Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dishes that freeze well

37 posts in this topic

Posted

So the anticipated B-day of our little one is fast approaching, and I was thinking that food preparation is probably not going to be high on my priority list for the subsequent 2 to 3 weeks, and that it might make sense to freeze some meals. For some reason the LL supplied a full extra freezer, so we are set for space.

Now many might say...just order in...but we really actually like to prepare our own food, and eat 90%+ organic, and so prefer to cook with that.

I usually cook fresh, so I really don't have a good feeling for what meals actually freeze well and the heat up well.

I have stocked away some fresh soups, pasta sauce, and chicken broth...but would love some ideas on easy dishes that you know of that freeze well, and that are not lasagne. We are omnivores, have no food restrictions, and love all kinds of foods.

Have had some luck with a Middle Eastern cookbook, and will be making some chicken and meat filo pies today.

Any thoughts? Recipees? Any freezing disasters that I should avoid?

Thanks

Gem

Posted

Wouldn't any casserole freeze well and be most convenient to reheat and eat without a lot of fuss?

Edit - I see don_riinja reading this - he'll probably have some lovely ideas!!!

Posted

That is just it DD, haven't done a lot of casserole cooking in my life! Guess I best try a few.

Posted

I really don't know many either. Chili springs to mind as an easy option. It's the simplicity in reheating that you'll need. And also consider the spices and onions if you will be breastfeeding. Certain flavors go into the milk and some babies react differently to them. It would be bad if you have a gassy baby and a bunch of oniony dishes you can't eat, for example. So go for variety and basics would be my suggestion.

Posted

Chili is a good idea, though if this kiddo really can't tolerate onions and garlic...then I am in for a serious change in my diét, as I love them both, and very few of my meals escape them.

Posted

Stock up on fenchel tea then! ;)

Posted

goulash B)

curries

Posted

Mac & cheese. Stews. Chili. Gratins. Spaghetti sauce (if you want to add the noodles in advance so you can nuke them, too, make sure they're not quite al dente before freezing).

Ziploc bags (sold under the Toppits name) are excellent for freezer storage and portion control.

woof.

Posted

jml's pimp my chicken

Tajine or some kind of kebab would also work.

The Nigella Lawson recipe for meatballs cooked in tomato sauce with milk in also freezes well - here it is.

What you can also freeze well are pre-marinated or pre-dressed joints of meat for roasting, I've got a rolled beef roast sat in my freezer waiting for an occasion, easy to cook too as you don't really need to do much other than defrost and stick them in the oven.

Watch the seasoning with frozen stuff, it is easy to salt before the dish is frozen and then re-season, the salt hasn't gone away, it just doesn't zing as much so you could take in far too much sodium.

Good Housekeeping.co.uk freeze ahead recipes

Posted

Thanks, my shopping list is now growing. That JML Chicken dish sounds really easy and yummy.

Posted

yep definintely chilli, savoury mince, soup, beef in red wine, chicken casserole, spag bol, you can even cook off a whole roast chicken dinner and portion it up - meat pots and veg and then heat in micro from frozen too.

Posted

jml chicken really is great - freezing it somehow helps the flavours really go into the meat. Try also painting chicking pieces with tandoori paste and freezing. If you see chicken or other meats reduced in price, doing simple prep like that fills your freezer with good stuff cheaply, but only if you do the prep and freezing immediately.

That GH site is a bit clumsy, the next page button is only at the top, not the bottom.

Spicy pumpkin and sweet potato soup also freezes really well and you can microwave it.

Posted

Just a heads up...we have no microwave...and no plans to get one.

I need to find a good beef tips dish as that does seem a good freezable item.

And I am scrolling through that GH site, thanks Katrina

Posted

I have a weakness for traditional English sandwich bread. You know, the kind that you can roll into a ball but which magically expands back into place after a few minutes. I have not been able to find this here in Munich, though I haven't really looked either, and was thinking of getting some on my next expedition abroad. Does anyone know if this stuff can be frozen? Thanks.

Posted

It can, but it goes a bit soft if you defrost it too quick, defrosting it in a fridge works better than on the counter. Or toast it? You can toast it from frozen.

Posted

Things that can be portioned and freeze exceptionally well (do not fully or over cook):

Lasagna

Stuffed peppers

Spaghetti sauces

Word of caution: Don't make things spicy. Stick to preparing things very bland. Your tastes will likely change again and especially if you breast feed. After Ian was born, my wife wanted almost nothing of the things she craved so much during pregnancy and wanted only simple bland meat, starch and veggie dishes.

Posted

We made aboutr 20 "Kohlrouladen" last weekend - a couple

of times a year we collect meat from a naerby part-time farmer whose hardy cattle stay out all year & are robust.

Excellent Hackfleisch - so wife & daughter made Kohlrouladen. We ate 5 that evening, kept a some

for a few days later & froze the rest. This is one meal that BOTH children love.

I fear they dont keep for very long - at least not in our household :(

Posted

I would do a lasagna in particular I would recommend doing one with a eggplant sauce and ricotta cheese filling it freezes very well. Also most Indian food freezes very well and can sometimes even come out tasting even better than when fresh.