New in the Regensburg area (or new to this forum)

99 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright so I live in Parsberg, which is about halfway between Regensburg and Nurnberg. I work on a US Army base (Hohenfels), and although you'd think that by working with American people I'd actually know some, I have to resort to finding company online. By "company" I don't mean anything perverted, I just really need someone to go out and get hammered with. Seriously. Alright, scratch the hammered thing, I just wanna go out, hang out, party, eat, dance, whatever.

So if you're in the area, trying not to sound too desperate, I say PLEAASEE. Let's do something.

Cause sitting at home just sucks.

Posted

I live in Laaber. I don't get hammered, and I have a newborn, but I love hanging out! I organize a little expat group in the Regensburg area.

You can contact me here or through www.amiexpat.com if you'd like.

PS I was just in Parsberg yesterday. Me and my German had dinner at Hotel Hirschberg. Excellent!

Posted

Christina,

Hi, my name is Lindsey. I made a post recently asking for advice on moving and living in Regensburg, and someone directed me to your blog as well as Cliff's. I'll be arriving in Regensburg on either the 10th or 11th of February. It would be nice to meet your expat group and get to know a few people soon after I get there. Will you be having any meetings/outings around that time? Thanks, and I hope to hear from you soon!

P.S. Your little son is so handsome!!

Posted

We are a married couple with children living in the Oberpalz region between Neumarkt and regenberg and we are looking to network and meet new people.

I live and work in the Hohenfels area as well

Posted

Hi everyone!

My name is Adrian. From 1st january i live in Augsburg and there i have met some nice persons trought this forum. Now, for a week i live in Regensburg and i wanna meet here some nice people with who i can hang out when i finish my work. I can talk also german.

So anyone who wants to talk, please write back. I'll be waiting.

Thanks.

Adrian.

Posted

Hi All!

I lived in Regensburg for the whole year of 2007 and moved back to Australia when my visa expired. Now that 2008 is coming to a close i'm looking to return to my favourite city for 6 weeks! In that time I will be staying with my boyfriend at his apartment in the city. Although i hope to spend as much time with him as possible he is a really busy guy and we are currently not sure as to what the workload will be like for him over January, (hopefully not too much!)

In the case that he is unable to come out and play with me i'm looking to find english speaking/fun loving people to hang out with during the days that he will be busy, so i'm not cooped up at home watching the idiot box, waiting for him to finish :lol: I'm talking about going out for a nice meal or coffee, a beer in the afternoon maybe (I love my brew!!) or just meeting up for a friendly chat!

I'll be 22 in January, my German is basic (at best, but good for a laugh) and i am very familiar with Regensburg having lived there for a whole year. So if you're around my age feel free to send me an email in the leadup to and throughout January.

Sarah

Posted

See, it was all going really well until . . .

I will be staying with my boyfriend at his apartment in the city.

At this point all the blokes left the thread. :lol:

Posted

However... ;)

In the case that he is unable to come out and play with me i'm looking to find english speaking/fun loving people to hang out with during the days that he will be busy

Posted

We just moved to Lappersdorf (Regensburg) and I have just quit my position in medical device clinical research to stay at home with my 2 kids since we have had a lot of difficulty finding good childcare for after school. So I am really looking forward to having time now to meet expats in the Regensburg area. My hubby is German and is a Neuro-radiologist working in a private practice in Regensburg. My kids are 7 (Nicholas) and 5 (Emily) and we have a 4 year old Golden Retriever, Marlon. I am very interested in reading books and would like to start a Books & Bagels club which would entail swapping books with others in the club. I look forward to meeting new expats.

Posted

Well the bagels would be at Kona kaffee haus right off the main square and they have two decently sized rooms as well as two smaller walk through that have some tables. They also have heat lamps for their covered seating outside as well as a uncovered patio area that gets packed in summer but right now is a parking lot for those SUVs these Germans call baby carriages. They offer a limited selection of bagels as well as nice selection of condiments for them.

Now Kona@Bucher Pustet is the same coffee but limited in seating and on a Saturday horrendous to sit there but nice people watching spot..

Boston Kaffe haus at the Kohlmarkt is probably the best people watching spot and has a large upstairs seating area. Harry the owner speaks very good English as well as his staff and they are very courteous. The selection of bagels are premade IE cheese already on them so the inside does not get toasted properly but this is my only complaint against them . On a scale of 1-10 i will say that the double espressos are about 7. You can usually find two or three artist occupying the front table with me being one of them.

Now cafe literature. Hands down the best double espresso pour in the city and possibly Bavaria. The guy is Italian and understands the process of a quality bean, grind, pressure, steam , and pour. It is located right off haidplatz(sp?) and is almost invisible to passerby another plus. Seating is limited though but he operates a very large "mini-library".

Aran located in the old tobacco factory across from the Bucher Pustet has great large/community tables although the Germans that sit at these tend to be elitist and cringe when someone else sits at their table. I mean the tables are meant to seat about 15 but when two people are there "god forbid" someone else sits there. Thankfully I do not care and sit down and let them get up if they choose that's their biz. Although I will state German mothers do not seem to care and often do not give a second glance. I guess they are glad someone does not mind their screaming kids( I do but thats what an Ipod is for).

Book exchange sounds good keep us posted to see what you got. I am currently reading Good Omens

RATISBON!

Posted

Thanks for the many venue ideas - I am hoping to have the first meetup in January. I am just waiting to get feedback on dates and availability of others. Right now I am reading my last lecture - good way to end 2008 and bring in 2009.

Posted

Now cafe literature. Hands down the best double espresso pour in the city and possibly Bavaria. The guy is Italian and understands the process of a quality bean, grind, pressure, steam , and pour. It is located right off haidplatz(sp?) and is almost invisible to passerby another plus. Seating is limited though but he operates a very large "mini-library".

Actually I was incorrect it is off Arnulfsplatz ( I always reverse the two) .

Posted

Bagels and Books

Date: Friday, 16.January.2008

Time: 10:00 a.m.

Venue: Kona Coffee Garden GmbH, St.-Kassians-Platz 6, 93047 Regensburg

Reminder: Bring any of your personal English books you would want to share with others.

Look for a 35 year old woman with Korean genes and American passport who has a bright blue leather briefcase.

Posted

Hi there!

I am a 28 year old girl from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada just recently moved to Regensburg! I am looking to stay for the next year and learn German. I am keen to start baby sitting in the area , or household cleaning! If you have any ideas or could use some help let me know!!! Or if you need a friend to chat to I am here!!! Look forward to hearing from you!!

Posted

I will second that very good instuctors there and not that far from the city center or HBF. Welcome to Regensburg.

Posted

Thanks you guys...need to learn!!!

Posted

Where in regensburg are you living? Aldtstadt oder?

Posted

Hi, I also live near Regensburg, Frauenberg (Brunn) and would love to meet up with some english speaking people. I am married to a German, we have 2 kids aged 5 and 6 and a dog, I am originally from Ireland but love living in Germany!

Posted

Yes...right in the middle of the city...but may be moving soon!!

Posted

Hi all... Just moved with our young family to Regensburg in January. Still trying to get used to living abroad, it's a lovely town, but can be lonely sometimes for a newbie! We finally have visitors coming and am wondering where we should travel... We're picking them up in Munich and planning a 4 day road trip somewhere... any ideas? Our youngest traveler is 3 and oldest 60... (FYI - they have never been to Europe, so anything is a go...) Thanks!

Posted

Salzburg, Austria

Vienna, Austria

Berchtesgaden, Germany

Prague, Czech Republic

Croatia

Italy

Posted

Austria would bea good consideration if you are up to par with your german. Salzburg is not that far away , a lovely city, and since it is small very easy to walk across.

Posted

hello all,

i moved to Poikam 3 months ago and i dont know really many people here in Regensburg. i have a son who is 3,5 and i would like to get together with english speaking people.i lived in the States for 5 years and 2 years in Mexico and now we r in Germany. my husband is german but we still have the habit of speaking english at home...with kids without kids or all the family...i am all open...

Posted

Well for all regensburgers do not forget it is the Dult opening weekend and the weather is perfect! Cruised though today and had a wonderful time and remember the Kneitinger beer tent is a must if only for the beer!