Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Having tonsils removed in Munich

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone had personal experience with needing/having tonsils removed while living here in Munich? I need to have mine removed - or it has been strongly advised.

Yes, I have gone to several doctors and have had several opinions and all the same. I have had antibiotics 3 times in less than a year and a further 3 or 4 infections on top of that which homeopathic means got rid of.

I can choose to not have them removed and continue with what seems like non-stop infections and also continue to live on tonsipret and salbei (as I've done for the last 2 years), but am not sure.

If you have actually had to make this decision, please tell me what you did (remove or not) and if you had them removed - which hospital and how did it go? How long were you in the hospital and how long did it take to fully recover? etc...

I am not looking for "opinions" here, but actual "experience" (as an adult, not a child). I have done a lot of research and been given many opinions, but would feel more comfortable with direct information from people living here in Munich and their experiences here.

Thanks for your help.

Posted

I never had problems then one summer 4 months of hell! They are infected, and the antibiotics were not working. So, I had them out. By Dr. Behabani (check the ENT thread for the link). He is in Arabella Park at the Sheraton, and the clinic is the 19th floor at the Sheraton.

I had no problems, even got out 2 days early- as an Adult you generally have to stay 7 days after the surgury due to risk of bleeding. I am happy I did it, my health is alot better since then. :)

Posted

Well, I didn't have mu tonsils out in Munich - i had them out 2 years ago (on the nhs back home) but wish it would have been back then!!

I went through about 2 or 3 years of infection after infection and it really gets you down after a while...eventually i got an appointment to have them removed. Everyone i know here has also stayed in approx 7 days...i was discharged after 24 hours and that was a BIG mistake!!! The wound in my throat became infected and i couldnt/didnt eat for approx 14 days - i lost about 2 stone and it took me a good 4-6 months to fully recover as my immune system was f*cked!

Anyway, since that day i havent (touch wood) had throat problems again...i used to get regular coughs and colds throughout the winter but not anymore!!

As far as I am aware you can have them cut out or lasered out...mine were cut (or should i say butchered!) so maybe that was more severe?!

Well, like i said - despite my bad experience i can only reccommend having them taken OUT!

Posted

A friend of mine had her tonsils out at the Behabani clinic about 20 years ago. When I visited her she said the care was optimal, the OP was short and sweet and the ice cream copious. She was out again after 10 days, totally recovered.

I was up for an OP there about 7 years later but didn't have it because my daughter came down with chicken pox. The most important measure was to not take any aspirin for 3 weeks beforehand to avoid the anti clotting effects.

My current eye-nose-throat doc says to keep my tonsils as long as possible; I haven't had a really bad bout for more than 10 years now.

Posted

I had mine taken out here about 4 years ago. I would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

They were taken out at the time because I was already in hospital with another problem which caused them to swell so much that they removed them rather than risk me suffocating on them in the night. I had never had any problems with them before this.

After the operation I was in constant pain and could not eat or drink for days, I lost a lot of weight. When I went back to work, people were calling me skeleton boy.

Ever since then, I have had a problem with my throat in that I want to throw up after doing heavy exercise like a big sprint on my bike.

Posted

I had my tonsils removed when I was in my early 20's and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced (apart from childbirth). I had always had problems with my tonsils but it had gotten to the point where I was sick ALL the time. I'm glad I had them removed because I hardly ever get sore throats anymore. But apparently the tissue in the back of your throat is softer when you're younger, which apparently makes having your tonsils removed not quite as bad as having them yanked as an adult.

My hospital stay was a nightmare- but that was in the States not here. I had a nurse that couldn't set an IV to save herself, which naturally put me in an extra lousy mood. I remember saying something along the lines of "Get the fuck away from me and don't even think of coming back in this room until you've pulled your head out of your ass and gotten me some really good pain killers." That's how rotten I felt. :(

Anyway, good luck. I think it's worth doing if you're having problems with your tonsils all the time.

Posted

I've been strongly advised to get my tonsils removed and I wanted to know if anyone has done so more recently in Munich? If so, please do share your experience. The ENT surgeon wants to cut them out, but I was hoping for laser since I heard the recovery time is shorter. I really want them out but I am afraid of how horrible the recovery is. Is it really that bad?

Posted

I had mine ripped out in emergency surgery because I had developed a huge abscess behind one. I was already septic and I was in surgery within minutes of walking in. It's hard to say about the recovery time in my case as I was so ill from the septicemia. But I can say without a doubt that getting them removed was the best thing that ever happened to me. I used to be sick with sore throats and tonsillitis several times a year, and basically on and off antibiotics all the time. Since having them removed 9 years ago, I have had exactly two sore throats, and neither required antibiotics. So even if the recovery was especially painful, I still would have done it. My two cents.

Posted

I had my tonsils out a few years ago at the clinic in the Arabella hotel. The HNO doctors are based at the practice on the first floor of the hotel.

HNO Arzt Arabellahaus

I would have to agree that it is not a very pleasant experience and I was disappointed to only get ice cream once during my stay, but I wish I had had the operation earlier. It has made a big difference to my health and I do not regret it at all.

Posted

I've been referred to the Belegklinik "Dr. Gärtner" , my husband wants me to go to the Arabellahaus since they are bigger, but I am already in with this one doctor and want to stay put. My turbinates are going to be reduced also. Anyone experienced the Dr. Gartner klinik?http://www.gaertnerklinik.de/

Posted

I'm not sure what this 7 day stay in hospital is all about but when I had mine done (albeit in the UK, I was 26 at the time) I was out the following afternoon. It was the first time I'd gone private for anything and was able to eat a full fry up the morning after. I thought it all seemed a doddle but was warned it would be worse a few days afterwards. They were right, I went back on day 3 post op pretty much in tears in front of the doctor I have never experienced pain like that, combined with struggling to drink even small amounts of water and not having slept the night before I must have looked a shambles.

Doc gave me some steroids I think they were, 6 pills and told me to go home, take them, have a nap and should feel better.

Woke up 30 mins later completely buzzing out my tits and ate what seemed like the entire contents of my parents' fridge. Felt a bit rough the next morning but was definitely over the worst and back to eating small meals.

Probably had infections 2-4 times a year for maybe 7 years, it was horrendous, had impacted on uni/sports and was starting to impact on my job and I missed a lot of work. I wish I had done it years before and can honestly say it was well worth the pain at the time to have been (touch wood) free of any throat pain since.

Good luck, but don't underestimate just how shit you will feel for a short time afterwards.

Posted

I am also booked in at the gärtnerklinik on the 27th for my tonsils. They seem pretty nice so far, but I have only talked to them per phone. I am NOT looking forward to the OP though! Ah well, as long as they have WIFI then its all good. If not then its gonna be boring and painfull.

Posted

I hear you on the WIFI, Brennz. This place looks a little strange as a hospital, I think it is more the doctors rent it out? @ schotte, I heard the same the 3 -5th days are the worst then it gets better. I need to be home asap since I have a toddler. I am wondering what pain drugs they give you here?

Posted

Could you buy in a nanny for a few days? Nothing worse than feeling like death and having to look after a bundle of energy...

Posted

I had my tonsils burned in the ENT's office with radio frequency. It really helped although it is not perfect. It is a local procedure with no need for injections but I had to have it done 3 times. I am not sick so often, my tonsils are much smaller. I may still get them out. They burn them with some wands that use radio frequencies. Cool stuff! Not expensive either 42 Euros!

Posted

Sugarbell, so how was your experience?

I have to get my tonsils removed here, in Munich, too. Any recommendations?

Thanks!