English-speaking gynecologists in Mitte / P.Berg

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for recommendations for an English speaking Gynecologist in the Mitte/Prenzlauer Berg area, preferably one who is friendly.

Haven't gone here yet but have read that no robes are provided - does one just lay there totally naked or with your top on or how exactly does it work?

Thanks!

Posted

How about recommendations to good gynecologists ANYWHERE in Berlin?

Posted

no robes at mine. I think I messed up though and took everything off last time. he did pap first and then told me 'ok, go put your pants on and we will do the breast exam.' Guess I could have left my shirt on for the top half. I go to the spas naked, though, so I guess my doc seeing me naked is no biggie

Posted

If you fancy taking the S1 down to Rathaus Steglitz, I can recommend: Dr. med. Jessica Meckies at: Gemeinschaftspraxis Meckies, Geuer, Meckies, Schloßstrasse 88, 12163 Berlin. Website: http://www.geburtshilfe-berlin.com/index.p...d=&roomId=1.

She speaks English but is also happy to listen to and respond to not so perfect German if you fancy building up your confidence in that area. You can email the praxis to arrange appointments or ask questions if you are not comfortable about speaking on the phone.

There are no robes at this praxis, but she is able to quickly put you at your ease and provide clear instructions alongside discrete prompts so that you don't end up inadvertently naked. Her assistant is also charming and tactful. She is also prepared to take the time to explain things to provide reassurance at points where German procedures may not be exactly the same as you have experienced before.

I can also highly recommend the ice cream kiosk at the other side of the road. :)

Posted

I'd also recommend Meckies,Geuer,Meckies on Schloßstrasse. Either Jessica or her father. Both speak english really well and are very nice and understanding. Always have time to answer your questions. No robes there but you can leave the top on ( would advice to wear a longer one).

Posted

If you are looking for contact details of Meckies Geuer Meckies + directions, you can find them here: http://www.geburtshilfe-berlin.com/ You'll see the tab for English on the top right.

Any other recommendations of English speaking gynecologists, perhaps closer to P'Berg + Mitte would be welcome. I'm not worried about robes. ;-)

Posted

Thanks everyone! I looked at the website for Dr Meckies, looks comfortable there and am making an appointment. Appreciate the responses!

Posted

There is a great gyno in charlottenburg. (its my boyfriends aunt, actually). She speaks excellent english and also does holistic and homeopathic medicine as well. Extremely nice and knowledgable.

Contact info:

Dr. med Anne-Gabriele Rebholz

Nonendammallee 98, 13629 Berlin

(U-bahn Rohrdamm, bus 110, 123, 127)

phone- 030 382 50 86

Also, there is a good english-speaking psychiatrist \ neurologist on Leipzigerstrasse 56, if anyone ever needs one..Dr. Katherina Bolze, phone 204 10 90

Posted

most of the doctors in the east don't speak english. whether it's a GP, shrink, dentist or whatever. you would have to go to the west. probably around wilmersdorf. but you should really try to learn a bit of germany, because if you live in these areas and end up having a medical emergency, you'll be up s$§t creek at the hospital.

Posted

Untrue. All my doctors speak English and they are all in P-Berg.

I go to Beate Kronfoth on Danziger Strasse 109. She speaks English. Yes it's true that there are no robes. You sit in a chair, but only bottomless. It's not that bad.

Posted

stumbellina, isnt that address in Spandau?

Dr. Eva Dudik in Charlottenburg speaks English.

Kaiserdamm 6

14057 Berlin

030/3215082

She has a pretty low key style but is kind and professional.

Posted

I can also vouch for Dr. Eva Dudik's style, and she also goes very fast on the exam and puts you at your ease.

I do have one complaint to make about her though: I had a first-thing-in-the-morning 8 a.m. appointment and sat in the waiting room for half an hour before getting seen. It seemed as if they were just wandering around the office for the first 20 minutes, not seeing anyone. If you can't see anyone until 8:20, don't tell people to come in at 8am!

Posted

I can recommend Dr. Gabriele Reinke/Dr. Barbara Schulz (they both work at the same place).

Here is the address:

An der Kolonnade 4

10117 Berlin

030 - 2291083

Actually, they told me that they speak english but I never verified it. The lady there was so charmed by my terrible German so that we continued in German.

What I do not like is that they are too serious regarding the proceedures. I come only for pills, and they always want to check me. I hate it! In other countries I always managed to escape those terrible tests, but here they won't give me my pills without the tests! Terrible! But otherwise, they are friendly - relatively to other germans :)

Posted

Honestly, I did non like Dr Dudik, I went for a breast check and she did not feel the cyst I have.

After waiting for more than one hour (I had my "Termin" at 16.00 and she visited me at 17.00), the visit lasted less than five minutes.

Posted

I've been meaning to post here for a few months and kept forgetting. I no longer recommend Dr. Eva Dudik. No hard feelings, I just think one could find a better Gyno in Berlin. Her low key style has now morphed into a very brisk one and she is not a very good listener. I get the impression her best doctor years are behind her and its now just routine, routine, routine. Also - almost always behind schedule. Way behind.

Posted

Dr. med. Hilmar Geisler

Brunnenstraße 26

10119 Berlin-Mitte

Telefon:

030/4490119

Internet:

www.frauenarztterminberlin.de/

This gynaecologists is English speaking. He was highly recommened by others in this forum. I had my first appt with him today and I was very pleased.

Best of luck

Posted

http://www.abhari-beckmann.de/

Hiya! I visited Dr. Beckmann. Her English was ok, but she tried hard to listen and communicate with me. The office was clean and new, and I wasn't kept waiting long for the appointment.

You take off your top for the breast exam, and then put it back on for the pelvic exam. In the states, there is always someone else in the room, but here it's just the doc. She was fast, thorough and gentle. It wasn't cheap though - over 100 euro.

good luck!

Posted

Abhari/Beckmann are the best. I can only speak from my experience but they are fantastic! They are located near Checkpoint Charlie. I got an appointment for the day after I first called, I could keep my shirt and sweater on, the exam was quick and painless and the bedside manner of the gynecologist lady I met with was great! I was very very impressed. Her English was good and she was so nice. Not ridiculously expensive either. Very very helpful.

http://www.abhari-beckmann.de/

Telefon: 030 – 25 93 99 77

Fax: 030 – 25 93 99 78

dr.abhari@abhari-beckmann.de

dr.beckmann@abhari-beckmann.de

Unsere Öffnungszeiten:

Montag bis Freitag: 08.00 - 20.00 Uhrr

Posted

Are gynecologists not covered by the krankenkasse? I didn't realise you had to pay for a checkup

Posted

I also went to Dr. Hilmar Geisler and I would like to say that first off he is a great doctor - really spends his time educating you and explaining things to you. He also has very good English so it won't be a problem. However, maybe it is his committment to every patient that makes each next appointment later and later. I booked at 6:40pm meeting (which is probably the last appointment of the day) and ended up waiting 1 FULL HOUR in the waiting room before I got to see him. I am reasoning this due to it being so late in the day so perhaps if you go earlier in the day it won't be as bad, but really 1 full hour of waiting is a LONG TIME.

As well, referring to the messages above about English speaking receptionists, the one here CAN speak english but doesn't seem like she likes to. When I asked her whether or not she speaks English, she answered me 'yes' with a deep sigh. She was also a lot less friendlier to me compared to all the other German-speaking patients where she was laughing and providing to them brochures etc, whereas to me, it was just the basics. At the end when she gave me my prescriptions, she just placed them on the counter, no word, no eye contact, nothing which I found strange.

I guess at the end, as long as you can get your point across to the receptionist and surpass her, it is the doctor that really matters, and Dr Geisler is great. I was worried about a male gyno but he makes you feel comfortable at all times.

Posted

I've been to Dr. Jessica Meckies and to Dr. Geisler. Dr. Meckies speaks excellent English and there is at least one woman at reception who speaks pretty good English as well. However, I found it difficult to get in touch with their office. Sometimes they answer the phone, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they answer emails, sometimes they don't. And although I got the impression that Dr. Meckies is a good doctor, I didn't feel that she provided me with enough detailed information when I asked questions. I switched to Dr. Geisler and could not be happier. He is extremely patient and spent a lot of time answering all my questions in detail. I thought I would be uncomfortable with a male doctor but he really put me at ease. It's true that you might wait a long time to be seen, but I found that in Dr. Meckies' office as well. Also, I did not have a problem with the receptionist. She was quite pleasant to me despite my limited (pretty much non-existent) German. To the poster above, maybe she was having a bad day or was just tired because it was late? In any event, you can make appointments easily on-line so at least you don't have to worry about communicating over the phone!!

Posted

I'm thinking of calling up Meckies' office for an appointment... does anyone have any recent feedback? I went to Geisler last time, but it's kind of far from where I live, plus I wasn't that impressed (maybe it was also the long wait) and I was a little uncomfortable dealing with a male. I'd rather have a female doctor. Also, how exactly does this consultation hours thing work? Is it like the GP, where I can just walk in or do I need an appointment to go to those hours?

Posted

I was wondering, how much do they usually charge? Do you just pay for the prescription or do you have to pay for the examination as well?

Posted

Your health insurance should pay for the basics - breast and pelvic exam (not ultrasound) and a pap smear. The doctor will have a price list for any extra testing or exams you want to have done.

Posted

Thanks for the quick reply. Insurance as in private insurance or the EU one? Am an EU citizen so then it should be covered, right? Am kind of confused about the system here, am Swedish and back home it's all free..