Life in the Wedding district of Berlin

87 posts in this topic

Posted

Dear all,

We're looking to spend some time in Berlin as a young british family and have the opportunity to buy a cheap (to us) one bed flat in Wedding - the KonlonieStrasse area. While we know Berlin as visitors, we've never spent time in Wedding nor have we lived in Berlin. We thought that we would stay for 6 months and then re-evaluate, and possibly let the flat out. I thought that this may be an ok place to live as it seems fairly decent. I believe that the area has some artists / galleries which to me are a referece for a reasonable - if maybe not wealthy - area. I'm aware that other areas have the history and edge over Wedding in these terms. I've also read that the area is industrial with high unemployment, and not much of interest! I am trying to figure out Wedding's relationship to Mitte - has it merged? is it considered the same place or separate?

It would be really useful to know of anyone's perspectives on the area as we could really do with some input before we decide to move.

hope you can help!

RKH

Posted

Wedding has no relationship to Mitte, it has not merged, that was Tiergarten (next door to Wedding).

Posted

I have a studio there and am somewhat familiar with Wedding. It's not my favorite neighborhood to hang out in, but it's close enough to my hang-out areas and so I will be moving there soon, mainly to be near my studio. Wedding is a predominantly Turkish neighborhood and is largely underdeveloped (lots of un-renovated buildings, with scaffolding going up all over the place) The people are reasonably cool and it feels safe, despite the unemployment. There are some artists there, but not as many as in Mitte... but Mitte is much more expensive now and Wedding is a relatively cheap place to live in. It is centrally located, plenty of Ubahn infrastructure, and there are some nice parks nearby (Humboldthain). I think that, if your own values are in line with this scenario, you might be happy there for the time being and who knows, it could be a good place to invest in some property. i haven't been in Berlin for so long but I have the impression that Wedding today is probably something like a pre-gentrification Prenzlauer of maybe 5 years ago.

pm me if there's anything else I can help you with...

Posted

Wedding is a district within Mitte and was actually a separate borough until it was fused with Tiergarten and Mitte in 2001.

Posted

Wedding is not going to be the next Prenzlberg. Wedding has its own charm - and that´s good.

Posted

Wedding is not going to be the next Prenzlberg. Wedding has its own charm - and that´s good.

I think you're right, it's not gonna be like prenzlberg. But I'm still trying to put my finger on Wedding to articulate the vibe.. It just seems laid back to me, no glitz or pretense, a lot of young people who help the old. I sometimes observe the old ladies slowly pull up their grocery bags to their third floor window with a rope.

Posted

Thanks for your thoughts so far, it's very useful. Please keep them coming! Ruth

Posted

Hmm, Koloniestrasse... Soldiner Kiez... one of those areas you often hear mentioned in the same sentence as "Problemviertel" and / or "sozialer Brennpunkt". Berlin doesn't have ghettos per se, but I'd certainly describe it as one of the less salubrious districts of the city. Very convenient if you need illicit substances, apparently. I lived in the general area as a student once, but not sure whether I would recommend it to a family for a first experience of Berlin.

As a matter of interest, by "1 bed" do you mean "1 room", and what sort of price would you be paying?

Posted

Well, krostitzer said nearly everything. But it's definitely not like Prenzlauer Berg 5 (or even 10 or 15) years ago, it will always be sort of a poor mens district. more or less and mixed with artists. There are some oases with some nice bars and galleries, but only sporadical and some of the best (Scherer8 for example) have already closed again.

However, some parts of Koloniestraße are not that bad, because it's close to the nice canal "panke" and some green stripes. Have a look, if the app. is close to the U-Bahn oder S-Bahn, because from the middle/north of Koloniestr. it takes some time to get there. Just don't expect trendy bars or in-clubs around. probably the best thing of Koloniestr. is: http://www.koloniewedding.de/ , something like a artist-colony.

And "cheap" is of course relative. i think it shouldn't be much more than 1000 € per m² even if it's in good condition.

Posted

Hi again -

we're ok with the fact it's not so shiny. having lived in several areas of manchester that aren't too salubrious & probably have a bit of a reputation, that's ok. however - in my mind - there's a difference between a place being edgy & liveable (i mean you can get illicit drugs delivered to the door all over mcr, allegedly!) and edgy & frightening! Equally, I'm not intending to move back to those bits of mcr in the near future either, especially not with a new baby. So please keep your opinions, personal experience, & advice coming.

the apt is at the osloer strasse end of kolonie, it's 2 rooms and is far enough under 1000E / m sq to make me wonder if an apartment can be too cheap?!

Thanks for the art link, that looks interesting! In the UK I run a small arts / culture magazine so that kind of thing is very interesting to me.

Ruth

Posted

(Scherer8 for example) have already closed again.

Sch8 is not closed. There was a party there Saturday night.

Posted

Hah, looking at the map in the plain light of day and it seems I had Koloniestr. and Soldiner switched round in my head. It's been over a decade since I lived there (Drontheimerstr. to be precise). There are definitely some nice spots around there, but also some 'orrible ones; it's certainly not Manchester, but the area does have a certain reputation which has deteriorated since I was there.

And "far enough under 1000E / m sq" does sound very cheap - what kind of building is it (Altbau / Neubau), what are the flat details (storey, state of repair etc)? You are planning to come here and take a very careful look at it and the area before you buy, I presume?

If you want you can PM me the / some details and I can wander past and take a look, I live just over the border in Prenzlauer Berg and really should go and have a look at the area again.

Posted

As it's a nice day, I took my mid-morning cycle ride in the other direction than usual to refresh my memory on the area.

The southern section ef the Koloniestraße between Badstraße and Osloer Straße is a busy through-street, with little to recommend it. The section between Osloer Straße and Soldiner Straße on the other hand is verkehrsberuhigt (cobbled surface, lots of sleeping policemen etc.), tree-lined and is actually quite attractive, especially on a sunny autumn morning. A mix of Altbau and Neubau from the (80's by the look of it). The Altbau look in decent shape from the outside, but none look as though they've been done up (saniert) recently, so what they're like inside is going to be a bit of a lucky dip.

On the other hand I saw lots of "for rent" signs without having to look for them, and I also remembered one of the reasons why I didn't want to live there too long is because the area's not-quite-directly under the flightpath of planes landing at Tegel.

Posted

Sch8 is not closed. There was a party there Saturday night.

that's interesting. at least, officially it's closed or the team's changed, according to the statements of the newsletter earlier this year.

Posted

Hi All

thanks for your info. We're coming out this weekend and will be looking at the apartment late sat afternoon. am looking forward to having a wander round the area - there seem to be some interesting bars / art places around there so any more tips would be useful! I've emailed Sch8 to see what's going on with them - they sound like they have put some good nights on there in the past.

re the flat - it's an altbrau with the outside renovated (although not the entrance hall) & the apt is on the 4th (top) floor. seems to be good value from research. need to check out for lift due to pending pram situation. it seems to be in the decent bit you mentioned, koffer - so might well be ok. we will see.

if anyone has any recommends please get in touch either PM or on this thread!

and thanks for all your input, keep it coming

Ruth

Posted

re the flat - it's an altbrau with the outside renovated (although not the entrance hall) & the apt is on the 4th (top) floor. seems to be good value from research. need to check out for lift due to pending pram situation. it seems to be in the decent bit you mentioned, koffer - so might well be ok. we will see.

"Altbrau" sounds like a kind of beer ;). And I'd bet a couple of beers on there being precisely zero lifts in that kind of place. (Some Altbau buildings have been retrofitted with lifts, but that's reflected in the pricing).

The m² price of the place you're looking at doesn't work out to about €460 by any chance?

Posted

Some minutes southwest, near station "Nauener Platz" is something like a quarter with "in"-places (including Scherer8):

Schraders is a nice Restaurant/Bar: http://schraders-berlin.de/pages/english-version.php

Jatz-Bar is a nice lounge/music bar: http://www.jatz-bar.de/data/jatzjazzbar.html

Kaffee Schmidt is something like an original german "kneipe" with young team and crowd: http://www.holzundfarbe.de/ (disturbing website...)

Posted

thanks for the links, T, got any more? I'm moving to Wedding in the next couple of days ... I've been a little, ahem, bored in Pankow for the last 3 months and looking forward to a new scene.

btw I believe Kaffee Schmidt has a bowling alley, too. Just popped in there once for the loo, seems like a cool spot.

Posted

Equally, I'm not intending to move back to those bits of mcr in the near future either, especially not with a new baby.

You wrote about a 1 bed (bedroom) flat...

Unless you are really financially on the ropes I'd be wary about having too little space. My wife & I started off in a 2-room flat (living room, bedroom & kitchen plus small bathroom) which was fine until child nr 1 came along and had to share our bedroom - hed keep peeping over the top of his cot to see us... Thankfully we moved out & into a house when he was 6 months old and he got his own room... Hes now 18 yrs old. Daughter (3yrs later) also got her own room. Made for much more peaceful life...