-1196074717_thumb.jpg

Posted

I hear a rumour that you can't buy a steak & cheese pie in Aussieland...can someone confirm this?

Indeed you can, but I have only ever seen them from independent pie makers - cornershop fellas - rather than the bigger pie makers such as Villi's, or Balfour's.

Never seen anything like Ponsonby Pies, or Georgie Pie (which was sold to fucking McDonald's!) in Oz though.

As for NZ vs. Oz pies, tough call. Used to have one place that I used to frequent regularly that would shit over anything NZ sourced, but for your run-of-the-mill meat pie from the deli/dairy, I think NZ wins by a whisker.