Where to get good Mexican food

135 posts in this topic

Posted

Mostly the Mexican food I've eaten here has been okay, but I'm looking for something awesome. I heard there was some kind of market that was run by a guy from Mexico who imports all the stuff that Californians like me are looking for. Any ideas on that place or any others? Thanks!

Posted

I'm Mexican and I used to live in Berlin and the only shops I know in Berlin, where they sell Mexican groceries are these ones:

'Latinoamerika'

Apart from that one there's a small shop called 'Aqui Espana' in Charlottenburg, on the Kantstrasse near the S-Bahn Savigny Platz where they have a small selection of Mexican stuff amongst mainly Spanish/Portuguese food.

There's also a guy that sells mainly freshly made tortillas and sauces but he has no shop, you just call/email him and he brings the stuff to your house, I don't think he speaks German or English though, he mainly serves all the Mexicans in Berlin.

Here's his page:

Tortilla Atomica

Posted

when i was in berlin this summer, i stopped in at a really good mexican restaurant called Doloros, recommended to me by the lonely planet travel guide.

this is from their website:

Dolores

Tasty Tortillas

Rosa-Luxemburg-Str 7 10178

Tel: 030 2809 9597 (info)

This hole-in-the-wall proves that healthy fast food does not have to be an oxymoron. The specialty here is the burrito, a plate-sized flour tortilla (soft, thin bread) freshly stuffed with meat (the lime cilantro chicken is yummy), rice, beans, veggies, sour cream, cheese, salsa or any combination thereof. Eat in or take away.

Hours: Mon-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm

Web: http://www.dolores-berlin.de

Posted

I've heard that place is ok although they don't really serve Mexican food but Tex-Mex

Posted

Deloris is fantastic. Huge portions, good selection, decent fillings.

Posted

Ok, a question a bit more specific:

I'm an American who is going through MexicanFood withdrawl...

Where can I find some kickass chips and salsa in this city?

(and i prefer the milder fresh-tomato-withloadsofcilantro kind, not the super-spicy kind...most mexican resturants in the states give you both)

Also, my biggest craving is for that white cheese dip that usually is called 'queso dip' or something along those lines... PLEASE! where can i find this???

Posted

Delores is yummie. But let's be clear: it's a mission style burrito place, not a Mexican restaurant. I'd say the burritos are average by US standards, but about the best I've had in Germany. They make pretty much the only fresh salsa outside of my kitchen that I've encountered in this country too, so that should fix that urge. Or better yet, learn to make it yourself, it's easy. Delores gets a lot of points for having salsa verde, though.

Check out Room 77 for nachos and more substantial burritos. Good, but still not quite Mexican.

Queso dip? Sure, good luck with that.

Posted

FYI - it is Dolores, not Doloros, Deloris or Delores. <_< The burritos are California-style and IMO not really all that if you are comparing it to anything available in the US (which is probably a mistake as you're bound to be disappointed), but I will concede that the salsa is tasty, and it's certainly a nice alternative to the endless crappy imbiss food out there.

Posted

I'm addicted to the huevos rancheros at Frida Kahlo. Can't vouch for much else as that's all I ever have there.

I also recommend the tofu cilantro burrito at Dolores. I'm veggie so haven't tried the meat, but the tofu is pretty tasty and they let you choose your salsa, beans, and rice as well.

Posted

Back home one of the staples of my diet is mexican food. I come from Washington State where there is a significant hispanic population and hence, no lack of mexican culinary treats. Upon my arrival in Berlin however, I've noticed a comlete lack in anything Mexican. One of the few places I found refried beans, they cost about 3 Euros, salsa runs around 3 Euros for a tiny container, and there seems to be no tortillas or even tortilla chips! Does anyone know of any good places to find above mentioned goodies?

Topics merged by admin

Posted

You know, I went to that place Dolores and it wasn't really "mission style". They name themselves after Mission Dolores in San Francisco (which is about where I'm from) and it's kind of a misnomer. I was hoping for more. It was sort of wrapped like a mission burrito, but wasn't as grubbin as I'd hoped. Also I told the girl that I'm allergic to cilantro (which is weird and unfortunate) and she looked at me like I was crazy, like "why would the salsa have cilantro in it?" Any other ideas? I want a tin-foil wrapped messy carnitas burrito.

Posted

I grew up 45 minutes from the nogales border so I hear all of you on the need for good mexican food! Machaca me!

Best solution - call tortilla atomica

http://mexikatessen.spaces.live.com/

better quality and prices then the del fuego crap in the supermarkets. I gave up on the mexican restaurants in Berlin a long time ago unfortch.

Posted

At some point, sorry, but we're in Berlin and we have to accept that we are not going to get Mexican food as we would back home.´

You can buy the Del Fuego brand stuff in many supermarkets. No, it isn't that good and it's way overpriced. But here's the thing: don't buy the salsa, guacamole or refried beans. One, it's crap, and two, it's easy to make yourself. Then you season your meat yourself and just have to rely on their tortillas (pity they are only flour and not corn) and chips. Easy. The only thing I really miss is enchilada sauce, of which I bring several containers with me whenever I return from a visit to the US. That and Cholula.

As for Dolores. It's a very average mission style burrito place. If we were in the US, I'd go somewhere else. But we're not. No, they don't use cilantro. Welcome to Germany. Germans by and large hate cilantro (or at least this is what countless waiters and Indian restaurants have told me). So they make their salsa without cilantro. Too bad? Yes. But it's still the best salsa in town outside of my kitchen. But we're in Berlin, so suck it up. It'd also be nice if they'd shred their meat, as what they serve now doesn't hold sauce well and you end up with a pretty dry burrito. But you know what, you're not going to get a tin-foil wrapped messy carnitas burrito in Berlin.

Posted

I eat at Dolores quite often.

Im from the UK and thus havent really had much experience with Mexican food, but i find them execellent for the price.

Posted

I grew up 45 minutes from the nogales border so I hear all of you on the need for good mexican food! Machaca me!

Best solution - call tortilla atomica

http://mexikatessen.spaces.live.com/

better quality and prices then the del fuego crap in the supermarkets. I gave up on the mexican restaurants in Berlin a long time ago unfortch.

can anyone confirm whether or not they respond to english at all?

Posted

can anyone confirm whether or not they respond to english at all?

I replied to this thread before there are places that sell authentic corn tortillas, not flour ones...

I'm Mexican so I guess I can tell whether certain brands are crap or not and Fuego is the worse I've tasted yet, Old Del Paso is a bit better...

By the way the 'Tortilla Atomica' is literally one Mexican guy recently arrived to Germany and his tiny kitchen in East Berlin, he serves mainly to the Mexicans in Berlin, he speaks Spanish and by now I guess some German, I don't think he speaks any English...

I'm Mexican and I used to live in Berlin and the only shops I know in Berlin, where they sell Mexican groceries + corn flour tortillas are these ones:

'Latinoamerika'

Apart from that one there's a small shop called 'Aqui Espana' in Charlottenburg, on the Kantstrasse near the S-Bahn Savigny Platz where they have a small selection of Mexican stuff amongst mainly Spanish/Portuguese food.

There's also a guy that sells mainly freshly made tortillas and sauces but he has no shop, you just call/email him and he brings the stuff to your house, I don't think he speaks German or English though, he mainly serves all the Mexicans in Berlin.

Here's his page:

Tortilla Atomica

Posted

Well it seems la Tortilla Atomica is the best bet in Berlin for real mexican food. I called the guy Adam ( who speaks perfect english ) and had his de-li-ciousss hand made maiz tortillas delivered to my door. The tortillas are absolutely fantastic and made just hours before delivery so they were still warm when delivered.Theres an interesting selection of special flavored tortillas like ceboin ( chives or ciboulette) ,chili and some more, i tried the onion and chili and were wonderful and aromatic. Tried also two of his several mexican sauces ( recommend the Salsa Macha that is made from a mix of chilies toasted and smoked) great for my huevos rancheros and meats ,and the salsa verde . The guy also cooks some traditional mexican dishes by request, when i asked him what would recommend he suggested Tostadas de Tinga or Cochinita and well i tried both and loved it . Thats real mexican not tex mex

Thanks for the tip excellent service.

Posted

I have no idea if it's authentic Mexican cooking, but I love the beans, tortillas and salsa at Viva Mexico on Chaussestr. (opposite the gas station). It's definitely not the usual Tex-Mex rubbish that you find in Berlin. It has an open kitchen, and the lovely lovely lady who does all the cooking is Mexican. She's a vegetarian and once told me that when she cooks meat dishes she makes the sign of the cross when putting in the salt and has never had a complaint.