Amusing signs

71 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

I have just been tucking into a box of Jaffa cakes (with my 2 sons might I add) I had purchased while in the UK a few weeks ago, and being bored while eating them, I was reading the box.

I gave out a little chuckle of laughter to read Warning: inserts may form small parts

Has anyone else got one to add? :D

Posted

Another that always makes me laugh is on a packet of peanuts is

Warning: may contain nuts

Posted

the packet of strepsils in front of me says: "if you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed, do not use this product"

duh. :blink:

Posted

The Benadryl allergy tablet package says "may cause extreme excitability in children". No warning for the adults but I've learned not to take it unless I'd like to spend a day bouncing off the wall :lol:

Posted

That'd be a neat trick. There are indeed warnings on Benadryl and other diphenhydramine packets: the stuff causes light to severe drowsiness in adults. It was originally developed as an antihistamine and is one of the best. Drowsiness is a side effect and they recertified the stuff as a sleep aid.

It also increases the effects of certain families of narcotics by 10-25%.

Oh, and I'd hardly call Benadryl a "food".

woof.

Posted

Benadryl does cause the opposite reaction in certain people BD. I know it knocks me out though.

Posted

As far as I know the most common effect of benadryl is drowsiness. As BD said, some times it is even taken as a mild sleeping medicine.

Posted

A quick Google search will show you that you can learn something this evening. ;)

Posted

hmm, I went and did my homework. Ok, a very fast homework, and found several side effects from benadryl that I didn't know before, but none of them related to an increase in activity or hyperactivity. I've taken allergy medication almost during my whole life and the experience that I have with benadryl is that it makes you sleepy. It may have different effects in some other people, but I haven't heard of it before.

Posted

Try typing benadryl & hyperactivity and see what you find. I agree, it knocks me out cold, but it's not that way with everyone and most definitely not with kids.

Posted

Showem: in children, yes. Many drugs function differently or even oppositely in children. Ritalin is a good example.

woof.

Posted

Showem. You wanted an example from someone regarding topics that start off OK then just wander off ona tangent? You are in one

Posted

Like BD said, alot of meds have adverse reactions on the other 'target' group. I was prescribed Barbituates as a teenager, and I didn't sleep for a week, has to do with the metabolisms and the way the liver breaks down the meds.

I love taking cough syrups once in awhile to help me sleep, :unsure:

Posted

Thanks Crawlie. I'd hardly call this thread a "goldmine of information" though. :lol:

It must be Friday evening, I'm using smileys.

Posted

@crawlie

maybe, but this is not a topic of particular historical importance for anyone who comes to munich and tries to find information about the city. That was the original context in the more moderation thread.

Posted

Thanks Crawlie. I'd hardly call this thread a "goldmine of information" though.

It must be Friday evening, I'm using smileys.

Ooh I dunno. I am sure there are people out there who collect funny food warnings. Jay Leno for a start... ;)

maybe, but this is not a topic of particular historical importance for anyone who comes to munich and tries to find information about the city

I always find that travel guides work for me

Posted

Just to get back on topic...

On a Nytol sleep remedie bottle Warning: may cause drowsiness

Posted

Well, this wasn't about the food, but read this on a Stouffer's Package, in the instructions it said-

'use oven mitts to take casserol dish out of oven, as dish will be hot' I laughed so hard when I read that... duh, you cooked it at 350 for 30 min, of course the dish will be hot! :rolleyes:

Posted

Many things have the opposite effect on pre-pubescent kids.

Back on topic, Pop Tarts box's state: "Warning, filling may become hot when heated" or some such duh stupidity.

Posted

Well, this wasn't about the food, but read this on a Stouffer's Package, in the instructions it said-

'use oven mitts to take casserol dish out of oven, as dish will be hot' I laughed so hard when I read that... duh, you cooked it at 350 for 30 min, of course the dish will be hot!

Those kind of instructions make me laugh as well. But I think it's all down to the sueing culture as no doubt someone would take it out without oven mitts and sue the company as it didn't say they couldn't :blink: .

There's loads like that I can recall. There's a chainsaw one that states in the instructions "do not attempt to stop the chainsaw with your hands". duh!! :lol:

Posted

Slightly off the topic...

But, I remember once buying a microwave oven, with the instructions not to dry your cat in it! :rolleyes:

Posted

I bought a packet of sea salt in the UK only to discover it has a best before date on it. WTF?

Posted

On Boots childrens cough medicine -

Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication

OMG :lol:

Posted

Perhaps they sell it in China and India as well! :ph34r: