Using a shopping cart / trolley / bag-on-wheels

44 posts in this topic

Posted

My cat is joining me as an expat next month, so I'm thinking of buying one of those little bags/trolleys/carts to transport kitty litter and food home from the store. I usually associate these bags-on-wheels with my grandmother's generation. Will using one around town add decades and make me seem old and uncool? I mean no offense here, but I don't feel like I've seen many of the younger set using them, although maybe I just haven't been paying attention (I only seem to notice the old ladies with them, clogging the aisles at the store).

Assuming not, what should I look for when buying? Some are 20 Euros, others 100+. Are the more expensive ones worth it? Are there any special features I should look for?

TIA!

Posted

The best way to go would be one of those tartan bags/ alternatively stripy bags attatched to a luggage rack with a few bungy cords :D .

Posted

get the tartan trolley with the built-in chair

Special feature indeed! I had no idea there would be so many, uh, attractive options.

Posted

I once had one of those suitcases with wheels that business people often cart around when going on trips. Was on my way wheeling it through Berlin`s Prenzlauer Berg (def not the right place to be seen with something like that, but thats where I lived at the time). The little wheels on the thing were getting quite a bashing from east Berlin`s uneven potholed pavements. A couple of Prenzelberg lads were walking along the pavement towards me and burst out in sniggers of laughter as they passed. After that I decided that was it, no more suitcase-on-wheels for me. For middle aged penquin business men, ok, but not for the likes of me. The wheels on the thing broke a short while later anyway, so it was back to my trusty rucksac - and my street cred back again.

Posted

you can get some mega-fab trolleys these days - if I had a longer walk to the supermarket for heavy stuff than I currently do, then I'd like one of these (although I don't have an image as a "cool youngster" anyway, so you're probably best off not listening to me ;)):

post-1433-1176369084.jpg

Posted

I am searching for these shopping trolleis here in Hamburg and I don´t know where to buy them!

I have to carry out a lot of shopping bags and I don´t have a car!!

Posted

Cheap: Woolworths

Decent: Karstadt

Posted

I use one of these. I can get loads of stuff in it. Just yesterday I came home with a lot of bottles and heavy things. It is balanced so that it just follows along behind me with just two fingers on the pull handle. It also bumps up the 4 stairs in my house easily. It hangs on the shopping trolley at the store, too, so that I don't have to leave it by the door.

Posted

Google "Hackenporsche+Hamburg" ;).

Ikea offers them, and they are usually sold at stores that also offer bags and suitcases.

Posted

you can get some mega-fab trolleys these days - if I had a longer walk to the supermarket for heavy stuff than I currently do, then I'd like one of these (although I don't have an image as a "cool youngster" anyway, so you're probably best off not listening to me ):

post-1433-1176369084.jpg

OMG i love this :wub: where can i get one, will need it as i won't have a car

Posted

I use one of these. I can get loads of stuff in it. Just yesterday I came home with a lot of bottles and heavy things. It is balanced so that it just follows along behind me with just two fingers on the pull handle. It also bumps up the 4 stairs in my house easily. It hangs on the shopping trolley at the store, too, so that I don't have to leave it by the door.

Love this one too :D

Posted

Grandma/pa style is in. So are second hand, old trolleys. It's all sooooo cool right now! Especially in Berlin The EPIcentre of cool. (That's a big EPI) Haven't you seen them around Boxhagener Platz? Thick rimmed specs, wearing grandpa jackets, wheeling their old trolleys full of 78RPM records?

Sure they aint got kitty-litter in there, but just don't tell anyone what's in the bag, lady. So get down to the second hand thrift shop and get yourself an old school trolley, like a tartan pattern with chunky zip flip/top lid.

Posted

While the vintage carts may be cool, I have found that pulling them is difficult. They aren't balanced well and all of the weight is on the handle.

On the other hand, I am a granny and I have bad shoulders.

Probably from carrying heavy stuff when I was younger.

Posted

I got a really cool one from Real, with trefoil wheels to make the two flights of stairs easier to navigate. App. €46 a year ago.

post-4788-13546132396923.jpg

Posted

Love the wheel idea Sara do they come in bright colors? i am not a black person, i need life lots of colors :D

Posted

For the record, the cheapest I could find were at the Turkish shops at Steindamm (kostet 10 oder 12€), right across Hauptbahnhof Süd. I remember seeing also a 'Treppensteiger' there for the same price (not sure of the price though). I got mine already at Ikea by then.

Convenience matters more than looks for me :)

Posted

Sure they aint got kitty-litter in there...

erm...I need one precisely to carry kitty litter

hrmph