Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Visiting Fuerteventura, Canary Islands

32 posts in this topic

Posted

My wife and I just booked a week long stay on Fuerteventura over Fasching/Carnival :rolleyes: . I have never been there nor to any other of the Canary Islands. Any advice on what to see/do on Fuerteventura? Has anyone played golf there?

Thanks,

PES & Family

Edit: We have booked a children friendly hotel (all inclusive :P ) on Costa Calma. We have a 4 year old and a 6 year old.

Posted

It's many years since I went to the "Strong wind" Isle (something like 20) but I always used to love it there!

On one occasion I stayed in a 4* Beach hotel near to a busy resort and the hotel was great, but I would have preferred a more quiet area.

After that occasion, I used a 3* hotel, again on a beach, but it was in a then very secluded area further to the South. I had a 25 minute walk along the beach in one direction before I encountered another building and a 30 minute DRIVE in the other direction before I encountered one.

I dare say it has changed much since those times, but it was certainly always extremely relaxing with fantastic pure white beaches.

MT

Posted

Well we are here. It is windy, cool and not much to see. Beer is miserable, wine as well (but it is all inclusive). At least there is a kinderklub for our youngsters.

Posted

Played 18 holes today on the Island's main course (home of the 2004 Spainish Open). Nice to play, but course was a let down.

Posted

Which hotel are you in? We were in the Green Oasis (Costa Calma) about 8 years ago and had great fun (ah, the days when we didn't have kids. . . )

We took the bus to Jandia once, that's about as adventurous as we got. We stayed mostly on the beach, the sea was actually warmer than the hotel pool - well it was January!

Very envious, enjoy the rest of your holiday despite the crap beer and wine!

Posted

I'm already thinking about my next vacation and I'm interested in the Canaries (tip from a friend). How was Fuerteventura after all? I'm only thinking about a week in late February, early March and I would love to do something sporty. Is it warm enough to also just relax on the beach?

Posted

Well we are here. It is windy, cool and not much to see.

Never been myself but a colleague has been quite a few times for the wind surfing...apparently it's excellent for that!

Posted

I've been to Tenneriffe in January and although not baking, you can go out in t shirt and shorts.

Posted

True enough, but that island is boring! No trees, no culture... and WINDY!

Posted

We didn't spend all of our time in the bars and discos or on the beach.

There are things to explore there in the older settled mountain areas outside the resorts.

Little remote villages, walking trails, churches, Spanish life away from the English speaking karaoke bar.

Posted

If you want a sport holiday, but don't want to do loads of organising, try Club La Santa in Lanzarote. While a lot of professional athletes go, it is still friendly, the facilities are great and windsurfing is on-site.

Personally liked it better than Fuerteventura, it has a bit more variety. Temps will be low 20s at that time of year, Elf. Canarias.com

Posted

Anybody got any more to add to this topic? I have always been mortified at the prospect of all-inclusive trips, but with a nearly-three year old, I'm kind of hamstrung. Also, this winter is really starting to piss me off.. (also considering some family hotel at the North or Baltic Sea - just to get away and swim in an indoor pool, relax, read, etc..)

Went to a travel place today and they came up with an offer for Feurteventura. It does sound uncomplicated, with absolutely everything included..(direct flight, drinks included, kids club - though mine is too young, heated pool, nice beaches, perfect weather, etc..) Still, I have doubts. Food, I don't care that much - give me some bread and cheese or whatever.. I am however an unabashed coffee, beer, and wine snob..

What there is in this thread is not very encouraging..

Posted

Probably not what you want with kids but my wife & I went on a 10-day holiday last year to Teneriffe (starting last day of Feb).

Stayed in Puerto de la Cruz (the North) in a hotel mostly full of Rentner within walking distance of town.

Went on several tours (Masca, El Teide) & 2 days in Lore Parc (kids will like that). This is me on top of Teide volcano:

post-10876-13575775761053.jpg

We are toying with idea of going again this March (have too much Resturlaub)

Most families looking for beach hols go to the South.

For late Summer I can recommend where we went to many times on Ibiza - but it ain't cheap.

Posted

Check out Madeira, it's in the same neighbourhood, similar temperatures and unlike the Canaries it has a lush vegetation (Fuerteventura looks like a moon crater): http://www.check24.de/urlaub

Posted

There was a TV program (NDR3?) on Madeira last week which whilst interesting to watch convinced us not to go there.

Posted

You can't leave it at that ;)

Please do tell what was in that program.

Posted

Nice.. Unfortunately I won't be doing anything like that for a good ten years I guess... :(

I was kind of set on Feurteventura earlier today after talking to the guy, but after getting home and spending ten minutes on the internet looking into it, I'm now not so sure...(again) This aversion of mine to mass tourism package holidays just runs kind of deep.

I guess it's not so much the package aspect, it's just the lack of historical sites, buildings, the variety of things to do, explore, and so on.. I.e. options. But I really don't know - maybe a week with nothing else to do but sit on the beach in front of a square hotel and play with my kid and eat at the same place with no thoughts of anything else is what I need. I still can't really get my head around how to travel with a two-year old..

My best holidays have been in Portugal and Spain(inland though - IMO most of the Spanish coast is overdeveloped and ruined..), waking up in the morning and deciding over breakfast where to go next..

ps We nearly booked Madeira a few years ago, but ended up going to Lisbon and down the coast instead(one of the most beautiful places I've seen - the coast about two hours' south of Lisbon..) I've heard it rains a lot there too.. And is more of a hiking island - so once again, "clink"... go the handcuffs of two-year old parenthood...

Posted

I would recommend hiring a car and simply doing your own thing - we ended up on the North of the island in a very small bay, where waves as tall as a house were crashing in - it was just so WILD!!!

Be prepared though, the roads are not quite up to German standards!

You really do not have to be where all of the tourists are!!!

Posted

You can't leave it at that

Please do tell what was in that program.

Of course lots about flowers with flower growers who were scratching a living (just) plus the Levadas (irregation scheme).

Of course the touristy thing where people are taken in sort of sledges down some steep road. It would seem that the island does not have children-freindly beaches except for some artificial ones.

Quite a portion of the program covered the Desertas islands to the East of the main island. Restricted access.

Posted

unlike the Canaries it has a lush vegetation

Not true!! Tenerife and Gran Canaria have massively different climates depending on which side of the island you visit. I spent a couple of weeks there in December a few years ago, stayed on the lush/ tropical sides of both islands and visited the rest by car. HDB, see Winter vacation to the Canary Islands. I loved that vacation.

I just got back from Hawaii, big island. Same deal there... lava moonscape on the Kona side, however this was our private backyard on the Hilo side:

post-33917-13575797670759.jpg

Keep in mind that lush means rain. ;) I'd love to visit Madeira some day, also Gomera [less touristy Canary].

Posted

Teneriffe - Puerto de la Cruz & Orotava Valley are very green.

When you drive around the main Kilauea crater the transition from aria dessert to tropical jungle takes place within the space of a few metres.

Posted

HEM, I loved Hawaii. If it weren't so isolated in the world, I'd consider buying a tropical fruit orchard and moving/ retiring there. Can't wait to go back and visit the other islands!

I gained several pounds in several days, though. :ph34r: I'm currently in a state of temperature shock. Went from mid 80s [F] to 30s, whaah!

HDB, I find your attitude regarding traveling with a toddler rather defeatist. Put miniHDB in a rucksack and hike! We took Jr all over the place at that age, including Italy and Catalonia. And we never stayed in hotels. Check out www.toprural.com, and consider staying on a farm/ finca with excellent home cooked meals.

Posted

I gained several pounds in several days, though.

Due to visiting Ken's Pancakes in Hilo? Or Bubba Gumps in Kona?

Posted

Well, after a bit more research, I think I've decided for Majorca instead. Shorter flight, more options and things to do with a rental car, Feb. is apparently nice with the almond tree blossoms(or whatever..), there are trains and historical trams or something(kid is crazy about trains), etc.. Weather is the big minus, but hey.. F. just sounds potentially really boring and cultureless.

(That said, I really don't even know what I want.. Maybe bored on a beach would be just right.. I can't figure it out though.. Majorca seems more like a compromise though between potentially interesting things to see and do, and kid-friendliness..)

Posted

I just booked fuerteventura. Been to the Canary Islands 5 times, but first time to this island. We are going to Costa Calma, which is quite a bit more quiet than say Playa de Ingles. There are plenty of boutique Hotels and places to rent if you want to avoid the whole all inclusive thing. I never stay in huge hotels, and have had good experiences overall.