Music venues suitable for rock/pop band gigs

18 posts in this topic

Posted

hello, I am in a band called CLONE QUARTET and we are hopefully playing some gigs in berlin this summer and would love to come down to munich also!! but we know nothing about venues there...so can anybody here help? this forum seemed the best I could find via google as the gigs mentioned would be gigs we would like to play. and yes we are on http://www.myspace.com/clonequartet lol

Posted

The logical one is Hard Rock Café. Shite audience, shite location, but you could get two 60 minute sets in an evenin'. I couldn't handle playin' with people havin' meals sittin' at tables in the front row. You can't turn the bass up because of the thin wall at the back of the stage, but you should get 500 euros (haggle is the keyword).

Other than that, try emailing Musik Eck. Nice guys that speakada English. Ask for Matsa, Thomas or Eric (Eric is also a great mixing desk guy to know). http://www.musik-eck.de/ (Dat's mon self with the bass on the homepage). Hit 'Kontakt' for the phone number.

You could also do Substanz, but you'd never get 500 solves. At a push and with a ton of BS, hype and big balls on the intro you could take a pop at Atomic Café. Headlinin' or support.

If you are down in Munich anyway, I suggest a few other spots to try. PM me after you've tried the first. I'll be back online Monday.

Night.

Ah sayed slap that mofo bitch bass groove hard ya fukka

Posted

Hey guys,

Other venues besides the ones that Sin mentioned (which I agree with):

Glockenbachwerkstatt

Prager Fruehling

Kafe Kult

Monofaktur

Orangehouse

Sunny Red

Salon Erna

I also organize a concert series called The Adventure Club in Substanz (one of the places Sin mentioned), which may be a possibility.

Drop me a line if you have any other questions or need help. I think the music sounds pretty interesting.

Cheers,

Brandon

Posted

cool. I know over here there are certain people which book bands all the time and organise the support for bigger bands...is there any people like that there? the advernture club seems pretty cool and i shall check out those other places too! cheers!! :)

Posted

You should also try Backstage

They always have live music.

Posted

Hey casioboy, I'm back.

Brandon is right about the venues, however there is a hard and fast rule we learnt the hard way: Avoid giggin' when the biergartens are open and it's warm and sunny outside. We once did a gig at Salon Erna with blazin' weather outside. Not only the venue, but the whole site was dead as a doornail. About 30 showed up. Try to avoid giggin' between late May and the end of the Oktoberfest in Munich. Outside Munich is fair game. Munich never was a rock 'n' roll town. They're more mindless clubbers here. You can bust a gut to raise 100 in town, but easily muster 300-500 in the small towns out in the country.

As for the World Cup. If you wanna gig during the World Cup, good luck. accommodation will be impossible, and you'll get two men and a dog come and see you. Avoid this time like the plague.

Posted

Brandon is right about the venues, however there is a hard and fast rule we learnt the hard way: Avoid giggin' when the biergartens are open and it's warm and sunny outside.

True but understandable. Considering that the weather is shitty for most of the year in Munich and nice, warm, sunny days are rare. Even in summer. If it's a nice, warm sunny day, most people would rather be out in a biergarten than couped up in sweaty, funky club. B)

Posted

Hey, also try Unterfahrt. I have been there once. Cool jazz mostly but they might branch out. Also the club in the Bayerische Hof has a great venue for such as well as another venue next door. I have been in their Jazz evening/cigar bar area and it was great.

As far as the Hard Rock connection, email: munich_gm@hardrock.com. His name is Big Djan (John) and tell him that Big Steve the opera singer sent you. Perhaps it won't get you very far, but another 10 seconds of interest might help.

I don't know what you sound like because your links didn't work. I also can't download you yet on E-mule so put out some stuff and let's get some fire started under your nest (if that's what you want).

Posted

Hallo,

you might have heard* about "Alternative/Electronic Pop"

band Sanagi (www.sanagi.co.uk) already..

They are busy concerting in Berlin (previously Latvia for example) and would like

to have concert in Munich..

I am in contact with Lene (singer) who I am helping to find the right concert place..

I have suggested Kleine Elserhalle (where -for example*- Nouvelle Vague was concerting few weeks ago)

but it might be too big.

Anyown here have suggestion for the right concert place for such a band?

Thanks

Daniel

you can listen to three songs here: www.myspace.com/sanagimusic

+ I recommend you to check this video out:

very good work in my opinion: so easy going, cheerful video...

Topics merged by admin

Posted

OK, so, after months of rehearsing my band is sort of ready to play.

Set consists of,

RHCP, Crowded House / Neil Finn, Police, Skunk Anansie, Cream, Cure, Paul Weller, etc etc (an eclectic mix!)

We need some live experience and would like to do a support type slot soon,

Any ideas of suitable venues would be gratefuly received, in town or out of town, doesn't matter.

Ta

PS

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Hi Toytown Munich,

Diego's Umbrella (SF based band) was supposed to play at a venue this Saturday the 26th in Munich but the person I was working with bailed on me last minute and now I dont have a venue for them to play at. I am a friend of this band from San Francisco, who is awsome by the way, and promised to help them find a place to play at in Munich.

I am looking to find out from anyone out there if they know of any bar, place, restaurant, pub, club, concert hall that would let them play this saturday. the place does not have to be big or great or anything for that matter, they just want to play for an hour or two to the Munich crowd. If anyone has any ideas of what I could do or places to contact please let me know. I would forever be grateful!

Here is info on the band. Check them out on these two sites:

http://www.diegosumbrella.com/

http://www.myspace.com/diegosumbrella

They describe themselves as a spanish surf, mexicali, gypsy pirate polka music. The guys are really corky but produce great sounds. This is what people commonly say about them "Kind of hard to place, but really easy to enjoy."

Check out the sites for more info.

So if anyone out there has any ideas I would love to hear from you. This is so last minute and I am so bummed about this but I hope someone out there will have a great idea. Also, if we get a place for them to play then it would great for people to come out.

Thanks in advance!

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some help from people who know popular venues here in München

that play live bands regularly.

So far I could only think of:

-Atomic Cafe

-Substanz

The reason why I ask is because I have a friend back at home who is the manager of this band,

and on behalf of him Im trying to book gigs here in Munich and hopefully all around Germany

if I can find an agent who does that for Germany.

Anyways, it would be awesome if people could give me some ideas on where to go and ask

and also if you have any contacts please do not hesistate to contact me and I would happy

to give you some more details on the band.

Many Thanks

John

Topics merged by admin

Posted

59:1

*hoping band is Temper Trap*

Posted

hi everyone,

i'm in a band called Waves and we wanted to play in munich , any suggestion on which venues would work best for us , we wanted to play our own material plus some rock covers

here's our link

www.myspace.com/wavesonair

thx in advanced for the kind reply

any managers outthere ?

Posted

Hi,

Sorry to drag a dead thread up but I have a similar question - we are doing some shows around Germany in summer but have not been able to find somewhere other than Hardrock - does anyone know good towns outside of Munich are that someone recommended earlier in the thread?

We are rock in the style of Biffy Clyro/Foo Fighters

Posted

Hi!

Does anyone own / know of a pub/bar/whatever who'd be interested in hosting a gig on the following basis?

"We're an indie-folk bank, quite acoustic and chilled (no drums!). Proposal for the gig logistics:

- Timing: gig late Oct / v. early November - we would choose a night that wouldn't be that busy anyway so we can increase your crowd

- we'd provide all the PA etc.

- we'll organise one or two support acts and we (and the support acts) will publicise the concert so as to maximise crowd

- no payment, but free food and drink for musicians and (if you have a mega night beyond all expectations based on your usual trade for that weekday) you're invited to make an optional donation to our "First Album Recording Fund" :) (this is completely optional)"

If you can help with this, please do PM me with suggestions. Thanks in advance...