Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84: paper

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American literary idol Kurt Vonnegut, best known for such classic novels as "Slaughterhouse-Five" and "Cat's Cradle," died on Tuesday night in Manhattan at age 84, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Longtime family friend, Morgan Entrekin, who reported Vonnegut's death, said the writer had suffered brain injuries as a result of a fall several weeks ago, the newspaper reported.

Posted

I've only read his Slaughter-House Five which is a classic novel. I love the epitah in there "everything was beautiful and nothing hurt".

Posted

He's one of my favourite authors.

RIP

Posted

*Sigh*, he is one my favorite authors. He was one of the best novelists of our time.

Posted

I just bought 6 of his books on Amazon. I've read a lot of his books already, he is definitely my favorite author. Or was. Sad.

Posted

AH FUCK.

post-1082-1176379101_thumb.jpg

Now I'll never get as drunk as lobsters with my favourite author ever. Ah fuck. Fuck.

Thank you for enriching my life, writing books that accompanied me through times both hard and high, inspired and humbled me and legions around the globe with your humanism, insight and above all, that sense of humour.

Ciao, machs gut Advance Scout Vonnegut.

Posted

Sad that he died, but I thought "Slaughter-House Five" was a crap book.

Posted

One of my favorite writers. A great loss.

So it goes...

Posted

just heard this on NPR on my way into work this am. sad.

Posted

Well ladies and gentlemen a man has died. The same man that encouraged us to leave the humanist closet to scream out into the world I am alive. The man that challenged we history students with words like “ I remember a time when my country had no army and chided those that did

Posted

Very sad news.

Can't help but feel that the world is an emptier place with out Kurt Vonnegut in it.

What a legacy he has left us though.

Posted

Can't help but feel that the world is an emptier place with out Kurt Vonnegut in it.

..."So it goes" (catch phrase from Slaughterhouse five)

Posted

Nooooooo!!!post-1812-1176407425.gif

He was my favorite all-time author. And for those who only read Slaughter House 5, that is NOT his best book by far. Read 'Slapstick' and 'God Bless you, Mr. Rosewater', and 'Galapogos'. Those are books to live by.

"I wish that people who are conventionally supposed to love each other would say to each other, when they fight, "Please— a little less love, and a little more common decency."- from Galapogos

There are sooo many good quotes, but there will be no more. sigh.

Perhaps he should have remembered this: "You will last a lot longer, if you don't try to sing." - God Bless you, Mr. Rosewater'

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED

FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD

WAS MUSIC

* Vonnegut's Blues For America 07 January, 2006 Sunday Herald

Posted

"'Hi Ho" - Catch phrase from 'Slapstick' (or 'Lonesome No More')

Let us devote to unselfishness the frenzy we once gave gold and underpants.

Posted

One last quote, from 'God Bless you Mr. Rosewater', as it's why I read sci fi as well:

I love you sons of bitches. You’re all I read any more. You're the only ones who’ll talk all about the really terrific changes going on, the only ones crazy enough to know that life is a space voyage, and not a short one, either, but one that’ll last for billions of years. You’re the only ones with guts enough to really care about the future, who really notice what machines do to us, what wars do to us, what cities do to us, what big, simple ideas do to us, what tremendous misunderstanding, mistakes, accidents, catastrophes do to us. You're the only ones zany enough to agonize over time and distance without limit, over mysteries that will never die, over the fact that we are right now determining whether the space voyage for the next billion years or so is going to be Heaven or Hell.

Posted

" Excuse me for my laughter I am perverse in that respect"

KV

Posted

"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest." Aye, raise a pint to that man.

Posted

A bit embarrassing to admit, but I loved his cameo in the Rodney Dangerfield film "Back to School". Vonnegut getting a poor grade in a paper analyzing his own work sounds fitting somehow. He also gave the Grateful Dead the title of their publishing company, Ice-Nine.

Posted

A bit embarrassing to admit, but I loved his cameo in the Rodney Dangerfield film "Back to School".

HA! That's the first thing I think about when I hear his name! I've read some of his stuff (and liked it) but clearly I've got to read more.

[after Diane gives Thornton an 'F' for his report, which was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut]

Diane: Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!

[cut to Thornton's dorm suite]

Thornton Melon: [on the phone] ... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the check!

[Kurt tells him off]

Thornton Melon: Fuck me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, *fuck you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!

[hangs up]

Posted

Never read any of his work, but the obituary in The Register section of The Times recommends me to 'Mother Night' though 'Slaughterhouse Five' sounds like it will be my first stop, simply because of its subject matter.

Posted

I saw a postcard today that KV sent to a penpal of his:

http://www.flavorwire.com/338465/15-postcards-from-famous-authors#8

Ah, why can't there be more authors like him in the world. Will never forget my first encounter with "Cat's Cradle" which then led to obsessively reading everything he'd ever written--and neglecting my homework to do so.

A lot of people have said he didn't produce much of worth in his final years, but I always loved this quote of his from "A Man Without A Country" (2005):

"I know that customarily English departments in universities, without knowing what they're doing, teach dread of the engineering department, the physics department, and the chemistry department. And this fear, I think, is carried over into criticism. Most of our critics are products of English departments and are very suspicious of anyone who takes an interest in technology. So, anyway, I was a chemistry major, but I'm always winding up as a teacher in English departments, so I've brought scientific thinking to literature. There's been very little gratitude for this."

Posted

I remember a time when my country had no standing army and chided those that did

-KV