Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Knife sharpening at Kustermann while you wait

23 posts in this topic

Posted

I'll probably post this elsewhere too but Kustermann now has knife-sharpening -- 6 hours so pretty much while you wait. Other places like the Zwilling places at Stachus, Kaufingerstr., Theatinerstr. send the knives away and you get them back after two weeks. Nicely done, but two weeks without your good knife. Actually that's a good excuse reason to buy another good knife.

Posted

dunno how much Kustermann charges, but I think the other places were... 5-7 Euros or something, so I'd guess they'd be similar. I can let you know when I have my other knife done or maybe someone else will call up and ask...

Posted

or go to the auer dult and buy a wet stone for three euros and sharpen them yourselves. its great fun, i got the kitchen knife so sharp it would cut newspaper into strips. i also go tthem so sharp that i cut my finger and bleed all over. mental note. do not sharpen knives and drink beer.

Posted

You don't need to go to the Auer Dult to get a wet stone, not with the weather the way it is at the moment.

Posted

Definitely, that's why also something "whets your appetite".

Posted

How are they sharpened? With laser, steel or whetstone?

Posted

I thought it was "Whetstone"?

*yawn* whatever. at least i have one...

Posted

and a dictionary... ;-)

Posted

I have a sharpening steel and use it, but that just straightens the blade a bit -- which is indeed enough to cut up newspapers, if that's how you get your kicks -- having your knives sharpened is really having the edge ground new and much sharper.

Or taking another tack - how much do you charge, gids? Will you do it while I wait? I'd be willing to give you a try, just to see how you compare to the professionals.

Posted

An old thread, but... I have a general purpose Spyderco folder with serrations I need to get sharpened. I use it for diving, outdoors, cooking, etc.

I'm interested in the job Kustermann et al can do. Were users happy with the results???

Posted

Answer - no they (or their subbie) can't do the serrated Spyderco. They gave me a reference I will check out.

Posted

I know it's an old thread, but I guess it won't hurt to keep it up to date.

Having your knives sharpened at Kustermann costs 70 cent per centimetre blade per side (so a small 5 cm knife would cost 7 Euro).

I got two of my Global knives done today and I am very pleased with the result.

Posted

Off to Kusterman I am :)

Posted

this is a nice surprise! thanks for reposting

Posted

Can they do justice to Japanese knives?

Posted

They use a machine, and if your knife is too broad sideways it won't fit. I would take the knife along and show it to them before contracting to have it sharpened.

Tip: You are supposed to go to the main desk on the Rindermarkt level and pay there, then go to the knife place on the top floor along with the receipt.

Posted

I have a global knive set as well and I'm on my 2nd one of these as it is the best sharpener I've tried http://www.ebay.de/itm/Furi-Ozitech-Rachael-Ray-Diamond-Finger-Knife-Sharpener-/290821532979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b6506d33

Posted

or go to the auer dult and buy a wet stone for three euros and sharpen them yourselves. its great fun, i got the kitchen knife so sharp it would cut newspaper into strips. i also go tthem so sharp that i cut my finger and bleed all over. mental note. do not sharpen knives and drink beer.

I don't know about fun, but there is something satisfyingly hairy chested and self sufficient(ish) about doing it.

Posted

Any idea if they could do a decent job on a straight razor? I'm learning and seem to dull my blade every time I attempt to use it. I would be much more inclined to try it if I (didn't have a beard at the moment, and) had somewhere local I could get it sharpened rather than having it sent off to Solingen with a 2-3 week delay.

Of course, this is something I should eventually be able to do myself, since I have a strop and polishing pastes, but one step at a time...

Thanks,

GS