Germany has six cities in the world's top 25

134 posts in this topic

Posted

Again here are the results for the Mercer Qualtity of Life survey. There has been little change since last year.

Canadian, European and Australian cities continue to dominate the rankings this year, which saw little significant movement among the top 50 cities. (See the 2007 Quality of Living press release for more details).

Zurich, Geneva, Vienna, Vancouver, and Auckland remain the top scoring cities on the Quality of Living index. One of this year's biggest improvements has been in Osaka, rising 8 places to 42 from 51. Improvement was also seen in Oslo, which climbed five places from 31 to 26.

Baghdad remains the world’s least enticing city for expatriates with a score of 14.5. Other low-scoring cities for overall quality of living include Brazzaville in Congo (29.5), Bangui in the Central African Republic (30.6) and Khartoum in Sudan (31).

6th Düsseldorf (4th in Europe)

7th Frankfurt (5th in Europe)

8th Munich (6th in Europe)

16th Berlin

23rd Nurnburg

26th Hamburg

They also have the Sanitation index, which ranks Munich, Düsseldorf, and Frankfurt tied at 28th

Posted

Düsseldorf? WTF? Can someone explain the criteria?

Posted

Just click on the link provided in the first line of the first post and read.

Posted

Actually, i did that. There's only one paragraph there that even comes close to answering my question tho, if i am too blind to see it i would be thankful for a link.

What i found was:

The Quality of Living index is based on several criteria used to judge whether an expatriate is entitled to a hardship allowance. A city with a high Quality of Living index is a safe and stable one, but it may be lacking the dynamic je ne sais quoi that makes people want to live in world-renowned cities such as Paris, Tokyo, London or New York. Sometimes you need a little spice to make a city exciting. But that "spice" may also give a city a lower ranking.

Which explains Düsseldorf :) - but doesnt say much about the actual criteria.

Posted

According to Mercer Hr the following cities are in Asia ?!? I would have thought at least Australia has been qualified as a separate continent, but what do I know. These management people must have restructured the whole thing.

Auckland (tied for 5th)

Sydney (tied for 9th)

Wellington (12th)

Melbourne (17th)

Perth (21st)

Posted

i would be thankful for a link.

Here is one: Worldwide Quality of Living Survey

Mercer's study is based on detailed assessments and evaluations of 39 key quality of living determinants, grouped in the following categories:

-- Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc)

-- Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc)

-- Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc)

-- Health and sanitation (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)

-- Schools and education (standard and availability of international schools, etc)

-- Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc)

-- Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc)

-- Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)

-- Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc)

-- Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

Posted

I now live in Düsseldorf, after being in Cologne, Madrid and NYC.

I can vouch that D-dorf is a good candidate.

Perhaps not as many bars, clubs and restaurants as NYC and Madrid, but a fairly good collection. The Altstadt is lively and a good mix of locals and visitors.

It has only around half a million in population, not overwhelming, but in spite of its size the income level is fairly high, you have all the high-end shops you need.

Art museums are good, big exhibitions come here time to time, the parks are good, bike paths throughout the city, you can reach the countryside in 15 minutes max. It is Germany, so it is so safe as to be boring.

The airport has flights going to the important international destinations (Madrid and NYC, during Carnival there is even a flight to Cologne).

Cost of living is good, property is not wildly over-priced like Madrid, London, NYC., so you do not need to pay out half your income in interest payments.

However, it is funny to find D-dorf in the top 5...

Posted

Australasia ...???

Did I miss something in Geography class, I have never heard of that...

Posted

All bullocks, I live in the best German city, and HATE IT, Düsseldorf is dirty, filthy and boring. Worst of all the weather is scheisse. Going home to Melbourne in two weeks!!! Woohoo!!!

Posted

Isn't Düsseldorf where Auf Wiedersehen Pet was set?

Posted

basically the same results found here...

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_r...ties_worldwide/

I cant believe Hamburg is 26th. It perhaps the most wealthiest city in all of Germany, 'GDP, not GNP. but probably due to rising crime and infrastructurally, it may get a low ranking. Berlin being 16 makes me laugh...one would think, if they got rid of the Red/Red government and the do nothing party boy mayor, it would probably rank much higher.

Posted

if they got rid of the Red/Red government and the do nothing party boy mayor, it would probably rank much higher.

And replace it with a CDU government like the previous one that bankrupted the city by letting their mates get their hand in the till?

Not denying that the current government and mayor berlin are a bunchaKuntz mind.

Posted

The new survery is out, Düsseldorf beats out Munich yet again.

Germany still has 6 cities in the top 50, all of them better than the top US city (Honolulu)

London is #38, probably due to the cuisine

Posted

I love this quote: "Luxembourg ranks highest for personal safety; Baghdad, the lowest", really, are you sure? I bet it cost millions for the researchers to find that out!

Posted

In Singapore, Tiger beer has a label on it (or used to at any rate) that says it won an award for being the best beer in the world. Must have been done by the same idiots who are ranking Düsseldorf as anything other than a fuck off great industrial cesspit, populated by people whose painfully grating accents make the German language sound even more appalling than it already is. Oooh, lets all argue about whether nasty, fizzy kolsch is nicer than some other nasty fizzy piss from up the road.

Fuck that.

Posted

I'm really starting to question these tables. There at least six cities in the Top 20 where I would rather kill myself than have to live in. And to say "London" is ridiculous, because your quality of life will vary massively depending in which borough you live in – schools, hospitals and other services vary wildly.

D_R: Actually, I'm rather partial to a proper Altbier, but as with Brussels (No. 14), there's little other reason to live there other than the beer.