Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Driving licence

31 posts in this topic

Posted

hi, I live near Ulm in Bayern. Ive had my British international driving licence for over 10 years (the big green one) I recently bought a car and insured it by Allianz.

drove bf up the wall as he gave me refresher lessons(he`s no patience at all :rolleyes: and started driving

Now, Im not even sure if my Brit International licence is legal over here as I ve been residient for quite a few years. A brit was telling me he was fined cos he didnt have the new british licence?? Then I read I have to get a german licence???

Does anyone have any imformation of Driving Licences in Germany?

Posted

Normally you should apply for a German licence within 12 months, a mate of mine

who works for ESA (european Space agency) in Holland got stopped (it's only 6 months there) and his car was conficated and he was allowed to have it back ONLY when he had obtained a dutch licence.

There is normally no problem with converting a uk licence (at least I didn't experience any problems converting my uk licence a few years ago) The whole thing took about 2 weeks, best contact your local Rathaus "Führerscheinstelle" for details.

hope this helps

Neil

Posted

Thanks neil, I wasnt aware of this as when I went to auslandsamt they quickly looked at my licence and said it was ok ( even though I d been registed for a few years) and was confused when Brits over here where having problems.

Will I also get my UK Licence back after changing it to German one?

I was off for a lovely drive tomorrow...I better not bother now :(

Posted

its no problem to exchange your brit licence for a german one but if you have any other catagories on your brit licence moped,motorbike,minibus,etc,phone up the dvlc and get an official signed print out of these as the code letters for the different catagories are different and this can lead to confusion.

Posted

If you have a current valid GB driving license, you do not have to change it for a German one. The national laws about EU citizens living in Germany being required to obtain a German license were supereceded some years ago by European Law. Some German policemen believe that the German law supercedes the EU law, so they obviously have a different understanding of the Maastricht treaty :-)

However, if you have to change your driving license for any reason or you decide to do so, you must obtain one from the EU state in which you are resident (i.e. Germany). When you apply for another license you are obliged to hand in the old one and it is illegal to hold two driving licenses.

Have a look at http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/home/d...aq/index_en.htm

Ciao,

JG

Posted

Thanks everyone for replying,

I ve read all past posts of other GB driver licence holders whilst living in Gemany and there still seems to be lots of confusion.

Jq...thanks for the info, so true about the german policeman choosing to ignore the new maasticht treaty laws ,god help me if Im ever stopped by a Bavarian one! :unsure:

I m still unsure of how I stand, as my GB license has my parents address on it..(basically its my UK address but I can still be contacted there any if problems were to arise. My passport is the same ...when I applied for a new one I gave them "my" UK address)

Im returing to UK on 16th of july for a 2 week holiday..so Ill get in touch with the DVLA so see whats what.

Great forum btw...the nearest Brits to me are a good hour away...so its nice to stay sane reading this site ;)

Posted

If your license is what they call the "european model" one (which it should be if its theat fold-out green one) then you do not have to change your UK license and it does not need to have a valid address on it, if you're resident in another EU country.

These stories about problems in NL and Germany may have happened, but the police/authorities in those circumstances are definitely wrong (assuming that the people involved have the 'euro model' license and they are not banned from driving, etc.), so they should contest any legal issues arising from it.

Posted

Mine is one of those pink cards as I lost the old one - are these what everyone means by Eurpoean format - I think so oder?

It is also registered at my parents address but have always thought this was ok.

Posted

...I hope it wasn't one of these ! (look VERY carefully) :lol:

britboard

Posted

About the address being wrong...

I was worried about this as DVLA send these things out which say how you can be fined loads of money if you don't tell them about a change of address. You then have a look on their website and it says they will only take a UK address...

So, I contacted DVLA and asked them what the situation was about the change of address, now I am living in Germany.

The first response from DVLA was telling me how I could contact the local authorities about changing my license. I wrote back to say that EU law said i dodn't have to change it and what about the address issue...

DVLA then sent me a very carefully worded answer (legal English) to the effect that "it is accepted that when you retain your GB license on moving to another EU state the address will be incorrect".

The new photocard licenses are described here:-

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/pol_look.htm

The previous paper type came in a European version and was green - there should be a big GB on it. The best thing about the paper licenses is attempting to use one to hire a car in the USA - it seems to really upset them :-)

The one catch with the photocard licenses is that they must be renewed every 10 years. If you have to renew your license, you are supposed to get it where you live...

A possible advantage of retaining a GB license could be that it would be difficult to get German points - although you can still get German fines!

Drive carefully :-)

JG

Posted

The previous paper type came in a European version and was green - there should be a big GB on it.

Jg

Mine has a big UK on it??? it says European Communities model..its the big pink and green fold out one..how come yours has GB and mine has UK? both the same meaning though isnt it? :unsure:

Posted

jg - i thought i read recently (about a month ago) that following a court case you are now allowed to get your driver's licence anywhere in Europe, even if you're registered in Germany.

Posted

Hey Shannon you can get a German Driving Licence in the Eagle & Child in Huyton !

Posted

i thought i read recently (about a month ago) that following a court case you are now allowed to get your driver's licence anywhere in Europe, even if you're registered in Germany

I read that report too. The jist of it was that if a licence has been officially issued in one European country, then it's not up to the courts in another country to try and second guess whether or not the person concerned was really resident there at the time or not. The assumption has to be that the authorities in the issuing country have satisfied themselves that the necessary conditions have been fulfilled - end of story!

Funnily enough there was a report on "Plus/Minus" last night about a Polish driving school which is expressly targeting Germans. The reporters attitude was that it could turn out to be a waste of money because they wouldn't be recognised in Germany. Given the European Courts decision, that sounds like wishfull thinking on his part (at least in the case of anybody with legal insurance!).

This insistance on attempting to over-regulate the market and hiking the cost for the end-customer seems to be typically German. Back in the early days of satellite TV the German Post & Telecoms authority tried to push through a law requiring all sorts of unnecessary interference suppression circuitry in the LNB and receiver. The only suppliers were the German "Hoflieferanten" Hirschmann and co., whose equipment was about three times the price of other suppliers. Fortunately that one got slapped down in Brussels too.

Hey, Europe's not all bad, it seems!

Posted

Hey Shannon you can get a German Driving Licence in the Eagle & Child in Huyton !

Lmao Scousekraut! :lol:

with a pair of gleaming "NEARLY NEW" BMW Alpine 19" Alloyed wheels thrown in!

Posted

Shannon

"Mine has a big UK on it??? it says European Communities model..its the big pink and green fold out one..how come yours has GB and mine has UK? both the same meaning though isnt it? "

I was operating from memory which is proving to be less reliable these days... but my paper license didn't have any pink on it - maybe my license was older. I think GB is the ISO designation but the EU uses UK.

The paper counterpart to my photocard license has a garish pink and green format though.

Harry & RMA

"jg - i thought i read recently (about a month ago) that following a court case you are now allowed to get your driver's licence anywhere in Europe, even if you're registered in Germany."

That's news to me - but good news. I'd like to keep my UK license.

Yes - the EU is useful when it comes to some of the personal rights issues.

Ciao

JG

Posted

thanks Jg :)

I think GB is the ISO designation but the EU uses UK.
whats ISO ?

Im still unsure if im driving here illegally, is there any difference between UK and GB? I received my license in the early 90s its in the car now so not sure of exact date...

Im going to UK or is it GB on Friday for 2 weeks so hopefully get some concrete answers on that side of the water.

I'd like to keep my UK license

Hope I can keep my GB license :unsure:

bis spater

Posted

Hi Shannon

ISO is International Standards Organisation - they write standards.. Like DIN in Germany and BSI in GB (or UK :-) ).

A quote from the DVLA website:

"You may use your GB licence for driving in all other European Community/European Economic Area [EC/EEA] member states."

They didn't say only if it is green and/or pink, or place any other qualilifiers on this - so I take it to mean "you can drive in EU/EEA with a license that you can use in GB (or UK :-) )"

If your license was issued in the 90s, I wouldn't worry about it.

About the GB/UK thing... Where I work , they have all the country flags outside, in alphabetical order. I was thinking of suggestng that as an ISO9001 certified organsiation, they should use the ISO designations. So GB would come after FR, instead of being last as UK... :-)

Ciao

JG

Posted

Just a note...

GB is England, Scotland & Wales. UK includes Northern Ireland ( I think anyway) No wonder peoplr get confused :blink: