Motorcycle / motorbike insurance in Germany

68 posts in this topic

Posted

I am considering bringing my moto over from the states. It is 900cc. Does anyone have an estimation on how much I should expect to pay for insurance? I have a clean driving record and all, but it appears that it does not really seem to be a benefit in Germany.

Posted

Insurance over here is pretty darned expensive. Not sure how much it is for a motorbike, but I have only liability insurance for my car and it cost me about 750 Euros for the year (and that's with a 30% no claims discount).

The important thing is that if you do have a clean driving record you can get a discount, but you must get a letter from your previous insurance company stating how many years you have driven for without an accident.

Posted

Also know that you can get seasonal insurance for your bike. Meaning if you don't ride in the winter, you can just pay for summer. The dates are obviously pre-arranged, not simply on the first day of spring you feel like going out for a cruise. Be sure to check that option out.

Posted

*Not sure how much it is for a motorbike, but I have only liability insurance for my car and it cost me about 750 Euros for the year *

Not all cars are equal. Neither are all bikes.

* Does anyone have an estimation on how much I should expect to pay for insurance?*

It depends on how powerful your toy is.

The limits are 37kW, 57kW, 72kW, over 72kW. It also depends on your previous driving record, how many accidents you had in the past. SF0 means you caused an accident less than a year ago, SF7 means you haven't had one in over 7 years. Other factors are age, state employed or not, and where you live.

On the following page you can look at the prices from one of the cheaper bike insurance agencies for liability insurance (for someone being older than 25, price for a full year, most of Bavaria is Regionalklasse 4, a.k.a. crazy and accident-prone bikers)

http://www.motorrad-direct.de/motorrad_2004_n_e_g_h.shtml

Worst case scenario for you seems to be €435.39/year. If your bike is lame and they accept your perfect driving record (unlikely) it could be as low as €39.01

* Also know that you can get seasonal insurance for your bike. Meaning if you don't ride in the winter, you can just pay for summer. *

I always pay for the whole year in advance and get the unused money back once I deregister my bike. Saves you money during scheisswetter season and you can decide if you want to hit the road again already in march or in may.

Posted

Don't forget that your US motorcycle license is not transferrable in Germany, regardless of state. You can use it to avoid the mandatory driver's education classes/road time but you will still need to re-test.

Posted

Went through this game myself already this year with my KTM 950. It has 98 bhp.

I imported the bike over from the UK, and despite the assistance of a German biking friend and my German wife it became a 2-3 month mini-saga.

Although the bike was less than 12 months old I still had to get a TUV certificate (vehicle test). Lots of chicken and egg situations where you can't get one document without another. You need to fill in a form first whereby they "search" the records to check the bike is not pre-registered or stolen - and this form once returned is only valid for a few weeks. Its typical German bureaucracy. I even had to hand in my old UK numberplate. Also because at that stage I was not registered fully with the state - the motorbike had to go into my wife's name - although I have since got myself registered.

I searched for insurance online and the best quote I had for full comprehensive was around 750 Euros - there were actually not that many insurers to choose from.

3rd party only insurance was a lot cheaper - less than 100 Euros but as my bike is almost new I wanted the fully comp.

I ended up going through a broker in Augsburg. They got my fully comp insurance down to around 380 Euros albeit with a 1,000 Euro excess (my choice - could have done 500 for slightly higher annual cost). This was with a letter from my previous UK insurer confirming 8 years no claims.

I am 38 years old, had a bike licence 21 years, and live in the sticks with a garage for the bike.

So in a nutshell:

It's a pain in the arse but my broker in Augsburg pretty much knows the system if you need some help, and 3rd party insurance is pretty damn cheap if you are happy to settle for that.

But heck - Get yourself back on the road Milehigh!!! They have some great roads and of course the Autobahns :-)

Posted

Insurance is the least of your worries. Getting it registered here is the hardest part. I know people who have given up on this one. All sorts of costs were implied from new tyres to new exhausts, even before the they applied for paperrwork...

YL6

Posted

ello..

i'm new to this so please forgive me if i ask obvious questions (here 2 weeks now).

was wondering bout the rules/prices on motorbike insurance in germany is.

had a cbr in ireland and was thinkin bout importing it but from what i've read already it seems like a lot of hassel and red-tape( plus the state its in now i doubt it pass any MOT ). so was think bout buying a newish one here,

cbr600 would be nice. i'm 22 so if anyone could give me a ballpark figure.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

ahh right...thanks

any idea how much a 95-96 cbr600/bandit 600 would cost here.

and could u point me in the direction of any motorcycle stores in munich. can't seem to find any.

would love to get a bike over here, the roads are sweet lookin (as opposed to the pothole infested dirt-tracks we have in ireland, tanks aren't built for them)

Posted

Go and have a look at Honda Motorräder, click the "Gebrauchtfahrzeuge" -link, and you can search for the prices/models from Honda dealers.

This far all the dealers spoke fairly good English here - we have bought 3 of them from here.

I just bought a Hornet 600, -98, and I paid 3700€ - I think the CBR's are a bit more expensive.

Posted

Just got a quote for a 1340cc Harley Electraglide of about €75 for 6 months...third party only... if that gives you an indication. That includes a 20% discount because I already have car insurance with the company. Am sure fully comp would be substantially more. They figure that most bike accidents only affect the bike & rider so 3rd party is quite cheap.

Posted

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone can recommend a good cheap german motorbike insurance company. Tried looking online to get quotes but its a waste of time as they want too many bike details before I have even bought it.

Am 30 and expecting to buy a jap sports 600, any ideas?? cheers :ph34r:

Posted

You can always try a "Fairsicherungsladen" which can be found in many cities in Germany. That's where I got my Haftpflichtversicherung. The people who run these insurance shops will pick the best insurance for you and they won't try to sell you anything you don't want to have. At least the shop in Dortmund is really pleasant.

Posted

Hi,

I've been here a few months now and I don't think I can resist the temptation to buy a new bike.

I'm currently in a flat that has those lifting car spaces so may need to leave it in the street until I find a new parking spot. There are a lot of bikes on the street round here so it seems pretty safe. However, my last bike got stolen in the UK whilst I was in an ambulance after a car side swipped me on a round about - so I'm a bit sensitive.

Am I crazy to contemplate leaving a bike outside in Munich, or is it generally OK?

Anybody, got any comparisons on Insurance prices between here and the UK?

Regards,

Jono

Posted

Get a proper big chain and attach to something solid. Then ideally also use a cover. Never a perfect plan but should be OK.

Oh yeah and buy a BMW if worried. No joyrider wants to nick one of those tanks.

Posted

Just got a quote for a 1340cc Harley Electraglide of about €75 for 6 months

He's asking for info about motorcycle insurance Keydeck.

Posted

I wouldn't bother importing a bike from the UK or Ireland. At the very least they'll probably make you convert the speedometer to km/h and change the light so it points to the right. And from outside the EU it's bound to be much harder.

Best bet to find a bike is at www.mobile.de. It's in German and English, and many of the dealers advertise there. Dealers are obliged by law to give a 2 year guarantee (except on damage to moving parts caused by general wear and tear). Prices at dealers are often not much more than private sales.

Alternativly try www.motoscout24.de

For new bikes, just look up the manufacturer's german website. All the main ones have a dealer locator service so you can find the dealers in Munich (or wherever).

Regarding insurance, as stated previously it's really only dependant on your location, your age and the power output of the engine. I used DA-Direkt. They offer a 50% discount (Schadenfreiheitsklasse 1/2) if you've had a car licence for more than 3 years, even if you've no NCB in Germany. For Third Party Only insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) on an 82 Bhp bike (second highest category) it cost me under €200. Most of the other online companies were quoting me around €350

Posted

Am I crazy to contemplate leaving a bike outside in Munich, or is it generally OK?

It's much safer to leave your bike on the road here than it is in the UK. No bother at all.

Posted

Yep. I have an alarm fitted for use in dens of iniquity such as the UK or Italy. Here the alarm is just a pain in the butt.

However some insurers will give you credit for not parking on the street.

Posted

56 years young - 2004 BMW R1150R - cheapest insurance (third party?) €65 - Fully comp €765! Surely I can better this? ...anyone help? Also can someone please explain the insurance classifications here - are they more or less equivalent to 'Third Party and Theft' and 'Fully Comprehensive' as in the UK? :blink:

Cheers

cruiser

Topics merged by admin