Life in Karlsruhe and moving there

105 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I've just moved from Scotland to Karlsruhe to work in the city's Natural History museum for the next couple of years.

I'm currently crashing in the guest house however i think its about time to start looking for a proper place to live. Was just wondering if people had any advice for the best places to look finding/renting a flat or any other general advice living in Karlsruhe.

Would also be nice to hear from anyone who is living in the area, i'm guessing thats not too many people, but its always good to meet up with some other english speakers. Sadly my germans sounding pretty poor right now.

Cheers

Posted

Heh, I have a feeling you need to ask more specifically and then I am pretty sure you're gonna get some answers -- I would actually assume that there are a few native English speakers (which I am not one of) in the area.

Posted

Hi,

If your still looking for somewhere to live I can recommend the agents I used http://www.move-in.info/ Tel. 07243 333 941. They're a small operation based in Ettlingen and provided excellent service. They also speak English which was important for me because I haven't progressed beyond restaurant German yet!

The expat community seems to be based around Flynn’s Inn:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...wloc=A&om=1

and Scruffys:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...=16&iwloc=A

and involve lots of drinking!

Posted

I second ibrookes' recommendation of the move-in relocation service - they provide a simply invaluable welcoming service!

Posted

Howdy...

I live near Karlsruhe - and finding a place to live will be tough because you are competing with many University Students.

There are diverse papers - such as the Spermüll ( pure small advertising - in Canada they call this paper "buy & sell)

or Amtsblatt (local weekly paper or booklet on Community happenings).

The best way to get a place (if you are not in a rush to move out from your friends) is through networking with colleagues and friends.

If you can hang out an advert (bulletin board - there is one in the REAL store and I think the DM marts have them too) with what you

are looking for and your phone number, maybe someone will call back.

There are also organizations that have appartments (also in Amtsblatt) such as Familieheim, ALBA, Baugemeinschaft, etc.

They have appartments to let, but you must become a member first and purchase something like a "stock". That is basically

your down payment and will be returned to you once you are no longer a member.

If you are very "open" - a Wohngemeinschaft - a group of people live together and share bath/kitchen but each has their own

bedroom. A lot of students do this to split the costs.

I hope that this helps.

AND good luck...

Posted

Well, I don't live in Karlsruhe. But because some fucking nob forgot to mention that a meeting with a customer which usually happens in Munich is now in Karlsruhe, now I'm somewhere in the the middle of the schwarzwald with clothes for only two days. Instead of going back to Munich I now have to go to Karlsruhe and need to buy some stuff for surviving Thursday and Friday.

Where around the Karlsruhe Hbf can I buy clothes? How late are stores open? I shall be able to get a train from Freiburg to Karlsruhe at 6 pm, so I expect to arrive there at around 7. I'm hoping stores are open until 8. Is that the case?

Thanks for any info.

PS: sorry for the rant. Should look for the vent thread.

Posted

There is a large mall called the Ettlinger Tor you should find something there. It's open until 8pm every day (except Sunday of course!) and 10pm Thursdays.

How to get there

Mit der Bahn:

Vom Hauptbahnhof Karlsruhe mit dem Taxi oder mit der S-Bahn (S1/S11 - Neureut, 2 - Durlach oder S4 - Eppingen) bis Haltestelle Ettlinger Tor. Von dort aus siehe Anfahrtsplan.

Mit der S-Bahn:

Haltestelle Ettlinger Tor oder Marktplatz.

Posted

Top recommendation Nicole. Thanks a lot! The Ettliger Tor center is just a few minutes away from my hotel.

Made it just in time there.

Owe you a beer :)

Posted

Make it a large one eh ;) Glad you found what you needed.

Posted

Hi all,

My partner and I are moving to Karlsruhe in the middle of May as i got a new job.

A few questions!

1. The best area to live? I will be working in the north east part of Karlsruhe.

2. My partner speaks english only, are there any english speaking jobs and where do we find them?

3. any other tips and hints would be much appreciated!

4. Oh yeah! Where is the best place to buy a car? I heard second hand bmws are cheap!???

thanks

Topics merged by admin

Posted

The questions are a bit too generic for any useful answers, but here you go:

1. It'd help to know details, such as life style, expectations, house/apartment etc. In the city proper, neighbourhoods in/close to the NE of KA are Rintheim (city-like living), Hagsfeld (pastoral), Waldstadt (heavily forested area sprinkled with tall apartment blocks, old bungalows and the odd mansion) and Oststadt (city-like). They're either within walking distance or with straightforward tram connections. Parts of Stutensee (Blankenloch, Buechig)(outside city limits) are also close by and well connected, if you prefer the more tranquil life out in the sticks. NW parts of the city are also nice to live in, but one would have to change trams to get to NE. By car this is not an issue.

There are also nice villages to the East, in a more hilly/forested area. maps.google.com and immobilienscout24.de are your friends.

2. All the English-speaking jobs are concentrated in the SW part of the city, and there's also an Office for English Jobs there. Kidding aside, it, again, depends on the field, qualifications etc. In IT there might be some. In Waldstadt there is a European School, but I think they're fully staffed for the year. If your partner is in pedagogy, it never hurts to ask, though.

3. ...I'm trying hard but can't think of anything. One tip would be to use the "search" functionality. :-)

4. Sorry to sound obvious, but probably the best place to buy a car would be a car dealership. There's more than 1 in the area, though, so you'll have to do some search: mobile.de, autoscout24.de, set your search criteria and restrict it to a small radius (kreis) around zip code (PLZ) 76133. BMW dealerships in the area are all part of the Ungeheuer holding (www.ungeheuer.net).

2nd hand BMWs being cheap: I don't know, it depends. As a rule of thumb, big-engined gas cars depreciate far quicker than smaller-engined diesel ones. Rough numbers:

E36: from 2k EU to 8-9k. /6 (Z3s) range from 8k through 15k.

E39: from 5k to 17k, figure 10k for post-facelift models

E46: from 9k to 18k; you can find a loaded 330i with a few miles for approx 15k.

E60: from 17k to ...; early high mileage models are easy to find. You can find a fully loaded 545i with reasonable mileage for low 20k. Diesels are expensive.

E9x: from low 20k to ...

For older models, E30s, E31s, E32s are nigh on impossible to find. E34s are scarce. I don't know jack about Xs, but they seem to hold their value much better than non-X models. Figure low 30k for a run-of-the-mill old gen X5.

Cheers.

Posted

All the English-speaking jobs are concentrated in the SW part of the city, and there's also an Office for English Jobs there

I'd like to know where exactly is the Office for English Jobs?

Posted

Hello everyone, I have read all the comments above mentioned. I will also be moving to Karlsruhe in the next few months. Just want to know from the expat point of view, the Americans already living there, where is the best area to live. My husband and I are a young couple (in our 30s) and are expecting our first baby. We would like to meet Americans living in Karlsruhe that could give us a General idea of what to expect. We currently live in Colmar, France which is 1.5 hours away. We are thinking of taking a trip to Karlsruhe this weekend to check out the scene, but have no idea where to go. Please help.

Thanks, m

Posted

I live in Weststadt which is very nice. (expensive though)I don't know about all the areas of Karlsruhe, but I've heard that the majority of the auslanders live in Sudstadt. If you starting a family, maybe you want to look at an area outside the city. Ettlingen is quite nice and an easy train ride to the city center. Hope it helps.

Posted

I am new to Karlsruhe and have a 3 year old. When we moved here we were told by a few people to stay away from the Südstadt - Weststadt is very nice. I have been told Durlach is a nice area to live.

We ended up renting a gorgeous new apartment in one of the smaller towns south of the city. I found the towns north of Karlsruhe weren't so nice compared to the towns in the south (Ettlingen, Karlsbad, Waldbronn). Karlsruhe has a wonderful StraßenBahn system which connects to most of the surrounding towns.

I'm not American so I can't tell you where they all are :-) I have only met one other native English speaker in KA, but I'm sure they are around somewhere. Apparently Karlsruhe has an American Library, which I'm still to find.

Very best of luck, Karlsruhe is a lovely area.

Posted

Here is a link to the American Library. It is in the Northwest Stadt, which used to be the residential area for American military personnel. (Therefore the American street names. However you would not say Americans live there now.)

This is the address:

Kanalweg 52

76149 Karlsruhe

Tel.:0721-72752

It is open on Saturdays from 10am - 2pm. There is a message board so why not post a message there.

Type in Kanalweg 52 76149 Karlsruhe into Google map and you can find the way there.

Posted

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your input. I will forward my number in Germany (once I get one). I would be interested in meeting other English speaking moms who are in the same shoes as me. Thanks, moraima

Posted

Thanks Orla Inka, now i just need to find the time to get there. Might check it out next week.

Moraima - I meet with a few English-speaking German ladies about once a month, they have young children. We are always looking for new English speakers to join our chats. If you like you can contact me later when you know you will be in Karlsruhe and we can organise something. see Mother and baby/toddler group in Karlsruhe

Posted

I forgot to add, it's kind of evolved into a mother's group... Not so much a mother/baby/toddler group. Sometimes we meet without the kids.

Posted

Hello,

I am currently living and working in Germany but may be moving to Karlsruhe for work this June. In September I will be married and my wife will also move from the US (Michigan) to Karlsruhe where we will for about 1 year. We are in the young 20's and I have some questions/concerns.

I am worried about my wife having nothing to do and was looking for suggestions/advice. She graduated from her university with a degree in history and a concentration/minor in rhetoric. She speaks no German (yet) and has little French. She would love to find a job in Karlsruhe to stay busy and for extra money but we have no idea what she could do. She is really open to anything requiring native English language skills. She also did an internship writing speeches for the Secretary of Education in Washington DC last year. She would like to use her degree but that could be a stretch.

Could anyone point us in a direction for English jobs?

Other than jobs, does anyone have suggestions to stay busy and enjoy our time here? I am a bit worried about her getting bored or homesick especially if she doesn't have a job and I work everyday so I want to have some things to look into. She wants to get into photography... anyone else out there? Or do you have suggestions to get in contact with some others in the area? I know there is a university... do they have an English speaking or international club... or anywhere else in the city? What about travel groups? We both love history and really would love to take advantage of our time in Europe.

Sorry for the long post... She just has never traveled out of the US and is stressed about what it will be like and what she will do. We are both excited for the adventure and the unique experience living in Europe. Thank you everyone in advance for any advice, suggestions, links etc.

-Mathew

Topics merged by admin

Posted

English jobs are not that easy to find if you want decent $$$ (if anyone corrects me with tips and a job i am willing to have my mind changed)

As for what she can do, learn german! depending on what visa she is getting there are some free courses or really cheap onse run by different instetutions around here. I did one (had to for my visa) and it was not as good as what you would get in a private school but Jetzt ich kann OK Deutsch sprechen und schreiben.

if you want any more info then drop us a PM, i am an aussie and been living in ettlingen (5 min from karlsruhe) for 12 months and came here with not a word of german.

Good luck

Greg

Posted

Seconded. The best thing your fiancée can do is to start learning German now, even before she moves to Germany. It will make things much easier for her, trust me (been there, done that...), and not only where her job prospects are concerned.

Posted

Thanks for the fast responces... We are not really worried about the $ as much as her having something rewarding to do and stay busy... you know?...

Posted

My friend is currently doing research at the university and it's a completely international department, and the language is English. I would assume there'd be clubs/activites to get involved with where English-only wouldn't be a deal-breaker.