Internet service providers in Berlin

118 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi.

I am looking to subscribe to an Internet service.

I am having trouble in comparing suppliers.

Apart from Freenet, D-Telecom, O2, are there any others?

Also: What is the highest speed available in Berlin? 16mb/s?

Please advice

Posted

"Cheap" and "Best" are not the same. There are many others, including 1&1, Lidl, Congstar, Strato, GMX, Versatel, Kamp, NGI, Faventia, T-Online, Callisa, Callero, Express-Net, Googolgate, Arcor, Talkline, Global Planets, Debitel, Hansanet (Alice), to name but a few. Maximum speed in Berlin is 50Mbit, but it depends on your actual location as to what is available. You also need to distinguish between full-service providers (phone, DSL and internet), who are often cheaper, but may not be the best approach, and will commit you to 2 years´, and individual service offerings which provide more flexibility

Posted

Don't get Alice if you live in Kreuzberg 61...my friend had major problems with them forever and eventually they admitted it was the area and it's always slow there.

Posted

When the Deutsche Telekom man came round to install ours, he set it all up and on leaving, told us we should have got Hansenet as it's much better value!

Posted

Thanx guys.

I have now decide for freenet.

telephoe + internet 16mbit/s flatrate for €39/month. I also get to buy a modem with wireless Wlan routing for €19,90. I also get €50 euros for buying their service online.

Posted

and a bloody expensive support line with long waiting times when things go wrong as they mightdo

Posted

Don't get Alice wherever you live, you cant send outlook email using it.

Posted

well, I hardly can say... many times it is depending on persons... for example, my partner and I having some hardtime with freenet... where it took 2 months before we first get the letter and 2 weeks again for our modem which is spoiled... and have to wait for another week for the new one to come... then they ask us to pay from the date we received our first modem eventhough their service center said from the first day we access to internet... anyway, we sent back the spoilt modem and they claim that they didn´t receive that... asking us to pay. so we have to write another letter with the retour number and copy of the receipt from post. sigh...

Posted

I'm going to be staying in Berlin for only 1 month. Got a nice apartment but has no phone and no internet. It's going to be in winter so not so hot on the idea of having to go out to hunt down WIFI Hotspot. RE: Phone - it's simple solution - got a prepaid SIM. I checked out all the discussion on Internet/DSL -- definitely not my solution (require phone line, 3 weeks installation, blah ...)

Anyone knows any type of wireless service that can allow me connect to internet from the apartment? Thank you.

Posted

Form my experience, getting an internet connection in Berlin is a ridiculously slow process – no matter if you go with the cheap options such as Alice or the expensive such as DT. So, a recommendation for anybody wanting some connectivity is to to first order it as soon as possible since it'll probably take at least two months of hassle before its active. Secondly, check what WiFi nets are available in your apartment and make a list of the ones with the best signal. Then just put up a friendly note i the staircase of your apartment building asking the owners of either one of these nets if you can "rent" som internet from them for a few months. Its pretty common practice in berlin and almost always works out fine.

Anybody know an ISP that provides good upstream speed? From what i've seen almost all of them have terrible (in comparison to Sweden at least) uplinks.

Posted

I have freenet... and I hate it... the Kundenservice is terrible

Posted

After I posted, I went looking around and found someone mentioned Fon.com for WIFI access worldwide. I checked it out and looks like there are a lot of connections around the apartment we're staying. It's a social community trading free WIFI access. Seems like a noble and great way to get internet access when we travel. So we'll see how that work out. I'll keep you posted.

Posted

I got Freenet and it's terrible. It was, at the time, supposedly the fastest package available. I've used internet that was advertised as being much slower in Canada that performed much better.

Posted

I signed up for Freenet in November...it is now Dec 25th...still no sign of life from them...just a couple of letters saying it is in the que. I hope they don't charge me from the day I signed up. There's gonna be a not so pretty lawsuit if that happens. You figure Germany would be super fast and efficient in all aspects of life...who'd thought that their addiction to paperwork leads to the opposite case in reality! Good luck to everyone.

Vt

Posted

Hi everyone,

I want to avoid Deutsche Telekom and any contract that runs more than 12 months but need a reliable highspeed web connection in my house that allows for skype as well as for streaming and downloading audio and video files.

Has anyone signed up with Kabel Deutschland for web access and phone? Their "Paket Comfort" Highspeed Internet & Phone" seems to be decent -I'd be grateful if anyone could offer an opinion about their customer service and the quality/speed of their connections.

@lawater - I'd be curious to know how it worked for you with Fon.com.

Thanks!

Posted

@lawater - I'd be curious to know how it worked for you with Fon.com.

Despite his promises to keep us up to date, lawlater hasn't been back here since 3 minutes after he actually wrote that post a month ago.

Posted

I'm well impressed with T-com, took me from a dead line to working phone & DSL in 4 working days just before xmas! i went for the package with phone, 16mb DSL & cable TV for 50 a month with the first month free..

That included all the gadgets i need for wireless/tv etc too for free by the way.

I believe it also includes some kind of hardware voip stuff too, but i ignored that as i use Skype. also i can apparently log into T-com hotspots with my account for free, which means loads of hotels, coffee shops etc around europe.. very handy for travellers!

Posted

I have terrible experiences with Alice; Nobody speaks english... If you make an appointment at 17.00, they will come at 11.00 when you're not at home. When you make an appointment for a Telekom technician, he just doesnt show up. An Alice employee told me that "technicians are lazy sometimes". I made seven (!!!) appointments with technicians who didnt show up.

The guy DID show up at a time when I did NOT have an appointment... Lucky I was at home!

Alice is cheap. But I understand why. To cut a very long story short, this whole experience with Alice is without any doubt the worst service I ever had in my whole life. It remembered me of Fawlty Towers, the "Waldorf salad"-scene with that American shouting at Basil Fawlty: "Can't you see what a bloody dump this is? This must be the worst hotel in europe!"... And Alice really is the worst internet service provider in europe! :blink:

Posted

shit. I've got alice coming on thursday. ...in theory anyway.

its hard to get a good idea on the good and bad in internet stuff, everybody has their own story. and every carrier seems to have someone with a horror story.

wish me luck with alice.

Posted

i had no problems with Alice. Delivered and working 2 weeks after i placed the order... in hamburg though...

Posted

Signed up with 1 & 1. Reason (at the time) - price and connection speed (16 Thingummies) and the fact that IT friends reckoned that the "Fritz-Box" that came with it was the Dog's Bollocks. First technician called - he couldn't find phone-line within the apartment block. Friends sorted that - we drilled a bloody great hole in the floor of my "office", put a new cable in and dangled it in front of the connection-box in the cellar.

Second technician appointment - no bastard turned up. Trying to get in touch with 1 & 1 proved an absolute nightmare - 28 minutes wait on a premium-rate number and then some idiot of a Jobsworth who was unable to make any decisions or give any information. Finally after yet more expensive premium rate calls plus emails a third appointment was made.

This time the technicians turned up - sorted! Since then (nearly a year ago) absolutely problem-free.

Verdict - an extremely reliable, high-speed connection with flat-rate landline, internet fax and a mobile on which calls to the "Festnetz" are free.

Customer Service - completely and totally crap.

Posted

We've had no problem with Alice in Kreuzberg SO36. We initially chose them beacus they were the only company that didn't ask for a 12 month contract. We also use a FON wireless router with a proportion of our connection assigned to other FON users.

Posted

If you can go for 12 months, take t-com. I've had it for 2 years and never a problem.

I've heard only bad things about Alice.