German credit card recommendations

230 posts in this topic

Posted

I need a German credit card - a free one... like in the US.

I have a Citibank card for all my US shopping (on EBay). What I really need a German card for is to do a monthly deposit to my offshore 'savings' account. They will allow only a direct debit from my German bank account or from a German credit card. Right now it costs me 12€ each month to do this stupid wire transfer. I'm not making that much money doing that!!! :angry:

So, does anyone recommend a German card with either a very low or no yearly fee?

Posted

the Miles and More Visa is always a good idea since it gives you airmiles for the star alliance network. Pick up the entry forms at most banks or online at Miles and More. Nice thing is that you can get excellent service in english. making payments online from any german bank is free (or cheap, according to your plan).

Posted

You can get a Citibank card here. If you have an account with Citibank in the US and Germany, you can send wire transfers back & forth between countries at no charge.

Posted

I have a VISA with Cosmos Direkt based in Saarbrücken.

0 charges if you make a minimum turnover on the card.

"Focus Money" (spit!) turned them up as one of the cheapest "no frislls" cards.

Service is fine too.

Posted

I have an American Express card.

It's free for the 1st year, and earns you Miles&More points, as well as having their own points schemes, cheaper insurance etc loadsa benefits!

Then you swap after a year to summat else free.. :)

Posted

Well, I have to say I really miss that about the States. I have never ever in my 20 years of having a credit card, had to pay the yearly fee.

I'm going to keep looking around.

Posted

Isn't that blue card from American Express free for the first year?

Posted

@Showem, yes, that's what I meant by "It's free for the 1st year" ;)

Posted

Ah, sorry, read over and missed your post. Ooops.

Statement: UrbanAngel said it first and best.

Posted

I have a VISA with Cosmos Direkt based in Saarbrücken. 0 charges if you make a minimum turnover on the card.

what is the min turnover pls?

do you have to be a shopaholic?

f.

Posted

I THINK it is about €3000 a year for to to be free... otherwise €20.

A few flights a year and some fairly average use in departments stores, the odd hotel and restaurant bill and I get it free. And I'm quite tight with money.

Posted

Citibank has an absolutely free visa with a particular account. You should have no problem getting it if you have the minimum balance (2500 Euros). Your rental deposit and stocks and bonds with citibank count as part of this minimum deposit. See this thread for more info:

Comparing Banks in Germany

Posted

> happydigits

I can't believe for how little most people sell their soul. Are you aware that their sole purpose is collecting customer data and selling it to whoever wants it? Would you also let a complete stranger into your house and let them look into every drawer, go through your dirty laundry and underware and every room in exchange for 20 bucks?

Posted

@Showem

Actually, my Am Ex card is gold. Not sure if that makes a difference to your blue card suggestion. Hmm, anyway.. :)

Posted

I'll let you do it for €15 if you don't make a mess. ;)

Posted

Actually, best marketing idea since Coke pulled the "New Coke" back to not exactly "Original Coke" scam (less phosphoric acid and different sugar).

Back in the states it will save you a bundle when you go shopping with a Kroger, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Giant, etc...card. Wish they had those kind of discounts here, but then again, food is primarily cheaper here anyway.

Posted

I need a credit card to replace the US one - tired of using the American billing address, paying it off in US funds, etc. Lufthansa has one for a 50 euro annual fee. Are there any that don't cost anything? Any that can help me get free airplane tickets?

Thread merged by admin

Posted

haven't come across one that isn't completely free. some are fee, or have a reduced fee, if you spend over a certain amount annually. The only credit card i know of where you can earn miles is the Lufthansa Miles & More VISA card.

Posted

I recently made a mistake of signing up for a credit card at the airport. Not being able to speak much german let alone read, I signed up for the card. It turned out that I signed up for the entire balance to be automatically deducted from my bank account. Being a man who likes to slowly pay of his credit card (bad habit) this is not the card for me.

If you would like to pay your card in full every month, check out Royal Bank of Scotland.