Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy British groceries in Berlin

51 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know of anywhere in Berlin where you can get real English ingredients for cooking. I have resisted the temptation of replacing my clothes with jars of marmite and vinegar on my recent trips home but still feel the need for some home comforts. The main things I am after are basics like oxo cubes, baked beans, any indian style food jars of curry etc (Not very English you may be thinking). I also have had a lot of difficulty finding milk that is like semi skimmed back in the UK, can anyone let me know which brand etc is closest to this.

Thanks for your help

J

Posted

We can buy Heinz baked beans in some of our local supermarkets. No need to import them - unless you are looking for the mini-tins (but its still not worth importing).

Gave up on OXO cubes years ago... You will probably find that normal milk here has less fat content than in UK... certainly the cream is thinner here.

Posted

Heinz baked beans I buy in bulk in Metro, (you must know someone with a Metro card to shop there) OXO and vinegar I purchased from the shop from home or whatever the site advertised here in TT is. There you can also buy the curry pastes, but I buy them locally in Thai shop. BTW you can get Naan bread (normal and garlic) in Netto.

Posted

KA-DE-WE!! Whatever you need is there!

Posted

hi,

does anyone know where you can get well priced english foods in berlin?

Im talking about things like dairy milk, walkers chrisps, hob nobs and proper english tea (not english breakfast, i mean proper tea, yorkshire tea would be perfect).

i went to KaDeWe as i was told they had 'everything', but all i could find was a king size dairy milk that cost me 4.85!! im not paying that again.

help!!

Topics merged by admin

Posted

KaDeWe does NOT have everything and if you do go there or the British shop near Südstern they are not cheap! food from home are the best online service I have found

Posted

i am still wanting english food.

im not so bovered about the tea and chrisps, i can just about do with the german ones.

But its the dairy milk that i really need. I dont have a bank account, so i cant shop online. there must be somewhere in berlin where i can buy it cheap!!

please help, i NEED chocolate

Posted

Broken English seems to sell Yorkshire Tea and it has a selection of UK chocolate (style food) products.

There is a branch in Kreuzberg. This is the British Shop in Südstern that Scorpio was referring to.

Posted

A new place is my high tech shop in Lahnstr.85 Neukölln. Near U7 neukölln u-bahn Tel 030 5697 7808. Nice Garden in the Summer to read the books and eat the crisps or drink a cup of tea. Robert Berridge

Posted

Anyone know where I can buy Harvey's Bristol Creme? I need it as a key ingredient for my favorite dessert recipe. I've seen it in a bar on a shelf, but the barman didn't know where to buy it.

Posted

Trifle perhaps?

Check out englishbooksandfoods in Neukölln, you can pick up other stuff there too that is cheaper than Broken English.

Posted

Anyone know where I can buy Harvey's Bristol Creme? I need it as a key ingredient for my favorite dessert recipe. I've seen it in a bar on a shelf, but the barman didn't know where to buy it.

You should be able to substitute any sweet sherry. Kaiser's in Nollendorfplatz (and presumably elsewhere in bigger branches) have sherry at between 3 and 4 € a bottle. I assume they have a sweet one - I only buy dry for myself*.

*And for my favourite roast pork recipe - pork loin stuffed with serrano ham and crushed almonds, liberally doused and basted with sherry and olive oil and sprinkled with thyme, oven-roasted with a whole (unpeeled) head of garlic. Lomo de cerdo asado a la Gaditana. Luvvly :) Buuurrp!

Posted

often the asian supermarkets will sell UK spicy/saucey jars, pataks for example (mango chutney, korma sauce, etc) or alternatively make your own! go to pfenningland in the berlin carré next to alex, herbs and spices are generally 1€ a bag and they're decent too.

there's also one a bit further out. a shop in potsdam that has a wide range of uk curry/asian stuff, i think it's simply called altes, it's in lindenhof off brandenburgerstr not far from the 1€ book shop.

and dairy milk sucks compared to ritter ;)

Posted

Kaisers has Weetabix I noticed B)

But otherwise, the place in Charlottenburg (it is on a corner, near the S bhf station) has a lot. Vegemite is over €5 for a mini mini mini jar, and other prices are similarly inflated, but when you need self raising flour, brown sugar, etc, it is there.

good luck

Posted

I have Bristol Cream and most of the Brit essentials. Freezer will be stocked for this thursday.

Sorry for the self-plugging, Britain in Neukölln Lahnstr 85

robert berridge

Posted

Or by mail order which is a little cheaper: foodfromhome.

I have also used foodfromhome and, while not particularly cheap, they were rather fast.

Posted

how about online shopping at http://www.english-shop.de/ ?

Posted

Christmas is here again and the shelves are full of pies,puddings and crackers as well as alll the other foods needed for a perfect Christmas.

robert hamburg and berlin