German language integration courses in Hamburg

66 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I am now located in Hamburg! Trying to find work is proving as difficult as I imagined but enjoying life here.

I have been informed that I am eligible for an Integration Langauge Course, provided by the government at a reduced fee of €1 per hour (upto 600 hours).

Just wondered if anyone had been to any of these courses? They have provided a list of loads of different schools I can go to so I am looking into them at the moment.

Does anyone have any recomendations on any of the following: Rackow Schule, Inlingua, WBS Training, Sprachfix or Why Not?

As usual, any help would be much appreciated!

Posted

Hi there

I too am about to become eligible for the same classes and I for one can't wait to be able to begin an understanding of where I live! We get married on August 10th and the day after I can apply! I have rung quite a few schools and you might think my basis is dumb but I decided to go with the friendliest and most welcoming school - I am kinda sick of always being treated with distain as I attempt what little German I have - so friendliness was the most important thing to me if I was to spend 6 months in this place... I have decided on Steinweg Schule - www.steinwegschule.de They were really nice on the phone and seemed genuinely interested in making my transition into German life easier...

Good luck with your choice. I would love to hear how you get on!

Posted

Just had a look at their site Brenda, looks good, I will get in touch with them too before I decide.

Really need some help with my German to give me more confidence here!! Relying on my girlfriend for everything at the moment!

Posted

Ohhhh yes... I know how that feels! I've been here since April and have had to wait until we are married (Non EU, KIWI) for the integration classes so I too am totally dependant and it's bloody hard! Roll on August. I have picked up bits and pieces though thru watching copious amounts of German TV and now, strange but true, I even have my favourite shows. Haha! Have you found work yet? Anyway, good luck and let me know how you get on or if you find a real pearler of a school...

Posted

I looked around at language schools and I decided on Colon Language School. It has a great reputation (my friend went there for English and said it was good) and if you aren't using their accomodations (i'm not), then it isn't expensive so that is what i opted for. It is also location you should consider - this school is right downtown and it is a beautiful area. I am staying in Altona so the commute isn't too far. My courses start the first week of September for 3 months.

Posted

Just to update, I went to the Steinweg Schule today and enrolled, I start on 6th August. The teacher there is a really friendly guy and the classes are small, with a maixum of 10 people and a minimum of 5.

Really looking forward to getting started!

I haven't found work yet but to be honest I wasn't expecting to until I had a grasp of the language. I've only been here since the 1st of July. When I can speak a little more German, I would hope that I could find something. I'm happy just being here and being a 'mature' (i'm 30) student for a while!

I know what you mean about the TV, some of the shows are watchable even if you don't understand 100% of what is happening!

I will let everyone know about the school after I have started.

Posted

Hey all!

I will be moving to Hamburg at the end of september and am also looking for a good and affordable language school! What does 'eligible for german integration course' imply? What do you need to have such a status? (I am a EU citizen). I have heard about Steinweg schule as well as Colon. What are the prices like in these schools? Also does anyone know about german courses at the university of Hamburg? Any help would be very appreciated!

Cheers,

Ammoul

Posted

I am also interested in what qualifies you to be eligible for the integration classes. I live in Hamburg and have a residence permit and am working on getting a work visa. I am not married to a German, but an American who will be working in Hamburg for two years. Do you think I am eligible?

Posted

Thanks a lot!

Posted

The Volkshochschule catalogue is also now available (or see the website http://www.vhs-hamburg.de/) and covers the integration courses plus many others.

Posted

I wanted to let those of you who are considering a course know that Steinweg Schule is fantastic. Hamburg Bound and I are both there at the moment and I think he will back me up in saying it is a really good course. Small classes, great teacher and a relaxed atmosphere. I joined a week after the classes began and was given a very warm welcome. I highly recommend it!

Posted

Just to say that I second what Brenda has written! We are both having a great time at the Steinweg School, the teacher Horst is excellent and the class sizes are pretty small (around 10 people). It's very laid back and informal but we all seem to be learning pretty well. Would recommend it to anyone considering schools.

Posted

Hi All,

if anyone is interested in some fantastic intergration classes in the city with an easy going teacher and small class sizes then please contact Horst below at...

Steinweg Schule

Intensivkurs Deutsch

Großneumarkt 24

20459 Hamburg

Tel.: 040-35715071

I am currently attending this school and am really impressed with the classes so far.

Posted

If only I saw this thread earlier. I just registered with VHS and will start this afternoon. But I'm looking for a session between 18 Dec-21 Jan. Because most schools will have X'mas vacation by that time but I want to keep learning!

Posted

Hello All,

I am having a very hard time finding an evening German Integration course. Does anyone know of one?

And has anyone here actually taken an integration course? What can I expect?

All the teachers seem to be non-native speakers, does this make any sense?

I spoke to a man at the Bundesamt fur Migration and Fluchtlinge and he was quite defensive about it!

C

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Hello there

What exactly is an integration course? Where were you recommended to take one?

Cheers

Posted

Hi there,

I am new to Hamburg and want to attend integration school so I can learn German.

Every school I contact seems to have full classes, no teachers or the next available class is in 18 months?!?!

Does anyone know or has anyone been to one of these Government run courses? I would appreciate any insights, hints or recommendations anyone may have.

Thanks for any help!

Gnutzi

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Hi Gnutzi! I live in Lubmin which is in MVP now, but we are moving to Hamburg on Thursday. We just picked up the keys to our new apartment in Hamburg, Eidelstedt area. I too need to get moving on taking my german classes. I will take the class through the VHS. Here is the link for their website. http://www.vhs-hamburg.de/vhsspezial/deuts...remdsprache.cfm Good luck!

Posted

Hi gnutzi000,

As u might have noticed, there are too many language schools in Hamburg, U don't even know which one to choose! But the most important thing is Quality, make sure the money you gonna spend is a good Investment!

Think U should check http://www.tandem-hamburg.de/ It is a very good school, in Altona. Good atmosphere, U feel at home!! and teachers are simply Great!! , Studying there is worthwile! :P , and You can have a trial lesson!! Why not??

If u have any questions don't hesitate to send me a msg!!

Good Luck :D

Chouss!!

Posted

Hi guys, I have registered with Tandem.

Starting class for beginners 20th April. I will do Mondays and Wednesdays from 6.00 - 7.30 p.m.

Any tips? Anyone wanna come?

Posted

Hi All! I am taking my course at KOM. My classes are Monday thru Friday, 6 hours per day. Talk about fast track! Whew... I should start in May, just waiting to recieve my paperwork for the next class starting.

Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am still looking for a school, I have been rather distracted but now I need to focus.

I try to get onto the Tandom website and it freezes my computer every time so will keep trying.

Backagain, can you tell me more about KOM? The full name of the school and perhaps where it is. I know I have to do the full time course too, otherwise it takes forever! I was enrolled in a school locally to me who said their classes take over 2 years because they are so slow, and that was full time!!

Thanks for your help, it makes it a lot easier!!!

Gnutzi

Posted

Hello...I am going to be very poor when I arrive...Are there any free courses to EU citizens?? Or what are the cheapest ones? VHS?