Public speaking practice

224 posts in this topic

Posted

Join us for lunch and to practice public speaking in a fun and motivating environment with interesting people from various countries and cultures.

We get together regularly to learn to give effective presentations, conduct meetings with ease and to learn to overcome nervousness.

The "Effective Communicators" meet every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month. Our current meeting venue is the restaurant "Marktwirt", Heiliggeiststraße 2, near Marienplatz. Guests are always welcome. However, we recommend to contact the club before your visit to make sure there hasn't been a program or venue change on short notice.

Please visit our club website for more information: Effective Communicators / Toastmasters

Posted

This would be interesting to attend, however, I don't know if I am free tomorrow morning. Are there any costs to joining? Is this just starting out here? I went to the website, but it seems rather empty.

Posted

Hi Eurovol,

To be frank with you this club is so new that we haven't decided yet what the membership fee is going to be. For guests it is always going to be free. You only have to buy your own drinks and lunch :)

So see you tomorrow maybe?

Posted

Typical reasons for joining a public speaking club:

• I would rather die than speak in public
  • I adore speaking in public
  • I want to get better and stop being so nervous
  • I have to be a best man
  • I have to give a presentation at work in a month and want to learn everything I can beforehand

Posted

I really would like to go - sundays can be a bit tricky for me now, I will try to swing it soon though.

Posted

Hi DDBug,

There is another public speaking club that meets on Wednesday evenings. I used to be a member of this club until I got too busy with work and couldn't make it to their meetings any more. It's a friendly and well-run club. If Wednesday evenings suit you better, you might want to check it out. Here is the link to their club home page with further details: Munich Prostmasters

Posted

It's worth making time for it though. I'm a lot more comfortable now about giving presentations/trainings at work even at short notice which really used to stress me out in the past. I also learned techniques to make presentations more lively and interesting.

Posted

i realise how much i need something like this. i've always worked in a support function and you tend to blend right in with the wallpaper. its one of the reservations people have of me during an interview.

Posted

I'm also one of the quieter types. Having to speak in front of a group used to terrify me and I used to be also very nervous about job interviews. Lately I have begun to overcome this nervousness and this has opened up new opportunities for me not only in my professional life, but also in my private life.

Currently our meetings are attended by 8-12 people, so it is not too difficult, even if someone has very little or no experience in public speaking. Guests are not required to speak unless they wish to do so.

Posted

I see there are several of these Toastmaster affiliated clubs in Munich in German, English, and mixed-language from the website. Do the dues allow you attend any of them, and maybe switch around?

Posted

Hi Kat,

You can visit any Toastmasters club in Munich and around the world as a guest free of charge (with the exception of company Toastmasters clubs where being an employee is often a requirement to attend meetings). Guests can participate in the meetings if they wish to do so. When it comes to speaking slots, most Toastmasters clubs tend to give priority to their own members rather than members of another club, however this is handled by each club a little differently. I would expect that smaller clubs generally are more flexible. Larger clubs often face the problem that their speaking slots are booked weeks in advance.

Posted

Hi Everyone who enoy sharing time while eating:)

As I have never joined this meetings could anyone let me know when exactly is the meeting and what is the address for the 9th of september

many thanx

CU

papuga

Posted

Hi Papuga,

The meeting starts at 11:00 a.m. Attendees normally arrive a few minutes early. We meet at the restaurant "Marktwirt, Heiliggeiststraße 2, 80331 München, which is near Marienplatz. It can very easily be reached by public transport.

CU tomorrow?

Posted

Please note that there has been a venue change. We now meet at Peters which is on Nymphenburger Straße 21. The place is very close to the subway station Stiglmaierplatz.

Posted

Ive always wanted to join the toastmasters in NYC (where i am currently living . Will be in Munich Mid Dec Visiting my boyfriend who lives in Munich. ... When are the meetings in December? Can I attend a meeting..?

Thanks!

Gerie

Posted

Hi Gerie,

Guests are very important to us and always welcome! Btw, you will not have to participate in our meeting unless you really wish to do so.

The Effective Communicators have only one meeting in December, which is on the 9th. For an overview of all clubs in Munich and their respective meeting times and locations, please visit the Munich Toastmasters homepage.

See you soon!

Posted

Just a quick reminder that our next meeting will take place this coming Sunday...

We already have two speakers (their speech topics are still unknown though) and we probably will have a short debate instead of our regular Table Topics.

Guests are very welcome.

Posted

Hello, does I get it right?

Public speaking practice - lunch events, Next meeting: Sunday 25.May.2008 @ Peters

will take place?

ciao, fra

http://www.peters-muenchen.de/

Posted

Yes, our meeting will take place tomorrow. Guests are as always very welcome!

Posted

Hello everyone

I am new to Toytown Munich and just saw the listing for the "Public speaking practice - lunch events", but noticed that the last meeting was on September, 14th.

Please can you let me know when the next meeting will be and how I could go about participating. I have always been nervous about public speaking and would love to overcome my fear.

Thankyou

Kilt

Posted

Hi Kilt,

Almost everybody I met is - in at least some situations - nervous about public speaking. It is therefore a good idea to practice regularly, that way you lose your nervousness and you can fully concentrate on interacting with your listeners.

Our meetings are structured in a way as to ensure that every club member gets the chance to speak at every club meeting however briefly. Guests are not expected to participate.

New members typically start out by taking on smaller meeting roles such as grammarian, ah counter, timer etc and can also sign up to give speeches of no more than 7 minutes, which they prepare in advance. These speeches are based on the Toastmasters "Competent Communicator" manual which provides guidance to the speaker on how to effectively structure a speech, how to use vocal variety, body language, visual aids, different types of presentations ect. After some time people feel comfortable to take on larger meeting roles such as e.g. acting as the emcee of the meeting. Everybody progresses at their own pace.

Guests are always very welcome to attend our meetings, including guests who say that they will never give a speech themselves anywhere ever (this maybe doesn't apply to you). We respect this and will not try to talk you into anything. Just by watching the presentations of others one can learn a thing or two, though, and you therefore might still find it interesting to attend.

We meet regularly twice a month. Our next meeting is on October, 26th at the Bayerische Krebsgesellschaft. This time it will not take place at the restaurant - the setting will be a little more formal as we will be using a conference room. The address is Nymphenburger Str. 21a, close to the subway station "Stiglmaierplatz". Walk past the restaurant "Peters" on your left into the courtyard, the Bayerische Krebsgesellschaft is in the building on your right, next to the Wall Street Institute.

See you next week, maybe? :)

Posted

Our next meeting will take place this Sunday at 11 a.m at Peters

Guests are very welcome! (Don't worry, you will not be expected to give a speech). :)