Thursday drinks - 10.Sep.2015 @ 8pm TBD

199 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Every Thursday evening English-speaking readers of this chat forum meet up for drinks, chat, and a laugh at some bar or pub in Berlin.

Event details:

• The venue varies from week to week, check the discussion below, and title of this page above, for latest info (see venue history)
  • The number of attendees also varies, but usually around twenty people join each week
  • Everyone is encouraged to post up a message if they intend to come
  • Newcomers are always welcome. Introduce yourself online here so that others know to expect you on the evening

Every Sunday at midnight all the chat from previous weeks is automatically moved to the discussion archive. See also the photo sets: one, two, three.

Posted

Let's take care of the FAQs all at once...

Hi, I'm new here and would like to join you! Is this meetup still happening?

Yes, the meeting takes place every Thursday, rain or shine, unless it falls on a major holiday - but often even then.

Where is this week's meeting?

If it doesn't say so in the thread subtitle, it hasn't been decided yet. Voting takes place in this thread Monday through Wednesday and the venue is posted in the thread subtitle by Thursday morning at the latest (often earlier).

What time do you usually meet up?

Most people get there between 8-9pm. Some arrive as late as 11. If it's your first time, it's probably easier to arrive after 8:30 (closer to 9:00) - it'll make it easier to find the group.

How do I find the group?

Look for the loud group of English-speaking people. It also helps to look at the profile pictures of people posting in this thread so you know who to look for.

How many people show up?

Anywhere between 5-50 depending on the time of year, etc. Usually it's around 20-30 people though.

How late do you stay out?

Some people go home as early as 9 or 10pm, others stay out as late as 7am sometimes!

How old are the people who go?

Most people are in their 20s and 30s, but everyone is welcome!

Where are the people from that go?

Most people are from English-speaking countries (UK, U.S., Canada, South Africa, Australia, etc.) but a good percentage have English as their second language.

I'm too shy to just show up at a bar without knowing anyone. Should I go?

All of us have gone through the awkwardness of attending our first TT event, so we'll all be welcoming once we know who you are.

Should I open a tab at the bar or pay as I go?

For simple reasons of keeping things organized and peaceful, it's best to pay for your drinks as you go along. That way nobody is stuck at the end of the evening with a tab full of drinks they didn't consume and the bar staff and patrons alike are happy.

That should cover it.

Posted

I had a nice first Toytown event, thanks! I met some lovely people, though unfortunately just when I wanted to say goodbye, as I turned around to get my coat, they'd suddenly left. So Berlin-New York couple: it was lovely to meet you. Until next time!

Posted

I'm moving to Berlin June 3rd. Will there be an event on June 4th? I'd love to attend. 22 y/o from Manchester England. :)

Posted

Hi Guys,

this week I am going to suggest O.B.E. at Bevernstrasse 5 , 10977, Berlin. We have been there before and it has always been good.

It has smoking and non smoking rooms and a nice bar area with some good mingling space. It is easy to get to as it is right next to Schlesisches Tor U bahn. Expect to see people with strange haircuts and plenty of tatoos and studs. The beer is cheap as well. One of our liviest bars. Do not expect a quiet night.

Posted

I'm down! Just arrived here in Berlin about a week ago from New York. This sounds like a great time.

Posted

O.B.E.: colincostello(a.k.a. liviestcolin),Philbot

Posted

Time to call the vote. Tomorrow we will meet at O.B.E whcih can be found at Bevernstrasse 5, 10977 Berlin.

I will be at the bar form 8 pm. I will be wearing cream trousers and an ornage polo shirt. My fashion adviser is away this week.

Posted (edited)

Where shall we meet tomorrow?

Could a regular suggest someplace...

...and edit the title

Posted

Van Gogh Piano- u. Cocktailbar

Schiffbauerdamm 6
10117 Berlin

Nearest stop is Orienburger Tor. Loads of other places nearby too. 

Sound good?

Posted

Van Gogh sounds good to me. I'll be there, see you later

Posted

Can you edit topics with this new layout? I don't see it. Either way, if it wasn't obvious, we're meeting at 

Van Gogh Piano- u. Cocktailbar

Schiffbauerdamm 6

I'm not sure when I'll be there. Will anyone be there early-ish with a particular article of clothing or anything so that people can find the group?

Posted

I won't be there till 9/9:30 but I'll be the one in bright red lipstick (if that helps)... 

Posted

I'll probably be there around 8:30 looking like that avatar on the left. Without lipstick for me this week, but probably in a black hoodie unless it is too hot.