Gyms and fitness studios in Berlin

127 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey, I've recently moved to Berlin and I'm thinking about joing a gym. I still consider my german skills not very great, so if you knon a good gym in Berlin, where stuff can speak English too, that would really help.

Thanks

Posted

They all speak English to my knowledge, though I dont' think any of them do classes in English...but it's good for your German!

I go to Fitness Studio...they speak English there if you need it.

Posted

Thanks, of course, I didn't expect they will have classes in english, I was basically looking for gym where staff can speak some english, if necessery.

Posted

Gold's Gym in Prenzlauer Berg is decent. They don't speak too much English, but I was able to get through enrollment pretty easily. You get a free personal trainer appointment with enrollment. My trainer spoke English (maybe Thomas?). I've since heard a couple other English speakers speaking English with a few of the other trainers.

Nothing too fancy - Fitness Studio and Elixia are swankier. Gold's has treadmills, ellipticals, stair machines, bikes and a couple rowers along with free weights and Nautilus machines. No pool, but a sauna. Two small studios for classes.

Not sure if they will repeat the deal, but last Summer they offered 1 Euro/day as a trial membership option.

www.goldsgymberlin.de

I never checked out http://www.swiss-training-berlin.de/, but I've heard some expats talk about it - so they might speak English there too.

Posted

There's the "sky fitness center" in Charlottenburg, Kranzler Eck. Pm if youre interested, i think i can get you into a trial.

Posted

and here was me thinkin the dumb bell was universal...

Posted

McFit is cheap cheap cheap and is 24-hours ... but does not offer classes (so just machines, etc.). Plus, who can resist the logo of the fit banana!

Posted

Hello!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, not too expensive and reasonably centrally located squash club with a fitness/cardio centre? If so, I'd REALLY appreciate learning about it? I'm dying to play squash and haven't been able to track down a good club. Thanks so much!

Posted

McFit may be cheap, but it's racist:

http://www.muskelschmiede.de/forum/1305-mc...mal-wieder.html

http://www.rbb-online.de/_/kontraste/beitr...ag_1143477.html

http://www.aktienboard.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85109

http://de.linefeed.org/2004/09/91793.shtml

(Sorry, I know the thread is for people who want a gym where English is spoken, so you probably can't read the articles that well ... basically, they're writing about the experiences of several non-Germans who went into McFit and were denied memberships solely on the basis of how they looked, which was proven when they did tests where a German would walk into the club and successfully sign up for a membership immediately after a non-German had gone in and was denied and put on a supposed waiting list.)

Posted

I'm fed up with Jopp Frauen Fitness and looking for a new gym.

do any of you have any experience with Aspria? What did you think of it?

Posted

holy smokes, that's too steep for me.

I emailed them to find out what a basic membership costs per month. Let's see what they come back back with.

Posted

Hey all, can anyone give me info/experiences on gyms in f'hain,kreuzberg,p'berg areas or thereabouts...or even if theres some sort of group training things i can find on other boards. I'm into strength/fitness/mma, not too keen on yuppie water cooler type bollocks

Topics merged by admin

Posted

McFit is the one I use and there's everything there that you could want from a gym. There is a CV section, one for weight-machines and a free-weight room with plenty of weight and equipment. The atmosphere is quietish but friendly.

Posted

I go to Holmes Gym in mitte. A lot of trainers are american ,..bit of a mix in there. I was at Golds, it is cheaper but unfriendly, at least I found.

hi there,

can you tell me how much per month both of these clubs cost?

cheers

Posted

If you've got 50EUR a month and don't mind working to a certain set of hours then I can recommend the Elixia clubs.

I've joined the one in Neukolln and quite like it. They've a swimming pool, tread mills, elypticals, cycling machines, plenty of weights both free & fixed. There's also 2 rooms for the workout classes, if you're that way inclined.

The 50EUR is the 'off-peak' option which confines me to just the Neukolln gym Mon-Sat before 3pm and no access on Sunday. If I want to switch between gyms at my heart's content I'd have to upgrade to the standard 80EUR which also gives me access to the gym at any time it's open (I think 0630 - 2300). It is based on a 12-month contract, but there is a clause by which if you move away from Berlin you just need to show them your unregistration document (abmeldung?) and they'll cancel the contract.

Both of the managers at the Neukolln speak excellent English, PM me if you want their e-mail addresses. There are also a number of English-speaking trainers.

I would've been fine with somewhere like American Fitness, but the one in Neukolln didn't have any rowing machines and that's my main cardio workout machine.

Posted

can you tell me how much per month both of these clubs cost?

I payed for Holmes 83 per month. Sometimes they have specials which are really good. eg. pay 6 months get 12 or dont pay the first 3 months. Golds that was along time ago, not to sure there. Have you tried in google gym berlin? might be helpful.

Good luck.

Kate

Posted

Hi,

I posted this some weeks ago in the sports forum but haven´t had any replies yet so hoping that posting it here will be more successful!

I've only been in Berlin for few weeks but I'm already missing my weekly boxercise classes! Plus all the great cheap food here means that I need to burn off a few calories! I'm hoping that some of you can recommend some places for me to take classes e.g. aerobics, boxercise, step etc... I live in friedrichshein but happy to travel to Kreuzberg, Prenzl. and will commute through mitte.

cheers,

Catherine

Topics merged by admin

Posted

so no-one goes to any fitness classes?? I don´t care whether they are in English or german!

Posted

jopp frauen fitness is all over the city - they have classes and you can check their class schedule on line. Chicks only! Also fitness company has a bunch of courses. If all else fails get yourself a bike and ride all over the city all summer long ;)

Posted

thanks for that sunny. I do have a bike but the problem is that I rode everywhere in Cambridge before moving here so I need to do some other sort of exercise to really benefit... my calves are big enough already and I would like to balance out some of my other muscles!!!

Posted

I'd thoroughly recommend AXXEL Fitness in Bulowstrasse. I've just joined, am paying 294 euros for a six-month contract, which is a lot cheaper than many others, it's really well equipped and does loads of classes, it's great for both sexes. Plus, it's open 24 hours a day. Big, clean, relaxed. The staff on reception speak English, as do at least half the personal trainers. There's no annoying bureaucracy with getting a contract either - just take your passport, you get the first workout free, then you pay up. If you're getting the six month contract, you must pay in full. Any longer contract, you can pay in monthly instalments. It's two mins walk from Bulowstrase U-Bahn on the U2 line.

Posted

quick question regarding Mcfit; are fees taken directly from your bank account or can you pay by month in cash?