Fabric stores, cloth shops in Berlin

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All,

Does anyone know where I could find a good selection of jersey fabrics that don't cost more than 15 euros a meter, I have been to a couple of Karstadts, Werteim and KaDeWe. I am looking for a heavyish fabric to make wrap dresses for winter if that helps.

Many Thanks,

CM

Posted

Good luck. I've been here 2 years and I still can't figure it out. There is a fabric store in that small mall by the world clock in Alexanderplatz, and one on Vetranenstr. that have sort of different fabrics there.

Posted

I don't really know much about what kind of stock they have but there is a fabric shop at Grimmstraße 20 in Kreuzberg. It's about a 3 minute walk from the bus stop Körtestraße on the M41 line. Here's the website Offstoff

Posted

There's huge (well for berlin standards) fabric store at Greifswalder Str S-Bahnhof. Can't remember the name, but will try and find the business card tomorrow.

It's in one of the actual old station houses (you can see the back of it when you're on the train platform. You have to take the road leading into the Plus parking lot, and then double back up over the railway bridge.

Posted

There's also a small fabric store near the S/U bahn - Pankow. not a huge selection, but decent enough, and by far the cheapest fabric store I've found. They're also having a sale right now.

Posted

Thanks heaps everyone. Going shopping now so will let you know what I find and will post additional shops if any. I take it Berlin isn't well known for it's home sewing supplies :)

Posted

Anyone know where to by Silk in Berlin?

By the way the Turkish market in Kreuzberg is a great source for fabric, you'll find it on Maybach Ufer and I think it is on every Tuesday and Friday (or is it Thursday).

Posted

Yeah, its strangely difficult to get materials in Berlin. I can also add the Idee shop on Passauer Strasse, and Stoffhaus on Frankfurter Allee

http://www.stoffland.de/berlin.htm

I suppose if desperate there's also Ikea.

You could always mail order silk, this is a reputable supplier: www.fabindia.com

Posted

any one know of a good fabric shop in berlin? wholesale or retail.

i only know of the turkish market and it is just cutting it for what i need.

please let me know asap

Topics merged by admin

Posted

To add to the places already mentioned, there's a little shop called Tessuti, on Grolmannstrasse off Uhlandstrasse at Ulandstrasse Ubahn, on the right and easy to miss. They had lovely cashmere jersey, all imported from Italy and expensive. Also Frau Tulpe http://www.frautulpe.de/ and Hueco http://www.hueco-stoffe.de/index2.html Karstadt on Hermannplatz has a decent selection of silks.

Posted

Does anyone know where to find craft accessories? Specifically for making hand bags (straps, handles etc). Where are all the good fabric stores?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Yuo will not get any better than Iris Seegert

Fuggerstraße 22 • 10777 Berlin (Schöneberg)

(5 Minuten vom U-Bahnhof Wittenbergplatz)

Telefon (030) 2147 4646 oder (030) 2147 4666

Posted

i haven't been to Iris Seegert, but i will have to check it out now.

as a dedicated sewer & crafter this is what i have found in Berlin:

Frau Tulpe

a small and cute (and girly) "boutique" fabric store in Mitte.

a bit expensive, but good quality stuff (mostly cottons).

they have a lot of nice trims and ribbons too.

i think they have bag handles here.

Kumasch exclusive stoffe

a huge selection of all kinds of fabrics, at the lowest prices i have found in Berlin.

a no-frills store, they pretty much have fabric only; not many sewing accessories.

the guys who work here actually know how to sew. i would recommend looking for fabric here first.

Idee creativmarkt

next to KaDeWe.

they have a lot of fabrics and all kinds of crafting supplies. they have a lot of luxury fabrics (silks, sequins, woolens, designer fabrics).

they are quite expensive, but you can probably find what you need.

their other location in charlottenburg (near kantstr.) does not carry fabrics, only craft stuff.

Karstadt

The two Karstadts I have been in (Hermannplatz and Kufurstendamm) have a big sewing section.

Big selection of fabrics, prices are okay (not as expensive as idee).

Flea Markets!

At the Mauerpark flohmarkt there is a large booth with cheap sewing accessories, trims, beads, etc.

I definitely saw bag handles here.

There is also a nice sewing booth at the Tiergarten flohmarkt.

I assume there are similar things in the other flohmarkts, but I haven't been.

Knopfloch

small sewing & fabric store near alexanderplatz.

the only place i could find a lightbulb for my sewing machine.

Knopf Paul

kreuzberg. this is a famous Berlin store for any and all kinds of buttons.

and dont forget the thrift stores!

hope that helps... good luck... :)

Posted

IKEA sell fabric off the roll too. I have no idea about the quality or price of such things but I saw it there last time.

Posted

This is such a great post! I just got a new sewing machine and I have been storing up fabric from the Turkish market. Now I am wondering if anyone know where to find sewing patterns? I am definitely looking for fashionable, youngish patterns. It's easy to order online but I would really like to find some here in Berlin. Thanks!

Posted

maybe have a look at the mentioned knopfloch and idee.

Posted

I found an awesome fabric outlet just recently. Lots of variety at reasonable prices.

Berger Berlin

Potsdamer Str 68

10785 Berlin

Hours: Mon-Fri 7.30-19.00hr & Sat 7.30-16.30hr

www.gebrueder-berger.de

Posted

On 4th September there is a Dutch fabric market in Potsdam. They have a huge selection of cheap fabrics. Go early to avoid the crowds!

www.stoffmarktholland.de

Posted

Thanks for the tip, dillydally. I must go and visit :)