Cost of living in Bonn

93 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I am sitting on an offer for a job in Bonn.

I am supposed to negotiate the salary but I have no idea of the local cost of life.

Can you help me understanding what "brutto" salary would be sufficient to:

rent a nice flat in a nice area of town (say 100 m^2),

regularly use a car, have a good quality of life (a few evenings out per week, summer holidays, etc.).

I'm 39, single with a pretty active lifestyle (like to practice sports, go to concerts, and so on).

Any additional information regarding the city and expat life will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Posted

For 100qm you could expect to pay between €600-800 pm Kalt.

Posted

It entirely depends on where you stay in Bonn. Consider yourself lucky if you can find a 55 SQM apartment for 600 € anywhere in the city center, Beuel, Ramersdorf, Limperich. For a 100 SQM apartment, you might have to consider moving a bit away from Bonn Center and Beuel / Landgrabenweg like Endenich, Freisdorf, Pützchen, Holzlar.

I really can't comment anything on your brutto. People with similar lifestyles as yours might be in a good position to write on this topic. Using the search box is also a good idea.

Cheers,

Bandu.

Posted

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/de/finden/...84B53A8.worker2

should give you an idea of what your housing options are.

It may be simpler to work out what you would need netto and then ask your prospective employer how that translates to a brutto figure. Also ask for clarification whether the monthly salary would be paid 12 or 13 times a year.

Posted

Thanks a lot for your help!

Could you then please indicate a "netto" salary that would be appropriate?

Would 3000 EUR (netto) be enough? (I know that Switzerland is way more expensive than Germany but in Zurich this is the salary of a grad student!)

Also, how much does health insurance cost? Is it normally provided by the company or not?

Chris

Posted

Have a search around this board for health insurance, tax, church tax, pensions etc. to get an idea of the deductions that will come out of your brutto salary.

This thread may be of interest

Is €3,000 per month gross a reasonable salary?

I think it's fair to assume things like groceries are cheaper here but as I've never lived in Zurich I can't tell you how much the difference is.

Posted

Thanks Rebecca but could you also give me a rough number?

I will work on the details myself but it would be helpful if you could estimate a threshold above which you would say a salary is "good".

Posted

The search function may help you more than I can

http://www.toytowngermany.com/search/?q=salary+expectations

and if that doesn't answer your question try starting a new thread in the Finance section of the board.

PS There are very few areas of Bonn that are really not nice. Most of the affordable ones are connected to good public transport.

Posted

Hi,

I know that this has been somehow discussed before, but I would like an updated opinion.

I have been offered a job at Bonn, which will provide me with an income of around 2,000 Euros, after deductions. I am trying to figure out if this is a good offer. I looked at the web for some aprtments and saw that I could have a reasonable one or two bedrooms apartment with around E800 (I am single). Are there any other 'hidden costs' that I have not calculated? For instance is there a council or other taxes? For example, I read that I need to pay around E22/month (compulsary) for TV / radio tax.

Any advice will be helpful - I do not speak much German so their websites are not very accesible for me.

Thanks

George

Topics merged by admin

Posted

The local taxes, cost of having your wheelie bins emptied etc. will all be included in your Nebenkosten which you pay the landlord in addition to the rent every month. At the end of the year the landlord should add up all these costs and work out if you have been paying the right amount so you could get a surprise bill for this. Some landlords choose to keep quiet if you have been paying too much (you are entitled to ask) but none keep quiet if you have been paying too little. If the Nebenkosten on an apartment seems very low it may be that the landlord is deliberately underestimating to make the property more attractive.

Also, when you register you will answer a question about religion. If you say you have none you won't have to pay church tax.

Posted

Hi to all,

I m sitting on an offer of fellowship that will provide me with 2000 euros/month in Bonn. Will someone guide me whether that will be a comfortable amount if I chose to move there along with my wife?

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Also, when you register you will answer a question about religion. If you say you have none you won't have to pay church tax.

If you are Church of England you can say that and will be exempt from church tax anyway.

Posted

I m sitting on an offer of fellowship that will provide me with 2000 euros/month in Bonn. Will someone guide me whether that will be a comfortable amount if I chose to move there along with my wife?

Hi! Does your wife work? What kind of standard of living are you looking for? It kind of depends on what your current financial obligations are aswell. However - If those 2k EUR (I am assuming after tax, not before??) are what you have calculated will be left AFTER all your current costs (car payments, insurance policies, rainy-day-savings, alamony, etc..) have been deducted, then I would go out on a limb and say yeah, you should be comfortable.

Broken down cost estimate:

80-100m² 3-room flat in a nice living area (Poppelsdorf, Südstadt, Kessenich): 800 EUR

Optional Parking Space: 50 EUR (usually don't come with the flat)

Electricity/Heating/"Nebenkosten": 150-200 EUR

Telephone/ADSL-Internet: 50 EUR

GEZ (TV-License): 20 EUR

Food is hard to say - I reckon I spend about 100 EUR per week on food, maybe even a bit more, but that is mainly because I like very nice stuff so I regularly shop at deli-like places which are generally more expensive. Depending on your apetites, and chosen quality of food/drink you can probably feed and hydrate two people on anything between 150 and 600 EUR per Month. So you will have to know what you are likely to spend. So lets take a stab with a dart and say your avg. cost will be 400 per Month.

That gets us to roughly 1500 EUR in total. Sounds about right for a "comfortable" standard of living. And the rest is for you to spend as you see fit. Eating out in Poppelsdorf/Südstadt is usually not the cheapest but the quality generally reflects the price. Depending on what you eat and how much you drink prices can vary between 15-30 EUR pP. Of course there are exceptions to this but I would say I usually spend about 40-45 EUR incl. tip on a meal for two people in that area. In the city centre it is usually similar price-wise though you can easily get cheaper snacks.

Concert tickets differ violently according to whats on. However I would say for your standard well known musician/band you can go and see them at the "Museumsmeile" or in the "Brückenforum" (to my knowledge the two biggest venues - at least by people-count - in Bonn) for anything from 30 - 60 EUR p.P.

The opera in Bonn is, depending on which seats you want of course, between 15 and 65 EUR - not as dear as the MET but then again not quite as spectacular, either ;-)

Clubbing and/or having a good night out in the centre can cost anything from 30-80 EUR p.P. - really depends on where you choose to go.

Cinema is usually between 7 and 12 EUR p.P. depending on the day of the week.

Taxis are not cheap, but affordable - busses are much cheaper and often just as quick. Hourly bus services run right through the night - at least on weekends (which is when I care about that sort of thing).

Supermarkets are generally open from 8am - 10pm though some might open/close earlier. For a few pointers on where to get "nice" stuff to eat simply ask here and I shall elaborate! ;-)

Hope this info helped and wasn't too much!!

Posted

That last reply seems to answer just about every question you could ask!

My own opinion is that 2,000 Euros a month will be enough - you should be able to find a very decent sized apartment for 800Euros warm (max) - that means with all the extras included. You don't have to pay Church tax unless you really want to. Health insurance is changing as of next year which will make it easier to choose a health insurance plan - your company should be able to help you there. The cost of living around the Rhine area is pretty low, as a single person your weekly shopping will easily be covered with 100 euros a week (we can scrape that with a family of 4!).

There's also quite a large expat community in Bonn so you could tie up with English speakers quite easily.

If you need any more info here's some sites in English which might help.

www.rhinemagazine.com

www.english-network.de

www.amazingdusseldorf.com

www.howtogermany.com - this has a lot of really useful info about setting up home in Germany

www.bonnexpat.com

Good luck!

Posted

This is very helpful information - lucky for me. I am contemplating a move to Bonn for 12 - 18 months contract. I don't have significant relocation benefits - so I will need to find a furnished apartment or sub-let. Any suggestions for how to find these types of accomomdations? My German ability is practically zero at the moment. Thank you!

Posted

You should start by reading this (if you haven't done so already): Apartment rental - Germany. There's plenty of useful information on the forum already, just use the search function (upper right corner). Happy reading!

Posted

Churchtax isnt something you have to pay, if you say your non-religious they wont charge you for any church taxes. If you already have your "Lohnsteuerkarte" (taxcard) and it shows some religion and they charge you for that you only need to go to the Amtsgericht (court) and tell them to cancel that. Theres no law in whatever country in Europe that can charge you for your religion without your OK.

For the costs of appartments and houses you best get the saturday edition from the General-Anzeiger (local newspaper), there are lots of private and commercial adds in that.

Have a nice sunday

Posted

For the costs of appartments and houses you best get the saturday edition from the General-Anzeiger

Might be a bit difficult since the poster is currently in Washington, DC.

Posted

The General-Anzeiger flat/apartment ads for Bonn (and the rest of North Rhine-Westphalia) can be checked here ...

Posted

Thanks... the other challenges is my non-existent German ability. Off to buy a book now.

Posted

Hi there

I will apply for a job in Bonn and have to indicate my salary expectation. I need some help on the subject. Currently we´re living in Cordoba-Spain. (We is my wife, two kids (5 and 10 year old) and myself). We do it fine with 1500 euro/month. However, I have no idea of the cost of living in Bonn: flats, healt, education, culture life (meaning theatre-once or twice a month), pizza and dinner three time per month, taxes, and so on.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Welcome to Toytown. Have you read this yet: Cost of living in Bonn? Use the search function (upper right corner) and you'll find that most of your questions have been answered already. Try keywords such as salary, taxes, health insurance, international schools, etc. Last but not least, look through the relevant TT Wiki pages: Apartment rental - Germany, Health insurance, etc.

Posted

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help.

I've been offered a job in Bonn, but I'm not sure if the salary is going to be enough to live on, especially after reading about the big taxes in Germany and the rental prices.

It's an 18 month contract at 1400 EUR gross a month (full-time job) with no other benefits or relocation costs. I'm currently living in the U.K, aged 26 and single and this would be my first job abroad, but I can't negotiate my wage (I've tried): it's a take it or leave deal. I just have nightmares of not being able to pay my rent, bills, food etc, and not having lived abroad before I'm a little worried.

Any tips, comments, advice would be very much appreciated!

Happy Easter! :)

Posted

Daisy whats the job doing? Is the salary fair for the type of work?

I would say you could do it easily on that amount. As long as you don't want to go out drinking everynight of the week.

How much do you live on a month in the UK?

Posted

Hi Stu,

The job is for a communications trainee at an international NGO, but I'm not sure how it fares in Germany, especially as they said my hours would be around 40 hours a week. I would earn more for the same job in the U.K working for Oxfam or any other company, plus I have a Masters, but I have less than 2 years 'proper' work experience, which means I'm overqualified for most jobs and don't have enough work experience to get the other jobs that require a postgraduate degree (I hope that makes sense).

I live on about £600 a month here in the U.K, but I earn more than the £600: I'm just a saver, not a spender and my only spending not included in the £600, is petrol money for my car and the occassional trip abroad. Plus, as I live in a shared house with a garden, I do grow quite a lot of my own food, which cuts down on my food bill.

Do you know roughly what I would be left with after taxes out of the 1400 EUR?