Health insurance costs, how much do you pay?

140 posts in this topic

Posted

Quote split from another thread...

I am paying around €250 as far as I remember.

Please tell me that's not 250€ per month! If it is, it's really expensive. But then again, if that's per year, it's really cheap. What's your insurance deal?

My employer gave me two options: 45€/month that didn't cover pregnancy or dental or 85€/month that covered both (I opted for that one). Am I getting ripped off? Or is it a good deal?

Posted

45€/month

Jeeves searches for words and reaches for the wine bottle...

Sounds pretty good value to me.

Posted

My insurance in total is €250 a month, with half paid by the employer. So €125 a month then. Is that a rip off? What are other folks paying?

And I don't pay church tax.

Posted

for health insurance, for a bloke, that is normal i think. I used to pay 13% with SBK and now I'm private I pay € 200-odd which is less... but then I'm a girlie, and the policy I have gives me a 1300€ refund every year if I don't claim that much, plus they pay for glasses, sunglasses, massages, etc...

Posted

My insurance is 408€ per month. I'm female, and it's private insurance. My company pays almost half of that. They only pay 50% of the public insurance rate. Of course, that's expensive from my perspective(having worked for insurance companies most of my career and getting free or very cheap health insurance). But, what can you do?

Posted

Kitkat, that sounds exorbena.. exhorbin... exorbann... really expensive. I pay about €1000 per year for health insurance. Who are you with?

Posted

Insurance for females seems to be about 2-2.5 times more than that for males. She's only paying 200 per month (company pays the other half) while you say you're paying about 90. Sounds about right to me.

Posted

For private insurance females pay more than males for the same service. Fact.

Posted

I'm with Huk Coburg. They pay for everything(contact lenses, etc). I went to the doctor for my shin splints and he did an MRI(same day, amazing) and they paid for that too - 100%. So, I can't complain. I heard that they also pay for the lasik surgery for eyes - I have to check that out - life would be so much more convenient without contact lenses.

Plus, I was already 36 when I moved here so my, ahem, "advanced age" made it more expensive.

Posted

@ Jeeves

Females as a group (as opposed to the individual) don't pay more for the same service - they are sicker more often and for a longer period over their lifetime than males. That's the beancounter explanation (I'm a beancounter ahem).

It's the same reason why males and in particular young males pay more for car insurance - the companies pay out a lot more for their cover.

Posted

OK, so I am seriously getting ripped off. Can anyone beat 477 Euros per month? OK, so my employer pays half, but geez!

Posted

I claim the prize!!

€505,68 on my most recent wage slip.

I've resolved to look into private insurance when I get back from hols...

Posted

i don't know how to do it and don't have time to figure is out, but maybe someone can make a pole thingy with a range of prices for male/female insurace... i think it would be interesting...

i'm with dbv winterthur and pay €272 total (i.e. €136 myself) a month, i've never had occasion to make a claim off them yet, but there service looks proeety extensive...

Posted

In the short term Private is better if you are not planning in staying in Germany

for the restof your life. The problem arises when you retire, then Private costs

a fortune compared to the public health care...in relative terms private can cost

2000 euros a month when you are in your retirement!!

SO I will stick with public, as I plan to stay here very longggggggggggg!!!

Posted

I have expat health insurance with JBI Private Health Care for Expatriates based in the UK. I originally just took out 6mths but have now extended it. I only pay about 45 pounds (Euro 64) per month. Its cheap as chips! It works too, as I ran up over 1300 Euros a few months back when I was quite ill and seeing lots of different people and getting lots of prescriptions. They ended up paying about 1400 to me, so I actually gained 100 yoyos for me beer fund - Happy Days :D

I looked into getting health care here but the prices were horrific. If you are here for a couple of years or so and from the UK, I would highly recommend getting your insurance from the UK its much cheaper.

Posted

I am self employed and pay 260 a month, but I am hoping that it can be declaired against earnings... Anyone know?

Posted

I had arranged healthcare cover with bupa international before i moved out here from england. but when i got here they said that bupa would not be sufficient and i would need a german healthcare insurer. Does anyone know why this is, and if i can just go private, or is it only if the company offers it as an option? i am currently paying 104€a month , so 208€ altogether.

thanks

Posted

Females as a group (as opposed to the individual) don't pay more for the same service - they are sicker more often and for a longer period over their lifetime than males. That's the beancounter explanation (I'm a beancounter ahem).

Bullshit. We're just not as reluctant to go as all you damn men are! ;)

Posted

It's the fact that we can get pregnant, not that we get sick more often, that we have to pay more. As told to me by the insurers themselves.

Posted

Yep - pregnancy and all the bits required to get pregnant are quite high maintenance, so ladies cost more, simple as that.