Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finance jobs in Munich - where to look for work

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Could anyone suggest recruitment agencies, companies etc... that currently have vacancies within the finance industry...

Should be English speaking and Munich based.

Thanks

Posted

It's very tough in Munich in the finance industry. I couldn't find anything here, I was always told to go to Frankfurt. A mate of mine who lives in Frankfurt and is a headhunter for financial services says it's like pushing shit up hill with chopsticks getting a fluent german speaking foreigner into financial roles in Munich, so I'd imagine dong the same but in an english speaking role would be like pushing shit up hill with pins or somesuch.

Posted

what kind of job you looking for, satish?

do you actually want a finance job (accounting/controlling/etc) or a job in the finance sector?

Posted

Looking for a job within the finance sector I guess...

Bit of background info would perhaps help here:

Girfriend is currently living and working in London for a loan company looking after their accounts, customers, forecasts, sales, etc...

She's looking to move over to Munich, and finding a job out here, so wants to get an idea of what is available here with no German knowledge...

Perhaps a few people have been through similar experiences, and could offer some tips, advice, stories... :-)

Cheers!

Posted

Sorry mate, there are jobs available here for people with no German skills at all, but you really need to be more specific about what she can do and what she wants to do. You're asking for info in far too broad a way.

Try doing a search on some of the following websites. You will need German for some of them.

www.jobserve.com

www.jobpilot.de

www.gulp.de

www.monster.de

Most of those are geared towards IT, but they also list lots of other stuff.

Also, do searches on this site using keywords such as finance, employment, jobs, etc, etc until your fingers start to go numb. Then wait a while and do it again. There is a wealth of information freely available on here with regards to most aspects of job hunting.

Posted

the same question as my friend and I (partially). He was a chief accountant with CPA certificate in his country, but his job-hunting hasn't worked out till now due to the missing German knowledge.

Surely higher working skills may require lower language level...maybe English as a native language is an asset or advantage for your gf. As I've searched for the several days, the big four auditing accounting offices are looking for new employees recently. You can take a look at their homepages, google search with key words, KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers etc.

Good luck to us all. :rolleyes:

Posted

Surely higher working skills may require lower language level...maybe English as a native language is an asset or advantage for your gf.

Jibber-Jabber scanners set to maximum.

Posted

something wrong with my expression? I mean, for instance, many of the TTers are working in the IT field and they can't speak German very well, but they can do excellent jobs in programming etc. Pls make correction if I'm wrong.

Advices are more appreciated than pure teasing. :rolleyes:

Posted

To KD (alias kid), I don't think teasing is your hobby.

Posted

Advices are more appreciated than pure teasing.

Advice is appreciated more than pure teasing...and even that doesn't sound the best. You are probably correct with the sentiment though, but teasing is a lot more fun for me and we have to take a step back for a second and ask who I care more about, you or me.

It's a trade-off between trying to be somewhat helpful and taking the piss. I gave a couple of suggestions and a few potentially useful links. On my personal scales of justice that gives me some leeway for urine extraction.

Posted

you might be a little too optimistic in thinking that little/no German is ok if you are good enough at your job ... there are lots of fluent German speakers with very good to fluent English to compete against, I think that's the point.

shouldn't stop you trying, but it could be that there's simply not enough jobs available in the area you want, and fluent German could be much more important for this area than in IT, for example.

I think you can get away without speaking the local language in some countries when applying for a job, but in Germany it seems to often (not always) be a prerequesite. Even if you get your foot in the door of a supposedly English-speaking organisation, the pressure is immediately on for you to become fluent in German. Having said all that, I don't know about the financial sector and for your sake hope I'm wrong ... good luck

Posted

agree with you, dreamer.

KiD, behave!

Posted

As others have said you have to be careful what you mean by Finance. For those in the Financial Industry that means Investment Banking not even Retail Banking. But those like Accountants and Controllers it will mean in any firm doing a financial job.

After seeing what happened in Frankfurt after the end of the Dotcom boom, I would say you will find it hard without German. Investment Banks are the most international in terms of using English. But since Frankfurt is not going to take over from London as Europe's Financial centre and there are loads of good Germans who can speak excellent English, I've seen loads of expat move on either back to London or even Zurich. So if you mean the Financial Industry (Banking) then Frankfurt is better or Zurich. If you mean Insurance there are a few in Munich but I can imagine they are very conservative and service German clients. If you mean Accountancy then I havent got a clue!

Good luck either way.

Posted

Thanks for your input everyone...

@KD: I'll check out those websites

Posted

Satish, to read the German webpages, you can draw on Google translation tool,

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

just paste the link into Translate a webpage, click translate, and you will get a full-English interface.

A friend of mine told me, it works quite well. :rolleyes:

Posted

Hello all,

I was searching for info which this thread actually answers, and had to bring this to life again and see, after 6 years, what is the situation regarding this subject.

See, I am new to Munich, still don't master the German language, and am trying to find a job in the financial industry, in an asset management or quantitative analysis role, to be more specific. I have European nationality with a BSc Computer Science, MSc in Finance, and 5 years exp in asset management/quant. I have an offer in IT (English speaking job) and have till Friday to answer, but before, would like to know what chances I have of finding such a job without still mastering the German language.

I am thinking of starting in the IT company for some time, and then switch to asset management/quant if I find something in English or after I master the German with many months of practicing and find a job in German (although it could take a long time before I master the German). I don't know how wrong could it be to quit a job in so little time, say, between 6 months and a year. Or, if there are so many asset management jobs in English, maybe I should not take the offer and just find the job.

The fact is, my savings are limited and can only sustain myself for around 9 months without a job.

Cheers.

Posted

if there are so many asset management jobs in English, maybe I should not take the offer and just find the job.

Why Munich? If you are serious about asset management you should also look in Frankfurt (and of course London and Zurich). If you want to stay in Munich, take the job (or keep looking for IT positions).

Posted

The biggest (German) asset management company in Munich is moving a lot of operations to Frankfurt, where most of the asset management companies are based. However, there are still (limited) openings in Munich both in the specific company I am talking about and the general industry but lack of German language will always be a potential barrier, even though English is usually required.

My advice: take the IT job, develop your skills (both language-wise and in the broader sense), make yourself more marketable and then look for opportunities in a year or two if you want a change or the IT position isn't for you.

Posted

The biggest (German) asset management company in Munich is moving a lot of operations to Frankfurt, where most of the asset management companies are based.

Thanks for your posts.

May I know which would be such company and why are they moving to Frankfurt?

Posted

Thanks for your posts.

May I know which would be such company and why are they moving to Frankfurt?

Frankfurt is where the DAX is and where most asset management companies in Germany are based, so just consolidating different operations into one location.

Allianz, Blackrock, PIMCO and State Street are some of the biggest asset managers in Munich.