Caught by speed camera in a foreign-registered car

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

My partner and I were visiting her parents last week (they live just outside Düsseldorf) and we drove over from the UK in my car (British plates, registered in UK, right hand drive, British driver etc) during the night.

Had just come off the A3 around 4.30 in the morning and was the only car on a pitch black country road leading into the town where the parents in law live. Never been on this road before, but the speed limit was 100 kmh. Speed limit then suddenly changed to 70 and then to 50. While I was slowing down from 80 kmh, a bloody great big flash went off and made me jump a mile! Seems like a speed camera got me. It was totally invisible in the night , no warnings, zilch.

We found out the next day this was there because there is a turning off the country road to a little area with a few shops in it, and no-one could get out of the turning during the day until reduced the speed limit on that section. At the same time they also added a camera, which my partners brother says is a well known local revenue raiser. Seems a bit harsh for 4 am in the morning in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, am I likely to hear anything about this? Does anyone know the legal position? and so on?

Thanks in advance

S.

Posted

I would very much doubt it!

I got millions of parking tickets when I had my British plates and never heard a sausage! I was also flashed by cameras as well and didn't hear anything. This was about 6 years ago though.

Posted

Hi

That was bad luck,

When i was driving my British car over here, i never used to hear anything from them, at all after i had been speeding or got parking tickets. And lets just say there should of been quite a few fines and points. This was 10 years ago though.

The only time i have heard of a British car and driver hearing anything about it, was my mate, who over the years racked up quite a few tickets and speeding fines here in Germany, and never heard a word, until one day when he decided to register his car here, then promptly got a 4000 DM fine and lost his license for 6 months.

Tony

Posted

we have recently just started driving here and I have have noticed that almost nobody keeps to the speed limit.. I asked my fellow workers why and they just laughed. Also no wonder you go a shock when you got blitzt. The streets are do dark that somtimes I can hardly see where I am going. and why are there no cats eyes?

Posted

Cats-eyes and snow ploughs in winter just don't go hand in hand. Have you tried driving with your headlamps on ??!!??

Me keeps to the speed limit most of the time, especially in areas I do not know. What your fellow workers are not telling you is thet they keep within 20km/h of a limit - under 20 will cost money, but not points. Nice colleagues...

Posted

We've been here for two years now driving a UK registered car and have been flashed about ten times most recently last week and have never heard anything, so I wouldn't worry about it.

We've also got a German registered motorhome and got 2 speeding tickets (with complimentary photos) within the first week of owning it, it only does about 60 mph flat out downhill.

Round here you've got to look out for the sneaky ones in parked cars especially inbetween the yellow signs at the beginning and end of a town,(50Km limit or possibly 30). Germany needs every pfennig it can get at the moment and these camera traps are definately on the increase, and I don't think there's any chance of them painting the fixed cameras luminous yellow like in England to give you a fair chance.

Posted

You can get a list of the fixed cameras from this site:

http://www.radarfalle.de/radarfallen/

The sneaky, mobile ones are sometimes mentioned between the News & Weather on the local German radio stations.

I was also 'flashed' many years ago with by British registered car with no fines in the post.

Not so with my current German plated car.

Posted

Would not worry. Drove an english car in Hamburg 4 3 years. Was debating about getting rid of it, decided to after having been followed home 4 a couple of days. Had probably been caught speeding once or twice, had been towed more than 10 times. I wouldn't worry.

Posted

???

Just out of interest,

Is it the same situation, when caught on camera or parking tickets in a German reg. car in the UK???

Posted

no jaygee speeding is worse than parking wrong :lol:

Posted

no jaygee speeding is worse than parking wrong

Is that Twipple Twouble, using Bully`s name? :lol:

wot I meant was... Will the fines reach me here in Germany, when caught speeding in the UK?

Posted

Is that Twipple Twouble, using Bully`s name?

wot I meant was... Will the fines reach me here in Germany, when caught speeding in the UK?

I know what you meant :lol: I suppose it is. This always reminds me the time I went to London in my car. Met up with my brother and went out for the day. Well when we got back to our cars his (UK plate) had a parking ticket mine (D plates) didnt. The traffic warden was still in the street and my brother shouted at her why my car didnt have a ticket. She peered accross and said 'not worth the hassle on a foreign car' My brother looked at his fine and had 40 pounds to pay, he went ballistic :D

Posted

The traffic warden was still in the street and my brother shouted at her why my car didnt have a ticket. She peered accross and said 'not worth the hassle on a foreign car' My brother looked at his fine and had 40 pounds to pay, he went ballistic

Could`nt she then give you an "on the spot" Fine?

Posted

Nope. Most UK fines are chased up by private companies, and the boys in Flensburg don't give out private vehicle ownership details to private companies as the Data Protection Act prevents this.

It was reported recently that 19,000 German registered cars did not pay their congestion charge dues while in London last year and the private company contracted to get the money cant do anything about it :doh:

Posted

Interestingly is the fine is for the driver not the owner. In other words when my Sister in law was driving home a few years ago and got blitzed I wrote her name and address and returned the form, that was the last I heard of it. Same with rental cars, the company forwards the name and address to the authorities and it's up to them. About half the time I get blitzed I never get a ticked, usually becuase I'm in the outside lane and the camera is on the inside lane.

Speeding fines and parking tickets are very reasonable here. Was reading in the Canada forum of Britishexpats.com about a similar situation, fine $500 or 350 euros!!! Major ouch.

Parking tickets Madrid 90 to 300 euros!!!

Parking fine Landshut 5 euros, cheaper than paying for a day ticket.

Posted

I should add that most fines in other countries are paid cash up front. No cash than a trip to the nearest ATM, no banking card than no car!

Posted

I don't think there's any chance of them painting the fixed cameras luminous yellow like in England to give you a fair chance.

The point is not to give you a fair chance by painting them in flourescent colours. The 'fair chance' is the speed limit sign or the yellow shield on entry into a built-up area! ;)

When I was in the UK, and if I ever visit these days, you can see people slamming on brakes as they approach a camera and then watch the rear of the car sit down as they floor the pedal once they are past. Does it do anything for road safety?

Posted

On the road from Dover to London, I reckon there was at least a dozen cameras on route.

But I noticed, they take a pic of your rear end! Is this true? and how do they know who was driving???

Posted

Jay. How many time have you been told to drive on the correct side of the road !!! :ph34r:

Posted

:lol:

but seriously, the cameras was mounted for taking pics of your rump!