Driving Licence Registration - not done in time

79 posts in this topic

Posted

It has just occurred to me after a number of years living here that I still have my driving licence registered to the UK address of my parents.

Does anybody know if this is valid, or legal?

It is one of the newer EU driving Licences that looks like a credit card!

cheers,

Gentleman

Posted

Its valid and legal.

;)

Posted

Well I have been told that it is legal as that is what I still have after almost five years of being here.

So I hope this is true as I don't want to chane to a German one

Posted

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a German and a British License (yes I know it's not allowed ). When I get stopped by the Germans I show the British one, and in England I show the German one. :)

Posted

German ones are quite good actually.

First, they do not expire on your 70th Birthday - they don't expire at all.

Second, you are not required to carry an endorsment paper with your german licence, unlike the UK one which is technically only valid with that silly useless piece of paper, which goes against the principle of having a card in the first place.

Its like going to a bank machine, sticking your Bank card in to it, and up pops the message "to withdraw cash, please insert a cheque, stating the amount you require, into the slot on the right-hand-side of this machine"

DOH! :doh:

Posted

WHAT!!! I am expected to carry my papers as well! OUPS (big-time)!

Do you know if this is the same for a UK (EU) driving licence here in Germany? So if the police stop me and I only have my card I can get into problems here! (Policeman takes out the rubber gloves)

Posted

Hi Gentleman

No it's not valid and but it is legal, well not in the eyes of the DVLC!

If you have changed your country of residence and have been out of the UK for more than 12 months then you have to inform Swansea and change your license to the German one. If not and Swansea find out, they will slap you with a nice fine of up to 1000GBP. They tried to do this with me but I managed to talk them out of it! ;)

Posted

By the way; Getting parking tickets or getting flashed by fixed cameras in a German registered car whilst in the UK might be ignored by the authorities (What a bonus! ;) ) but as a buddy from Munster found out not so long ago, actually get stopped by the UK Police for an offence with a foreign licence or driving a foreign car and it's a whole different ball-game:

Got stopped at 85mph on the A1.

Car impounded

Held overnight in Stamford Police cells until an appearance in the magistrates court the next morning.

No licence and no car until the fine paid.

I guess this is because if they'd let him go and sent the fixed penalty on later (you can't pay the Police at the roadside unlike in Germany) he could bugger off back to Germany and they wouldn't be able to get their cash.

You've been warned!

Posted

A friend of ours got stopped in the UK in a German car. Copper starts asking him questions and he starts talking back in German but German a la Basil Fawlty. He said the accent was so cheesy but the copper fell for it and told him using sign language to Drive slowly while motioning with his hands and shaking his head at the same time. Too fast no (shakes head) slowly (yes nodding)

We got stopped on the A1 in a US Forces registered car doing 90mph. My husband puts on his best yes officer American accent and hands over his US license and kept the UK one safely in his wallet. police weren't interested, too much paperwork involved :)

Posted

I guess it depends on the copper really - My biggest fear is being stopped, putting on the accent and finding the only English rozzer who speaks fluent German - It'd be just my luck for that to happen :wacko:

Posted

I managed to lose my UK licence about twenty years ago and had to get a new one, then some time later found the original licence again. As a result I've also got both licences. I must say, it does make life easier on occasions! :lol:

Posted

About the address on a UK license... I was worried about this and had an email exchange with DVLA on this topic. Their final answer is below - I think it is quite definitive.

Ciao

JG

===========================

Thank you for your e-mail.

Your understanding is correct.

Under the terms of the EC second directive on driving licensing it is accepted that drivers with an EC member state licence who move to another part of the EC will be driving with an incorrect address on their licence.

Regards

Miss T. Owen.

Customers Enquiries Drivers.

C1

Tel: 0870 240 009

drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk

www.dvla.gov.uk

Posted

will be driving with an incorrect address on their licence.

I'm not sure whether I would consider that definitive or not. Is an incorrect address acceptible/legal or not. I don't see a concrete decision in this explanation.

Posted

I still have my parents UK address on mine, and from what I read in the other threads the DVLA wont accept a our german addresses???

so whats this mean,,we have to change our UK licence for a german one?? and in doing so lose out UK licence? :blink:

Posted

If you live in Germany for more than a year (I believe, I'm not exactly sure of the time period) then officially you must give up your UK driving licence and take out a German one. There are no ifs and buts, and if Swansea discover it, it can cost you a painful amount of money.

There are no tests involved and it's not even particularly expensive (sorry, it's too long ago, I can't remember exactly how much), so there's really no reason not to do it.

On top of that, with a German licence you have exclusive use of the reserved parking places clearly marked with double yellow lines! :D

Posted

with a German licence you have exclusive use of the reserved parking places clearly marked with double yellow lines! 

that shall be fun! :lol:

ok, IF? I was to change license for gerry one...how long does it take, and can I still drive while waiting for the DE licence to come through?

I also cant understand why they have to take away our UK licence!

Posted

I also cant understand why they have to take away our UK licence!

Simple - to avoid the situation that after some traffic offense they confiscate your license and you blithely carry on driving and present the second license at any traffic control - not to mention reserved parking spaces in the other country! :lol:

Posted

gentleman

WHAT!!! I am expected to carry my papers as well! OUPS (big-time)!
In the UK with a UK licence you are! We discovered that only last week when Hertz in the UK refused to enter one of our group as a named driver on the rental contract 'cos he did not have his papers with his UK licence.

The German licence does not have, or require such papers.

RMA

If you live in Germany for more than a year (I believe, I'm not exactly sure of the time period) then officially you must give up your UK driving licence and take out a German one. There are no ifs and buts,

aha! :D well you did say you believe... However there are if's and buts.

if: if you are in posession of any EU licence, this is valid in any EU country until its epiry date. Then and only then are you obliged to renew it into the local licence of the EU country you reside in.

but: But what the DVLC and the address on my UK licence? You can (if you really want to change your licence into a local one but I would not really worry about it... the DVLC have no authoritve powers outside of the UK (with the exception of the fact that the licence they issued is legal outside of the UK)

Posted

wowser :o , did I understand this right? Some of you say, that actually ONE thing in Germany might be a LITTLE BIT better than in UK :o

Posted

two things actually Hannah...

Autobahn sections with no speed limit is the other only good thing about Germany :P