Selling a right-hand drive car in Germany

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm thinking of selling my RHD Fiat Punto, though I'm a bit concerned I won't be able to sell it on because it's RHD.

Has anyone had experience of this, have you sold one or part exchanged one. Is part exchanging a possibility over here?

I know I should probably get off my behind and go to a couple of car places but thought I'd test the water here first.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. It's currently registered here.

Posted

You'll probably be able to sell it, but you will get 30-50% under accepted LHD valuation, assuming it is street legal (TÜV) here. Insurance is higher, so whoever buys it will be looking for a serious bargain to take it off you. You might get a better deal from someone heading back to Blighty (or Japan) who can use it there, but they too won't expect to pay best price as they are clearly taking a problem child off your hands...

Posted

what are the details? how much are you looking to get for it?

Posted

I just left my RHD mean machine on the street and let the govt/street kids take care of it. I couldn't even give it away.

Posted

Remember how this board is wider than just Munich now, so there will be people from the Forces area (BFG) reading this. They might want a RHD !!

Posted

Hi,

This thread is quite old, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways, maybe someone is still watching it. I'm trying to sell my right hand drive car in Germany as I'm planning to stay on longer that I had expected. And I found your post about buying a RHD here. Well, I have a Volkswagen Golf IV Highline (2003, 25,000 Miles) which I'm selling. I was wondering if you knew of any contacts who may be interested or maybe resources in Germany which I could use to sell it on. I'm hoping to sell it on to and English or Irish ex pat who is heading home. That would mean a very good deal for someone who doesn't have to pay import duty due to transfer of residence.

Thanks in advance for your help. Max

Posted

Hi Max

What price are you looking for? Going back to England for 6 months and need a car there so please give more info.

Thanks

Posted

In the early posting, someone said a RHD drive car is more to insure, but my German friend from Berlin enquired about the ins cost of a RHD Beetle/Kaefer, she was told the ins was the same...I asked her to look into the cost of my RHD Brit BMW, the guy she spoke to wanted sooooo much info about my car, that i didnt have handy (so never got a quote) here i just say the stuff about me, year and spec of car and value, they wanted to know the chassis # etc etc

Posted

This reminds me of when I moved to Germany following several years of commuting.

Caught on ze wrong foot I'd got a just-over 1yr old Renault 5...

The car was unsellable here (was an automatic & rusting...)

Drove for some years and for when I bought a Golf (Mk II) I passed the R5

onto my wife who drove it for a couple of years until we scrapped it.

We used to call it "PERKY" - because it pinked...

Posted

German insurance is very specific about the car detail, because here it is easy. Every car has a manufacturer code and model code. With these two numbers the exact variant of a range is specified and can be identified for insurance purpose. If you can't supply that code (as you don't have it on any UK paperwork) they will ask LOTS of questions, in order to map your car onto a German code. In most case date of manufacture, engine size, power-output (horsepower or KW) and sometimes model (trim) variant will give you enough detail to work out the codes yourself, at least for the purposes of a quote from different insurers. If/when you bring your car to Germany and it is awarded with a TÜV you'll be given the specific codes for your car, as they are essentially TÜV generated and approved. The problem you may have is that some exported variants of German cars are different to those here, so the mapping may only be approximate. BMW is a good example, as they group add-ons that are individually orderable here into packages for the UK market to make the selection simpler.

Posted

Ey up Yorkshire lad. ta, i was wondering what my friend was on about, she obiously knew the German words but couldnt translate for me...

I have 2 old BMW's here in Sheffield, a very nice black 520i 92 (off ebay dirt cheap) which i want to take to Germany in the summer, and a red 96 touring (estate) 525i which i bought a few days before i was due to drive to Germany last Sept (again off ebay) it had 270,000 miles but fsh, i did me all over German into Poland, about 3000miles in 2 weeks and never missed a beat, but its just not good looking or sporty compared to the must slower 520i. It seem other people have said, change the registerd owner of the car from me, to say my mom and just insure and MOT here as normal and keep the English reg. I never got stopped, but sometimes at the German/Polish border (sometimes within 20 min) the border cops wanted to see the MOT, Ins and that it was legal etc ok i took the log book as it was my car. They knew i was nipping over the border for cheap baccy and fags but no problem. BTW where in Yorkshire you from? Me Sheffield...blue n white!

Posted

Hallo everyone, I know everyone has already discussed this topic a while ago but I was wondering how to sell an english right hand drive vauxhall in Germany or rather back to England from here without it being a hassle. My husband bought his car whilst in the military and now it is registered in Germany so no UK dealer will accept it without DVLA tax disc and MOT though it still has TÜV on it. Really complicated situation as we are looking at paying out the finance with the price. The finance in pounds while wages in € is a really bad idea lol. Can´t afford to register it over in the UK either so really stuck. Any ideas? Even the BFG garages won´t buy with German registration and all. :(

BTW it is a Vauxhall Astra gti 2009 special edition of which according to Eastbourne motors only 50 were produced specially for the British Forces. It is a sports modell so rather unpractical for every day family life.

Posted

I doubt that's true that no UK dealer would accept it - it's just some extra paperwork for them to change it back to a UK registration (oh, and some expense to change the headlights). They'll take it for the right price. I just sold mine here, but for about 20% less than I might have got for the equivalent LHD. Then again, if I'd driven it back to the UK, prices would be at least that much lower there anyway...

Posted

hey Deadsoul, did you sell it to a dealer or was it private?

Posted

@blacklab,

I think you'd have more chance of an answer from Deadsoul if you use the message button below the post (as that post's about 6 weeks old). Btw, having been in the motor trade in both countries for several decades, I'd say Deadsoul was right about the market value here for a RHD being around 20% below what it might reach in the UK. Around the same % discount would be about right for a left-hooker in the UK too. Unusually rare, or sought after, models can prove to be exceptions, but I don't think your car is likely to fall in those categories.

You might like to try a search on www.ebay motors.com (or .de) and www.autoscout24.de to see if any comparable cars are being offered under Rechtslenker/ Rechtslenkung/Englische/Britische. There are usually quite a few RHD models dotted around Germany on those sites which might give you some clues.

2B

Posted

I sold it privately.

@2B Actually, I meant that I sold it for 20% lower than an identical LHD here. Used cars seem to be very much cheaper in the UK at the moment, so that if I'd taken it back there, I'd have got even less for it.

Posted

I'm with Deadsoul on this - UK used car prices are very low compared to anywhere else. Sell at a discount in Europe or sell in the UK for a non discounted but low price = the same difference more or less, the more crucial factor is where you want to be once you've sold it, otherwise you have to factor in the cost of flights etc as well.

I need to buy a car, at the moment I'm thinking to buy RHD in the UK to save a few bob as I have stuff in storage I need to get to Germany anyway.

I always thought LHD cars were cheaper in the UK but nowadays they appear to fetch a premium.

If a car like like that astra is something special, I'm sure it's special everywhere, but "special edition" doesn't necessarily mean special.

Posted

Hi,

I have a right handed wheel Nissan Note and would like to sell it. I exported it last year from UK and driving it since then in Germany. To get TUV I had to changed the front lights (costs around 500 Euros). Now it got TUV till next year. The car is 4 years old and run only 19K Miles. If you are interested I am happy to discuss the price with you. Please contact me directly using ahmet.aker@uni-dortmund.de.

Also you could take the car again back to UK. For this I will give the old lights for free. Last point, I got winter + summer tires. Both will be included in the price.

The reason I am selling the car is that I am leaving Germany for Qatar.

Thanks,

Ahmet