Self-raising flour in Germany: availability

99 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

Does anybody know where one can buy self-raising flour in Germany? I've been searching for it for years! I've been using normal flour with baking powder but somehow it's not the same.

Posted

well i have never seen it. its not a German thing, they always add baking powder as you said..

Posted

Fáilte Kerrygirl ;)

Self-raising flour is as good as unknown in Germany, the nearest you can get is ready-made Fertigkuchen mixes with the raising agents already included.

Posted

They do sell it in some of the Indian shops in Frankfurt though if you have one in your area maybe you can look there?

Posted

IN HAMBURG-EPPENDORF !

(also known as all-purpose flour with baking powder in USA)

www.british-shopping.de

I think I saw some small bags in there when they opened it last September.

If not there, then here: www.sandys-food.de

You'll also find a recipe for it, using German ingredients - with all the translations you need, on my FOOD & DRINK page on my website - it has been there since 2001. See CARD for link to website.

Have fun... let me know where to pick up what you've baked! ;)

Posted

You can by Bisquick from the US in some supermarkets (Walmart, Real I think). It's technically a baking mix, but is essentially nothing more than self-rising flour. The only way I've found to make fluffy biscuits and pancakes here.

Posted

What about wholemeal flour?

I can't seem to be able to find any decent wholemeal flour in supermarkets here ...

Any suggestions (other than buying it from foodfromhome etc.)

Posted

What's so difficult about putting in the baking powder yourself? It's not rocket science.

Jean-Pierre

Posted

Only baking powder?

1/2 cup baking powder = Backpulver

1/4 cup baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) = Natriumbikarbonat

1/4 cup salt = 1/4 Tasse Salz

5 pounds flour = 5 Pfund Mehl. A German pound is circa 500g - not British pound...

Plain white flour = Weizenmehl Typ 405

Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to flour. Using 2 large bowls, sift the mixture 3 to 4 times to evenly distribute ingredients. Store at room temperature

Yield: about 5 UK pounds.

Posted

Only baking powder?

1/2 cup baking powder = Backpulver

1/4 cup baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) = Natriumbikarbonat

1/4 cup salt = 1/4 Tasse Salz

5 pounds flour = 5 Pfund Mehl. A German pound is circa 500g - not British pound...

Plain white flour = Weizenmehl Typ 405

Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to flour. Using 2 large bowls, sift the mixture 3 to 4 times to evenly distribute ingredients. Store at room temperature

Yield: about 5 UK pounds.

I stand corrected. It is rocket science. I 'd rather spend five times as much on self-raising flour in the English Shop than go to all that trouble.

Jean-Pierre

Posted

@ Ami

The only way I've found to make fluffy biscuits and pancakes here

"fluffy biscuits" ?? :blink:

oooh, can we have the recipe please, that sounds v. interesting! :P

Posted

can one play fluffy bunnies with fluffy biscuits? :lol:

I also thought self raising flower you only had to add baking powder to the normal stuff. Live and learn

Posted

I judst use Flour type 405 and add baking powder...never had a problem with rising! So yes it is simple J-P!

Posted

@ Ami

"fluffy biscuits" ??

oooh, can we have the recipe please, that sounds v. interesting!

What you call biscuits in the UK we call cookies in the US. What we call biscuits, well, I'm not sure what you call them, but they are fluffy. I haven't seen them sold anywhere in Germany, and so I make them myself (using bisquick).

Posted

We have Löffelbisquit here. Looks a bit spoon shaped. Or is this not what you mean? They are "soft", if this is, what you mean with "fluffy"?

Posted

Ah, looking at that site you mean scones then (just without the raisens). No you can't find them this side of the channel I don't think, unless you are close to an English shop.

Posted

Ah, looking at that site you mean scones then (just without the raisens). No you can't find them this side of the channel I don't think, unless you are close to an English shop.

American biscuits are NOT scones (despite what the site says). Scones are hard and sweet. Biscuits should be soft and savory. Totally different things.

Posted

"Scones are hard and sweet"

Hmm, think your scones were a bit old ;)

Cheese scones are not sweet, in fact scones aren't actually sweet, traditional scones don't have sugar in them, the jam you put on, or the raisens you put in make them sweet.

I'm intrigued by the hard comments though, they are firm, but I would't call them hard?

In fact, I am now really intrigued by american biscuits, maybe you could send me on?

Posted

For the hundreds of us living in Celle, self-raising flour can be bought at the Asia Shop near the Feuerwehr.

Posted

Our English shop has McDougals SR flour in stock for 3.25 a big bag!

Want any sending? PM me

G

Posted

Good News or u Kerrygirl :D

I was also hunting for self raising flour and ultimately found it in TOOM Markt in Frankfurt in the Foriegn Foods section (Brand: Betty Crocker). And didnt pay much for it either. Made wonderfull pancakes with it !!!

Posted

Our English shop has McDougals SR flour in stock for 3.25 a big bag!

You can get a big bag of SR flour in the Hong Kong market (Rosenheimer Platz) for less than that. Under 2 euros if I remember correctly. It's not a british brand, although the entire packaging is in English.