Microsoft Office for Apple Mac vs. for Windows

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I'm looking into buying my first Apple Mac Pro. I've used Dell and Windows up to now. I'm just wondering, which system is used predominantly in Germany? Is it Windows or iOffice?

cheers!

turasteanga

Posted

iOffice? Do you mean Microsoft Office for Mac? This is compatible with the Microsoft Office for Windows at any rate. You'll also have no problem setting up a Mac on a Windows network.

Posted

Networks, and Documents formats are 2 different things...

Posted

Clearly, but network compatibility is important in a work environment none-the-less

Posted

Hi there,

I meant the Office for Mac, I think it's called iOffice. I'm only new to Mac so I could be confusing something! I'm not sure if it's so compatible with Windows after reading a couple of reviews but I'm ready for a change. I think Windows Office 08 is bringing out something for Mac soon.

So Windows is used more commonly then. Think I'll still go for the Mac though :)

cheers turasteanga

Posted

I've never had compatibility issues between office for Mac and office for windows.

Smart move to go Mac.

Posted

That's good to hear then! It's a lot more money but I think the quality should be much higher and the design sleeker. That's what I'm after, as well as all the technical genius! :)

Posted

The cases of the MAC's are higher quality, but the internal hardware is the same... In the end your paying for the apple name and OSX..

Posted

In the end your paying for the apple name and OSX..

Not a bad thing to pay for an OS which makes working with a computer as easy as it should without bugging you with security holes, tons of stupid installation and maintenance work, and occasional system crashes, is it?

Posted

As a former PC user I was a little concerned about the switch to Mac, but overall I am very happy with the stability of OS X,

I have used office for Mac and also Apples new iWork 08. It really depends on your needs and budget. Although Apple Keynote (with iWork 08) blows away MS Powerpoint

Some Application alternatives I am using

Project App: Merlin from www.projectwizards.net

Visio : OmniGraffle from www.Omnigroup.com

If you need real Windows compatibility you can also use Parallels or VMWare Fusion to create a virtual Machine (or BootCamp) you will need a MS licence :)

Hope this helps

Kb

Posted

Thanks guys,

I'm not too worried about the switchover to Mac anymore as most people think it's a good idea :) It's very helpful to get feedback from users, so cheers for that. Thanks for the website tips, I'll have a good look at those. I was able to go into a shop and try out a Mac for a few minutes which was good. The main difference that felt weird was the mouse with one button and the X (close) sign etc on the left side of screen instead of the right. But I think I can manage that . I've heard other people say iWork is pretty good but will probably get Office for Mac later when the new version comes out. I don't intend to buy another laptop for a few years so this will be an investment. I think most people are still on Windows so was worried about compatability. Mixed reports there, some people saying it's bad, others saying it's grand. Guess I'll just have to find out for myself! :)

Posted

Not a bad thing to pay for an OS which makes working with a computer as easy as it should without bugging you with security holes, tons of stupid installation and maintenance work, and occasional system crashes, is it?

Is this the same OSX that I use on my mac that occasionally crashes, needs maintainance work and has software patches? Yes, they are less frequent than my PC (although my current PC has never crashed) but to make out that OSX is like a PC but with no weaknesses in the OS at all is bollocks. I like both of mine equally. Both have great features, both have no so great features.

The Mac is cooler though! ;)

Posted

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this was the most relevant one I found in a search and didn't want to start a totally new one, although I suspect I'm at risk of starting more Mac v Windows discussions.

Up until now I've always been a 'Windows person', my existing system is a Dell but as it's getting on in age now I feel it's time to begin looking at my options.

From what I've seen of Windows 8 I just don't like this direction so I'm beginning to look at the possibility of switching to a Mac of some sort.

My main worries are in the areas of software that I use:

Obviously I use MS Office quite extemsively, mostly Excel, but also Word and Powerpoint.

I believe there is an MS Office version for Mac which would solve one problem?

My biggest problem here is with my website, designed in FrontPage.

Yes, I know FrontPage was never the ideal tool for many, but it's simple and I chose to use it. My website now has something like 200 individual pages and a full redesign is out of the question.

I have read that Mac's iWeb doesn't allow importing of html, so to quickly switch FP into html and then import it to iWeb also appears to be a no-goer.

I also read that I could possibly partition the drive on a Mac and run WIndows in a second partition?

How easy / usable is this?

One other option could be to get hold of Dreamweaver for Mac then import html to this, maybe?

But then how easy is Dreamweaver to learn? I've heard it's pretty difficult in comparison to FP?

Otherwise I use my PC for storing photos and although I don't use anything like photoshop, I do resize and crop pictures for my website with Irfanview. So I need only basic tools here.

Finally, I have two external USB drives for data storage and backup, can these be plugged into a Mac or do I need Mac versions?

If so, how do I easily move my data from these to new ones?

I'm talking about 50-100gb?

Sorry for being truly Mac-ignorant here and possibly asking stupid questions, but hopefully the good folk of TT may be able to give me some pointers.

Finally, I would expect to listen to occasional CDs and watch some DVDs but am happy to remain 100% non-gaming.

Malty.

Posted

...From what I've seen of Windows 8 I just don't like this direction...

You aren't the only person thinking that. As a result there are options that allow you to modify Windows 8 a little and use it more like Windows 7. It is possible you'll be able to stick with what you know while using Windows 8.

Posted

Malt-Teaser- I made the switch to a Macbook Pro about a year ago and I love it. I do run Parallels with Windows 7 on the machine as well. Specifically, there are some applications for work that only run on Windows. Additionally, I find Office for Windows more stable than Office for Mac. I have both versions and usually work on the mac OS but if I am doing something in excel which requires linking between several files, I work in Windows.

You could use this option to run FrontPage in Windows via parallels or similar program

Posted

Finally, I would expect to listen to occasional CDs and watch some DVDs but am happy to remain 100% non-gaming.

Apple has ditched optical drives for the current iMacs and Mac minis. Apparently you are supposed to buy all media from iTunes. I don't see the overriding objective for thinness in a desktop device. There is no point in having a desktop computer with a "clean" design when you have to clutter your desk with all sort of additional devices at extra cost.

Posted

Apple has ditched optical drives for the current iMacs and Mac minis. Apparently you are supposed to buy all media from iTunes. I don't see the overriding objective for thinness in a desktop device. There is no point in having a desktop computer with a "clean" design when you have to clutter your desk with all sort of additional devices at extra cost.

I agree. I was going to buy one of the new iMacs to replace my old Mac Mini, but when I discovered it didn't come with an optical drive I bought a new Mac Mini and a separate drive for half the cost. The point of the iMac was that everything was integrated in one tidy machine. It doesn't matter if its 5mm thick at the edges or 30mm. You're not going to be carrying it around! I like Macs but the new iMac is form over function.

With regard to Office for Mac, I have that as it saves a lot of compatability problems when sending to or receiving stuff from Windows machines. I've never had any stability problems, in fact I think excel and word work better than on a pc.

Posted

Thanks for the advice and tips, it may not all be what I wanted to hear, but it's what I need to hear.

My timescale isn't screamingly urgent, I'm looking at replacing my old system during the course of this year, so I have time to visit a couple of Apple dealers and have a look at what is exactly on offer. In fact there is a local computer store recently opened in Erding and they seem to offer Apple products, I'll give them a try first.

Posted

My main worries are in the areas of software that I use: Obviously I use MS Office quite extemsively, mostly Excel, but also Word and Powerpoint. I believe there is an MS Office version for Mac which would solve one problem?

Yes, based on what you've said, the Home & Student version of Office for Mac will suit your needs. This can be purchased and downloaded from Microsoft. Price depends on the location of the bank account used for purchasing (£110/140€/$140).

My biggest problem here is with my website, designed in FrontPage. <snip>

... I have read that Mac's iWeb doesn't allow importing of html, so to quickly switch FP into html and then import it to iWeb also appears to be a no-goer. <snip>

... One other option could be to get hold of Dreamweaver for Mac then import html to this, maybe? But then how easy is Dreamweaver to learn? I've heard it's pretty difficult in comparison to FP?

Just to confirm your thoughts, absolutely do not transpose your website to iWeb. Apple's iWeb -- like Microsoft's FrontPage -- has been discontinued and so you would likely end up wanting or needing to transpose your site to yet another non-discontinued program.

A trial version of Dreamweaver can be downloaded from Adobe, so you could check it out. The cost of Dreamweaver ($399) might give you pause, however.

I also read that I could possibly partition the drive on a Mac and run Windows in a second partition? How easy / usable is this?

This is absolutely possible. For a general explanation, see Apple's Windows on a Mac video. For more detailed answers to FAQs regarding making a Windows partition with Boot Camp, see Apple's Boot Camp support site (Boot Camp is Apple's software -- included with your Mac purchase -- that partitions your hard drive and permits Windows OS to run on Macs.)

Two points about the Boot Camp approach:

(1) You will need to reboot/restart your computer each time you wish to edit your website files in Windows/FrontPage. Similarly, to go from Windows back to the Mac OS, you will again need to reboot your computer. Whether this is deemed a major or minor inconvenience is up to you.

(2) You will need to provide a full copy of Windows OS (XP2 or later), which does not come with your Mac purchase.

For step-by-step Boot Camp instructions, see PC World's How to Install Boot Camp and Run Windows on Your Mac article.

Perhaps the most user-friendly solution to your problem (although more expensive than the Boot Camp approach) is to run Windows/FrontPage on your Mac with virtualization software (e.g. VMware Fusion or Parallels). Both of these virtualization programs can be downloaded and have free trial periods, but afterwards require purchase. VMware Fusion is significantly less expensive (45€) than Parallels (€95). I'm not familiar with either of these programs, but I imagine VMware Fusion would be sufficient for your needs.

Two important things about the virtualization approach:

(1) No rebooting of your computer is required. You can stay in Mac OS and run Windows/FrontPage at the same time.

(2) You will also need to provide a full copy of Windows OS, on top of the purchase of the Fusion/Parallels virtualization software.

Of course if you're comfortable editing your own HTML in a text editor and tranferring and moving these HTML files around (i.e. with FTP) on your website's host server, you could do everything on your Mac (or any computer with internet access) without the partitioning or virtualization. This is obviously the cheapest route. But time is also money -- if you absolutely need FrontPage to assist you in writing and organizing your website's HTML files, then you will need to go either the Boot Camp or virtualization route.

Otherwise I use my PC for storing photos and although I don't use anything like photoshop, I do resize and crop pictures for my website with Irfanview. So I need only basic tools here.

Mac OS includes software (i.e. Preview) that can do basic image editing such as resizing and cropping, among other useful things.

Finally, I have two external USB drives for data storage and backup, can these be plugged into a Mac or do I need Mac versions? If so, how do I easily move my data from these to new ones? I'm talking about 50-100gb?

Windows-formatted drives [MS-DOS(FAT) and exFAT] are recognized by Macs and files/folders can be seamlessly shared between Mac and Windows computers using these drives. Windows does not recognize Mac-formatted drives, however. So, if using a drive in a mixed environment of Macs and Windows, best to format them as FAT or exFAT. Perhaps an important caveat to this is that an external drive must be Mac-formatted to be used with most (all?) automated incremental backup software on Macs [e.g. Apple's Time Machine (included with your Mac purchase) and Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich Software].

Sorry for being truly Mac-ignorant here and possibly asking stupid questions, but hopefully the good folk of TT may be able to give me some pointers.

You might also find informative Apple's Frequently Answered Questions website.

DVD/CD-read/write optical drives (Superdrives) are still currently included in non-Retina display MacBook Pros. They are absent from MacBook Airs and Macbook Pros with Retina displays. They are also now absent from current iMac desktops (the super-slim iMacs).

Both Apple and third parties sell external USB optical drives if desired. On Amazon.de there are some for 30€.

I would highly recommend checking out the online Apple Store for deals on refurbished iMacs. These computers have the same warranties as non-refurbished iMacs, yet you can get over 100€ and sometimes over 200€ off their original price. The website is updated based on availability and it often changes, so check back if there is nothing there at the moment. Also, older refurbished iMacs that include optical drives will still be available there for some time.

Gaming isn't too shabby on the Mac -- it is getting much better, anyway.

I highly recommend poking around at your Erding Apple reseller (Agelero IT-Systeme?) and testing out some of the hardware and software.

Posted

if you are wanting to virtualise for Frontpage then Oracle's Virtualbox more than capable and free of charge. I use it on my Air to run linux & windows dev servers.

Posted

The more I look at this and think about it, the more I'm coming down in favour of a change to Mac but sadly, my old steam-driven Dell has packed in this morning and just won't boot. I have an appointment with a PC repair man this afternoon and hope the verdict isn't fatal as I'd like him to coax a few more months out of my old Dell as I save up for something new.

I've also had some great help on this topic offline and it looks like there are some very viable options for my main concern of my website with a Mac. Everything else should be quite easy in comparison so I'm moving forwards on at least visiting my local dealer for some first hand experience.

Thanks again everyone and meanwhile .... back at my wife's laptop .....

Posted

Just a quick update, even though not much has happened yet:

My thanks to a couple of people who PM'ed me with some very helpful suggestions and offer of help, this alone gave me confidence that I could actually make the change should I decide to.

As I mentioned my timescale is for later this year, but I have started looking.

My old Dell is running again, the problem was memory and a local PC repair man worked wonders to get it running again. OK, so he put some new memory in but he also performed various checks and housekeeping .... it's now running faster than ever with 2gb memory, but that's basically its limit, so old it is.

Obviously he recommended me staying with MS & traditional PC.

As I have a couple of days off work I called in to the local Mac dealer today and had my first exposure to their products.

I was suitably impressed, but should I 'go' Mac it would not be Macbook but actual desktop, my reasons here are cost and also screen size. I don't need portability.

I explained my one great concern about my website maintenance (FrontPage) and his suggestion was to run it under Parallels which I understand to be an MS virtual machine.

I'll investigate further to see if this is really such an easy option or even possible.

Pretty well any other option would be to rewrite or redesign the entire website in a new programme, either iWeb or Dreamweaver ... ? Not something I'd relish being an old Luddite with over 200 web pages ;-)

What I will say is I liked what I saw, the quality of everything was top, but that's to be expected, non?

That magic mouse was brilliant.

I'll keep you updated further as I investigate and pontificate further.

Malty

Posted

It's no problem to run an Imac with a full windows version (I currently work with both, and use bootcamp to switch systems).