Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy pumpkin pie

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there any place in Munich where one can buy a pumpkin pie? Or am I dreaming?

Posted

Most probably! Maybe you should speak nicely to one of the TT ladies who has baking skills amongst her attributes...then you can get to eat a home-baked pie :P

Posted

If someone has the time, I would happily buy a pie or two from someone on TT.

Posted

perhaps one of those lovely ladies could also post a recipe? :D

Posted

I would also buy Punkin Pies. And, for that matter, butter tarts.

Posted

Muffins & More in the Volkartstr. (Volkartstr. exit of Rotkreuzplatz U-Bahn) might have pumpkin pie on sale - but phone & check first.

Tel: 089-55 06 37 96

Posted

Marina (the pie maker) is Canadian and JJ who works there also speaks English, so just ask for Pumpkin Pie.

They generally always have apple pie, several different cheesecakes, pecan pie... sold mostly by the slice, but will sell you a whole one (or bake to order with notice - tend to get my birthday cheesecake from them).

Posted

butter tarts.

ButterTarts are a Canadian thing, very hard to find anywhere else. I do make them and a Buttertart slice, the slice is much easier, as I don't have tart tins. But if someone buys me the tart tins I would make them.

Posted

Thank you to Katrina and Conquistador! I ordered two from Muffins n More (22 Euro each), and they will be ready tomorrow evening. Prior to calling Muffins n More, I walked around the block where I live, inquiring in three bakeries (two of them from the Wimmer chain) about Kürbiskuchen. People looked at me as if I was crazy. :lol:

Posted

I would love some pumpkin pie. How do you make it fresh if you don't have canned pumpkin at hand, or can you buy canned pumpkin in Germany? (I've never seen it.) And the pie crust? I suppose that would be easier to make from scratch though.

Could someone please post a recipe on how to make pumpkin pie in Germany (with German ingredients or ones that can be bought there), that does not take all day?

Posted

There are recipes and locations to buy all necessary ingredients on previous threads. Use the advanced search and you'll find loads of stuff.

Posted

Thanks. I think I want to (try to) make one when I am home in a month. :) Will try to use the search function. I wish they would sell pie crusts and canned pumpkin in Germany though, haha.

Posted

I searched but couldn't find anything...I must be doing something wrong :(

Mariposa...if you find something good - can you send it to me? Gracias

Posted

I wish they would sell pie crusts and canned pumpkin in Germany though, haha.

One specific post said that you can get canned pumpkin here in Munich at Käfer's.

Posted

Try looking at these threads: pumpkin canned

It helps if you spell things correctly. Whoever was looking for "tirkey" probably didn't find anything useful.

Posted

Yeah I saw that just now, it is a few years old but I will go and see if they still have it. If not, it might be too much effort. I'll have to see. (Never made pumpkin pie, not even with canned pumpkin.)

Posted

I'm not bothered about canned or not canned pumpkin, just trying to find a recipe for pumpkin pie. I've done the search thingy and I found this thread, pumpkin soup recipe and a recipe for pumpkin pie in squash cups, but that's about it.

I guess I'll just google and find one on a recipe website. Just thought someone here might have a tried and tested one they managed to make here.

Thanks anyway

Posted

I've done the search thingy and I found this thread, pumpkin soup recipe and a recipe for pumpkin pie in squash cups, but that's about it.

Had you scrolled down a post or two you might have found this. :rolleyes:

For a 9 inch pie (measurement adjustments for an 8 inch pie in parenthesis):

1 3/4 cups mashed cooked or canned pumpkin (1 1/4)

1/2 tsp. salt (1/4)

1 3/4 cups milk (1 1/4)

3 eggs (2)

2/3 cup brown sugar (packed) (1/2)

2 Tbsp granulated sugar (1 1/2)

1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (1)

1/2 tsp ground ginger (1/4)

1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (1/4)

1/2 tsp ground cloves (1/4)

Heat oven to 220 C. Beat all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour into pastry-lined pie pan. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted off-center comes out clean. The center may still look soft but will set later.

This is my father's recipe and I've varied it before by whisking in some flour (gives it such a pillowy, silky texture) and using less sugar. But either way is good.

Posted

Rilana, I didn't find any either. Maybe someone will be willing to share their recipe. :)

Pumpkin soup is something I gotta love Knorr Spain for. I never saw it in Germany but here you can buy it in a tetrapak so you just have to heat it up (and I add pepper to it to make it a little hotter).

Posted

I use a similar recipe to the one Keydeck posted - but instead of milk, I use whipping cream. Yum Yum.