Why Germans take their kitchens with them

113 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome to Germany! When you rent an unfurnished apartment it is normal for the flat to be empty. Apart from the toilet, shower and basins. They have to remain in case of emergencies. :P

This board has alot of discussions on renting in Germany, it may be worth your while reading through them when you have a couple of spare hours!

I can sum up for you, Landlords are generally assholes and screw you at every opportunity! Enjoy!

Posted

The german take-everything-including-the-kitchen-sink has the advantage that you are then free to fit the flat out as you personally wish, rather than having to live with the previous tenant`s taste as tends to be the case in Britain. Of course, you are the one who has to pay for it all, but I guess thats fair enough.

I rented a flat in London once where the previous tenants had actually removed all the light bulbs and taken them with them!

Posted

Welcome to Germany Gingo!

I think apart from the bathroom suite (but I could be wrong) they take everything apart from the walls when they move, including the kitchen, light fittings, wall sockets and floor. :blink:

When I first moved over I thought people were joking when they told me I might need to buy a kitchen, so it turns out I was quite lucky with my apartment.

You might want to have a look through some other discussions in this forum so you are prepared for some of the other odd German habits.

Posted

When I had my first flat, there was a fully fitted kitchen. That was very lucky, because I did not have the money to buy that stuff on my own. By the way, everything was in an orange colour. :wacko:

After 10 years the whole thing was rotten, but my landlord did not want to buy new furniture and appliances. So I did it myself.

I bought floor units with light grey doors, wall units with glass doors, dark gray racks. I spent a lot of money on a MIELE oven and on a pretty and large dark gray whine and whisky rack. All handles in the kitchen were of matt-finished chrome, as was the oven door and the kitchen sink. The worktop looked like dark granite. I had to pay about 10'000 Euro, but I thought it was worthwhile. :wub:

When I moved to another flat, I took everything with me including the oven, the whine rack, all cupboards and ...yes ...even the kitchen sink. The next tenant was glad because she was the type that loved homely oak-wood kitchens and flowered table cloths.

Posted

Yeah, my flat was empty too but I was lucky. Where I work, someone was moving into a new house and wanted to get rid of the kitchen (yes, it was being left behind but only because the previous occupant had died) to put their own new kitchen in. She asked me if I wanted it and told me it was from 1980. Anyway, I went to look at it and it was practically in brand new condition and a nice colour and bright. She said she`d include all the fittings (that meant upright oven, double sink and electric hob - everything except the workbench as it was new) plus a dishwasher, fridge and upright chest freezer. I panicked and asked how much and she said, "well, I wanted 100 € for it but my husband said 99 € will do"!

Needless to say I bought it but it cost me 250 € to have it taken out and moved to my place and another 300 € to have it fitted in! And it`s electric and not gas I would have preferred but suppose it doesn`t matter so much at that price. Still, I reckon it was a bargain.

Posted

Can anybody explain the logic of taking out kitchens of a house when they move?

As if you do this why dont they take the bathrooms with them.

Strange ideas and you will never convince them otherwise.

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Cos they most likely bought them and they can be expensive and they might want it for their new home?

If you are moving out of a rented accommodation why leave it for the landlord to profit from it?

If I didn't want it and the new tenenats did I'd leave it for them as long as their contract with the landlord was unfurnished.

You can do the same in the UK if you want. Most people end up buying a new kitchen anyway, have in the 3 moves I remember.

The shitty thing is and a complaint I hear FAR MORE often is when landlords and/or departing tenents try and get you to pay over the odds for an in situ kitchen TBH.

Have you ANY threads that aren't about slagging Germany off?

Posted

i have actually heard this is more of a Bavarian thing. Although I have no real knowledge about the subject thats what I hear, maybe someone from up north couple plop in their .02$. I have actually never gotten a apartment without a kitchen. I forever thankfull for this. :)

Posted

hey i don't want to use an oven which someone else used in the past to bake who knows what in it. thats disgusting. using a previously used toilet? i do that all the time when i'm out and about, nothing gross about that.

nah just kidding. this hauling your whole kitchen (stove, oven, fridge, sink) around with you every time you move is really crazy.

but yes, there are quite a few adds for apartments with ebk (kitchen included), i would only consider those, unless i maybe really moved into a dream place where i'd want to stay for many years and i was really rich, then maybe i'd want to get a fancy professional kitchen.

Posted

Not everyone removes the kitchens when they move though, a deal is often made between old and new tenants to leave the kitchen in exchange for payment. Look in the ads, if it say the flat has an EBK it has a kitchen, so no need to moan about your new flat not having one.

For me it's not such a terrible thing, I like to have a brand new kitchen when I move flat.

Posted

This is certainly just as common up near hamburg and the same goes for here in frankfurt...but it does seem to be starting to die out, alngside the "renovate when you leave" thing...

Posted

because not everything can be explained logically...

as monkstown already explained kitchens are expensive and people select them carefully. it was (maybe still is) every german's housewife dream to get the perfect kitchen. once you have it, why leave it behind?

Posted

maybe population density is also a factor. even though many people do own nice homes here, a lot of people have to move into apartments, maybe for life. so finding a nice apartment is kind of like finding a nice house, and maybe it should have a nice kitchen that i can pick myself. but that still doesn't answer the why not the bathroom question.

Posted

I think it was a reasonable question

Re.the thread starter, take a look at his post-history!

Packing up the kitchen is not strange to everyone, that's the whole point. Am British but it's not strange to me! You won't find a clarifying answer as it's merely a matter of opinion.

Posted

I also think it's strange to take your kitchen with you or make the new tenant buy it. I realize that that's the way it works, but who started it? He should be punished.

Posted

So I hire a car and fill it with my stuff. Say my expessive luggage.

And when I end the rental contract I'm supposed to give it to the next renter?

If you want to rent a flat in Germany with a kitchen, you can do.

Posted

If you want to rent a flat in Germany with a kitchen, you can do.

But it is difficult to find. Moved to Munich at the beginning of the year and either found flats had no kitchen whatsoever (80%), something called a kitchen that somehow survived WWII (10%), a previous tenant asking for a hilarious "gratuity" (5%) or it's included in the rent (5%) if you are lucky enough to find one of those few flats and can afford the higher price. I'm not bothered myself, as that just seems to be the way it works here. I previously lived in Hamburg for 25 years and all of my flats from tiny to large always had a proper kitchen (for the same price). It's expected up there and I know what I'm talking about because I recently had to find tenants for my Hamburg flat.

Can't think of any particular reason why there is such a difference between the North and the South though.

Posted

Can anybody explain the logic of taking out kitchens of a house when they move?

As if you do this why dont they take the bathrooms with them.

Strange ideas and you will never convince them otherwise.

Topics merged by admin

Are the kitchens the same size as well?

Posted

oh, sooooo glad this thread has been revived. a chance to vent. mind you perhaps this should go in the vent too.

we moved into a house in erding last year and had to fit a new kitchen. for a 4 bedroom house it had a poxy little kitchen, so we got the landlord's permission to knock through into the 'esszimmer' (cat-swinging definitely a no-no in there). so we created a beautiful kitchen, ideal for the space which the landlord even said made it look so much better.

so, scroll forward 1 year. i finally get a job but not here, in scotland. so we need to move out. the only real prblem is the damn kitchen of course. we spent nigh on 7 grand on this thing in total and understand that of course we won't recoup the vast majority of that. however we found out last night, whilst surfing the internet that the owners are acutally selling the property... and advertising a 'gemuetliche kueche' and a 'grosse kueche'. both down to us. however they don't want to pay for it. we don't want it as we're moving back to a civilised part of the world (ie ouside bayern) where you don't drag your damn kitchen with you wherever you go.

so we don't want it. however, our landlords don't want it (or they're not prepared to say diddley squat at the moment). so we'vew offered the makler 15% of whatever he gets to sell it to the next purchasers. however, is it not a mad situation that 'you' buy a house from one person and the kitchen from their previous tenants? it is to me. of course a house sale will take longer than re-renting it, so we're just going to have to leave the kitchen in situ and hope for the best. of course the landlord also has our deposit, so can turn round in full bullshit mode and say,'well, they buyers didn't want it so we had to pay [the exact amount of your deposit} to have it removed'.

something tells me we're going to end up about 10grand down on this one and there's eff all we can do about it unless anyone here wants a beautiful 1 year old kitchen with top-spec appliances, which will fit in a 3x7m kitchen with windows o the right hand side, etc., etc., etc.

(and before some smart cnut (and i have a list in my mind of those who i expect) comes back and says in a whiny little voice,'well, you knew what to expect before you did it, etc.'. don't do it ok.)

Posted

Advertise it for sale in Kurz und fundig, or ebay or here. I bet you can sell it, people are always looking for kitchens. You won't get all your money back but you will get some.

Posted

The major issue with the whole "take your kitchen with you gig" is it works on the theory that the buggery thing will fit in your next accommodation...which of course it never will.

But I guess it only really hits the silly short-term expats. Herman the German is happy to stay in the same rented gaff for 47 years, so his one kitchen purchase will get good usage.

My mother-in-law's kitchen - and I kid you not - does not have hot running water, only cold. Explain that?

Posted

I think this forum index should be ' Exsistance in Germany' as for many of us thats what it is. and it amazes me how many Brits like and defend it all.

'Take up thy kitchen and walk'

Posted

My mother-in-law's kitchen - and I kid you not - does not have hot running water, only cold. Explain that?

She's a masochist? :D

Posted

My kitchen (and indeed the entire flat) doesn't have hot water, except where we have installed tanks to heat the water. So the kitchen sink has hot water, and the shower/bath has hot water, but we also have one of those separate WC's, where the sink only has cold.

I do wish someone had told us to look for that when we were flat shopping, though. We were aware that we would most likely have to install a kitchen, but not that there was a possibility that there would be no central hot-water heater. We were busy looking at room sizes and the balcony and what have you, not wondering where they kept the water tank.