Fines for double parking

14 posts in this topic

Posted

HI all,

I would like to know if anybody knows anything on the following matter:

can someone be sued for leaving their car parked in second row (i.e. close to a car already parked on the side of the street regularly)?

can this be done if the driver of the car regularly parked wished to exit and in the attempt allegedly damages his own car, but not the other one?

if so, what damages can he claim since my friend's car parked in second row was untouched (i.e. the driver of the car parked regularly could have damaged his vehicle in any other occasion not involving the car in second row)?

What does the StVO say? What does the law say?

Should the (supposedly) obstructed driver call the police instead and have my friend simply fined and his car removed - can he claim anything at all? (BTW this whole episode was 5 minutes long - my friend was off for an urgent pee!...it was not 30 mins long or more)

I am asking this because a third party who watched the "event" said to my friend that the driver who (allegedly) damaged his car, getting out, noted down my friend's license plate number and said he would send him a letter from a lawyer claiming damages (at least this was understood - they guy spoke with thick bayerisch accent...)

If it wasn't for this guy telling my friend, we would never know what exactly happened - the only difference my friend saw when coming back after only 5 minutes leaving his car in second row, was that there was another car parked in its place!

Thanks for your help. We find this whole thing quite absurd and unreasonable. My friend could certainly pay a fine for parking the car not properly, but to claim damages to the owner of a car parked and standing still - that is a bit too much, don't you think? BTW this happened at Munich's airport - there were other cars parked in second row...many more...

Ciao,

P-

BTW: can anybody simply write down the license plate number of a car and get the name and address of its owner? is there any privacy law for this? is it regulated?

Posted

I find it interesting that you seem to think your friend has no responsibilty for being in the wrong.

It doesn't matter if your friend was gone for 5 minutes or five hours...how was the other driver to know?

Your friend parked illegally, and I assume didn't leave a note on the other cars windshield (which would have been appreciated I'm sure) stating he would be right back.

I have been boxed in by cars, and it is unbelievably frustrating.

How about some consideration that the person had to get somewhere.

Though I doubt the person will be able to collect w/o having called the police and/or taking photos.

Posted

Gemini, the only wrong my friend did was to park in second row, no doubt about that - he should be fined for it, that is OK - I am not arguing on this or defending him (and that is not the purpose of the post). BTW: my friend could have been sick inside the airport terminal or something else - to assume that he was necessarily minding his own business, that is something that would have need to be proved. And it was an airport terminal were cars come and go, not some deserted street downtown. The driver could even have asked the service at the airport to call the driver on the loudspeakers - he had the license plate number - they do this in supermakets and stores continuously: nobody damages his car to get out just because he cannot find the driver boxing him!!!

What I find unreasonable and ask if the law says anything about it, is how can somebody ask for damages that he did himself on his own car and on his own accord, just trying to get out before calling the police to get the car removed and making absolutely sure the other driver could not be found.

IMO in this case damaging one own's car is only the driver's fault, and it has nothing to do with a car parked in a second row. Unless the other driver who wanted to leave was in a life threatening situation (in which case he should have called the police, ambulance, etc.), involving a lawyer (if he ever will) to sue my friend for damages he did himself to his own car, that I find a bit over the line and a poor effort to try to exploit for one own's benefit other people failrures/mistakes. BTW: who says that the other driver did damages to his car in another situation/another place and is using this situation to pay for them? plus, why did he not leave his generalities on a piece of paper on my friend's windshield?

Posted

And it was an airport terminal were cars come and go, not some deserted street downtown.

Then he should be arrested for leaving a car unattended that could have been carrying a bomb. I would have had his car towed and put this on his windshield.

post-534-1152969947_thumb.jpg

Posted

Look, if you want to double park don't do it in Germany. Go to Italy where its perfectly acceptable

DSC02517.jpg

Posted

It is not true that Germans are the only freaks who follow nothing but the rules and don't double park -- if you have kids or live next to a Kita you might see those double-parking maniacs twice a day! It is not why your friend is judged here. I believe many people in this forum double park sometimes for different reasons, I also believe that many of us have the experience of being blocked sometimes. Normally we feel really relieved after finally run to our car to see there are no scratches as we all know how upset people can get in that situation, especially when they're in a hurry -- I almost missed a flight because of that, you think about it!

The reason why your friend is judged here is really because it doesn't seem like he feels he sort of deserves some punishment.

Ok now bias aside, I'm going to tell you what happened to us in one of the neighboring countries, and I'll let you decide if you need to worry about that lawyer's letter coming at all or if the law sue is likely going to happen. It's not double parking, but there are similarities in both my and your case.

We were about to park on a small street, before we did a lady got into her car that was right next to that spot. She reversed her car almost immediately and fast even if we were waiting near behind her, and she moved in such a sharp angle that we needed to warn her with the horn. She ignored (or didn't hear it) and kept movuing her car backward, we had no choice but reverse accordingly otherwise she's crash our car badly, until we crashed our car on a tree behind us. She left, I noted her license plate, called the police.

I had nothing but license plate number. No eye witness, no photo, no video.

The police arrived to tell us that this can be bad for us: legally they were sent to an accident scene where we provided non sufficient evendence against another person, his note and report from this scene will most likely lead to a case against us: deliberate frameup. The officers understood our situation, admitting it was bothering as they got it a lot in life themselves, so they suggested that we either find someone who was willing to be the eyewitness of this event, or we could call the hot line again and tell them that that lady has return to the scene and it's all alright not, and ask them to to abort the mission. They'd return to their station, and we have never met.

So, in you story, did that seemly to be bayerisch guy agree to be that driver's eye witness and had left his phone number? Die that driver take a picture or only noted your friend's licence plate?

Our how about this, did you have an insurance for this matter?

If your friend eventually won't get a letter from that guy's lawyer, I hope he will not only feel relived, but also genuinly sorry for that driver's car and money or the plane he'd missed.

@Hutcho: That's very funny, Italy! :)But I don't think I'd choose Italy to do that as people are more "expressive" there, they might act wilder when they truely get angry. Generally it's safer I agree, but risks are higher.

Posted

Editor Bob must have built the time machine. The rumor is true. Welcome back piano neck ties, and parachute pants.

Posted

No let 'em! It's funny people digging up old threads and arguing. Especially when they get angry! Sort of reminds me of Father Jack waking up.

Posted

Wondering how it got to my forum front page... yes funny. sorry guys.

Posted

That's the magic of TT. :)

You may have just broken a TT record, that was almost 6.5 years since the last post.

Posted

I checked again, it only happend when I login from my phone.

Oh well, at least I've put some smiles on strangers' faces, that should count for 10 good karma points!

Posted

Editor Bob moves in mysterious ways.