Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius

104 posts in this topic

Posted

Well wheelchair athletes can roll a marathon faster than athletes with legs, so naturally they're banned from regular marathons. It appears that his artificial legs also give him more of an advantage than nornal legs. the blades are springy. So obviously he shouldn't run against normal athletes.

Posted

I think it is a publicity stunt. The blades have the ability to "store" more energy than a normal leg - it is a more efficient system, in the same way that a bycycle is a more efficient means of propulsion despite also only using leg power.

I am sorry that the guy has no legs, but the Olympics are 100% correct in my opinion to stop him competing.

Posted

Oscar Pistorius 'shoots girlfriend' - local media

Headline news on the BBC and CNN this morning, knocking other less important news (e.g. Syria, Mali, Europe) off the top perch. Presumably because he's a sports personality?/disabled sportsman?/"celebrity"? If it had been one person shooting another person in, say, a black township, it's difficult to imagine that it would have (1) made national news, (2) made international news or (3) been reported as perhaps being an accident.

Posted

He is a disabled sport personality who overcame many challenges to end in the Olympics 4*400m relay or something. He was well known in the sport world, maybe that is why he made the headlines.

Posted

If it had been one person shooting another person in, say, a black township, it's difficult to imagine that it would have (1) made national news, (2) made international news .

you say that as if it is strange?? Of course it is more newsworthy

(3) been reported as perhaps being an accident.

you may have a point there. It seems a bit iffy

Posted

Some say, it can even be a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong. We can only assume, even the Blade-runner's father does not know the whole story, he will appear today in court.

Media houses are there to make money and in that, they go for what they think is newsworthy, a random township shooting may not be rated as such in this instance. Just last week, the world media was flooded with a South African girl who was also raped and killed, she was not famous nor did she come from an affluent suburb in Cape Town.

Posted

And now he's charged with murder.

I'm a bit gutted as I really enjoyed watching him in the Olympics and Paralympics and thought he was a great ambassador for sport.

Posted

And now he's charged with murder.I'm a bit gutted as I really enjoyed watching him in the Olympics and Paralympics and thought he was a great ambassador for sport.

He is a prick and a cry baby. And now he is a killer.

Posted

He's got two knives on the bottom of his legs and he has to use a gun?

Posted

...And the Oscar goes to..

..Jail..

-Trevor Noah- (SA comedian)

Posted

Oscar Pistorius faces murder charge

The precise circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear. Some reports said that Mr Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder.

But police said they were "surprised" to hear reports that the deceased had been mistaken for a burglar.

They added that there had been previous incidents at the address and described them as "allegations of a domestic nature".

Posted

in case some TTers need some 'leg jokes'.

Heather McCartney thread.

Yes. To be appropriate you could just tell one of the Heather Mc jokes twice. You won't look any stupider than if you make up a new joke.

Posted

Personally I think Oscar Pistorius has got no leg to stand on this time around.

Posted

She didn't notice Oscar sneaking up behind her. It was the silence of the limbs.

Posted

They added that there had been previous incidents at the address and described them as "allegations of a domestic nature".

??? Altercations, possibly.

Or alligators.

Posted

In a scenario were he is charged and found guilty, will they allow him to keep his blades/prosthetics or will they be considered as weapons? He will then have no legs to stand-on and knee deep in sh*t.

Posted

In a scenario were he is charged and found guilty, will they allow him to keep his blades/prosthetics or will they be considered as weapons?

they'll probably give him the chair

Posted

What did the poor washing machine ever do to deserve this? :(

post-93150-13609200417862.jpg

Also, the Daily Mail doing their moral best to honour a woman shot to death yesterday...

post-93150-13609230098298_thumb.jpg

Posted

What did the poor washing machine ever do to deserve this?

Posted in November, when they apparently started dating. Perhaps he really just wasn't accustomed to someone else being in the house.

Mr Pistorius and Ms Steenkamp had reportedly been dating since November

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21467359

Posted

they'll probably give him the chair

You finally found his Achilles heel.

Posted

He has to keep a clear head and both feet on the ground.