BBC to launch iPlayer video-on-demand services

13 posts in this topic

Posted

The BBC has given the go-ahead for its Video-on-Demand services, due to be launched later this year. About 15% of total BBC content will be made available for download up to 7 days after broadcasting. You will then have 30 days to watch the programme. The BBC have developed their own peer-to-peer software and download manager (called iPlayer) to enable file-sharing thus avoiding costly server capacity.

More can be read on the BBC website

What isn't clear is whether this service will be available to people outside the UK, though I very much doubt it. At the moment many BBC live streams and download are only available to UK IP addresses. I am certain someone will come up with a way to get round the IP issue eventually, though (like perhaps proxy servers), so this might be of interest to many people without satellite TV or PVRs.

iTV is also planning to launch a similar service allowing people to download shows fromt he previous 30 days direct from their servers.

Posted

When the US Masters (Golf) was on I noticed that the BBC website was offering live pictures but 'only for UK viewers'.

Not expecting it to work, I clicked on it anyway and it worked!! - despite the fact that my IP address was assigned by Deutsche Telekom. Maybe this was because I already had some cookie on my system (a laptop) from accessing the BBC website from within the UK (?)

Posted

Especially if it's tied in to the ability to view it on Freesat receivers.

Posted

I read somewhere that in Dec this year a new EU law comes into effect which makes restrictions of broadcasts within the EU illegal...ie all free UK content will be available for any EU nation free and vice versa.

Posted

IPlayer is not a public broadcast - it's Video-on-Demand so the same rules don't apply and they can restrict it as much as they want. Otherwise free UK content for public broadcast is unrestricted anyway.

Posted

iPlayer also runs a live service, which I would assume would fall under the new reg.

Posted

Especially if it's tied in to the ability to view it on Freesat receivers.

Anyone know exactly how this is going to work?, do you have to buy extra hardware for the receiver?or how you would hook it up to receive it wirelessly?.

Posted

Well, the Freesat+ PVR from Humax (and I believe the coming one from Panasonic) has a network connection on the back, so they merely need to enable the facility in the firmware. Not sure about other Freesat receivers. I plan on using a powerline adapter to get network connectivity.

Posted

The Freesat specification requires manufacturers of Freesat products to include internet capabilities. All Freesat systems (including TVs with integrated Freesat tuners) have an internet connection and in most cases they are enabled (will get an address from your DHCP server), but there is no client process for the user to access the internet. The intent of this is to permit Iplayer-type services, in particular a firmware implemented version of the BBC IPlayer, possibly before the end of the year.

Posted

Has anyone had any luck ripping the iplayer downloads. I tried very piece of software out there and none of them were able to rip them. I want to rip them so I can copy them to the hard drive and watch them via my DVD player which has a remote.