Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Going on holiday with a baby or toddler

69 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Everyone,

We'll be going on holiday some time in July/August/September somewhere in Europe. We have an 8 month old son and wondered if Anyone had any suggestions or indeed was going to a particular place themselves which they would recommend. Perhaps a private villa witha pool? It might be nice for our other halves to have some male company too.

Let me know what you think.

Anna

Posted

Hi Anna,

What a great idea!!! :) I have a 6 month old and we are looking into a short summer trip too. If you are brave enough we would be keen to look into child friendly complexes/hotels or just rent a large villa. I'll pm you with any details I find out.

Posted

I would definitely say some sort of house (with or without pool) is a good idea - it makes the whole thing more informal and flexible (providing you don't mind preparing breakfast and some meals yourself). Where you go depends on what you want in terms of beach/not beach etc etc. From Munich its easy by car to reach France, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia amongst others.

I usually manage to find some suitable places on this house rental website

Posted

avoid anything with a pool if they can crawl or walk. the wee ones will either poop or drown in it, so you'll spend your time having to tag team mega watch all the time.

may i suggest something better. stay at home and enjoy what munich and bavaria has to offer on day trips. zero stress and a familiar enviroment for all concerned.

Posted

Everyone needs to get away once in awhile! Particularly those who stay at home all the time, as well as those who have already seen what Bavaria has to offer.

Good advice about the pool hazards, though.

Posted

Everyone needs to get away once in awhile!

tosh. but its your heart attack. nicest holiday i had with my family was a couple of days in glorious heat in the west bad and eating out every night (or me cooking). wify and me both agreed it was stress free a change from the routine, that is what you need more than a change of scenery, and if my wify says that then shes right.

Posted

I was just assuming that Anna has weighed her options, including staying here, and has decided that a getaway is what she wants. I doubt that staying home would be a change from her routine, seeing that she can go to Westbad and grill out any day.

Posted

I doubt that staying home would be a change from her routine, seeing that she can go to Westbad and grill out any day.

well if she can go to the westbad every day and does, then maybe she should stay at home for a week as a change of routine? ;-) (btw eat out does not mean grilling, which you cant do at the west bad anyways) she'll be the first mother i know of routine exists purely of leisure activities.

seriously and joking aside, its up to her, but if she really wants a routine breaker then do not do self catering as the routine with the baby and the routine with the catering might as well be done at home, for less money and less stress.

Posted

Well, gideon, I can only speak from my own experience. My baby is about the same age as Anna's. We have not been on a holiday, other than going to the US to visit family for Christmas, since she was born.

If Mr. cinzia were to come home today and propose he take a week off work and stay home for a vacation, I'd propose I take the same week off MY work (house and child care) and go alone, or with girlfriends, to a nice spa hotel in the French Riviera! ;)

Posted

bit of a shame not to take holidays as a family but whatever works for each individual is obviously the best solution and i wouldn't want to preach a certain approach to anything - horses for courses and all that

Posted

I shouldn't even dignify that post BR, but the point being that I wouldn't consider it a vacation if I had to stay in the same place, looking at the same four walls, doing the same household tasks, only now with the husband around, as I always do.

Posted

I shouldn't even dignify that post BR
blimey I was basically trying to be nice and agreeing with your earlier statement that Anna, cinzia or whoever should do whatever feels best for them and not accept being told that e.g. its better to stay at home. Sorry if it came across the wrong way

but the point being that I wouldn't consider it a vacation if I had to stay in the same place, looking at the same four walls, doing the same household tasks, only now with the husband around, as I always do.

er, yeah, I have totally agreed about it being good to get away all along :huh:

Posted

OK, BR, sorry to have jumped all over you.

See? I need a vacation! :rolleyes:

Posted

OK, BR, sorry to have jumped all over you.

s'ok, understandable seeing as I have 'history/ past form' from yesterday ;)

Posted

I shouldn't even dignify that post BR, but the point being that I wouldn't consider it a vacation if I had to stay in the same place, looking at the same four walls, doing the same household tasks, only now with the husband around, as I always do.

yes but you dont stay at home silly, you do day trips or go to the freibad, but you do NOT stay at home. you use home as a base which is pig easier with a wee un as you dont have the stress of travelling with half the house. believe me i've done both, and as a working husband, who also willingly looks after his kids and cooks and shit (before you all men are useless brigade start up again, wear our shoes girls and walk our miles) i know which is less stres. all oyour proposing is changing the four walls. your baby will ensure that the routine remains the same.

red rum

york

Posted

Point taken, but I'd sure as hell rather do the routine on the beach than in Ramersdorf! B)

And I've never taken a vacation where I'm expected to clean the villa.

Posted

Point taken, but I'd sure as hell rather do the routine on the beach than in Ramersdorf!

just speaking from experience. glad you got the point. those with fresh bambinos forget that holidays/weekends/etc are no longer time off from routine (sticks own hand up and waves it furiously). if you accept that your frustration levels at not coming back refreshed and raring to go are lower. breaking the routine can be incredably more refreshing than shifting the routine to a new scenario.

Posted

Which takes us back to the fantasy solo vacation in the Riviera spa hotel!

Kidding, though. I've never been away from the wee one for more than a few hours at a time, and I'm sure I'd miss my family more than it's worth just for a little sleep. <_<

All my childhood vacations involved two weeks in a station wagon, driving from Texas to Illinois and Wisconsin to visit the grandparents, so I also realize that even being able to contemplate going to a villa in southern Europe for a vacation is luxury in the extreme.

As is being able to stay home and take care of my own child in the first place.

Posted

woah!! i've just realised that i will not have another loafing around doing a bit of this and a bit of that, or absolutely nothing holiday for, shit, about the next 20 years.

blimey, shock. gah, no golfing weeks, no vineyard cruising.

ooooh, this having a baby thing creeps up on you in funny ways.

Posted

All my childhood vacations involved two weeks in a station wagon, driving from Texas to Illinois and Wisconsin to visit the grandparents.

alot of ours now with my own family invole us, a volv,o a ferry to england and a set of grand parents who take the pressure of my wife and myself - as she says "hotel giddies mum". such breaks aren ot to be snubbed at.

Posted

Thanks for the link BR I will be sure to have a look. I've been somewhat spoiled over the years and would not settle for a series of day trips in place of what I would call a proper holiday. We do lots of family visits in all corners of the globe but they are indeed visits not holidays. Being able to holiday with our little one this time will mean that for the first time since he was born we will be able to really enjoy our holiday as we will have full time childcare. We'll certainly need a pool and as long as we keep watch we'll avoid drowning and the like. Oh yes, we'll be sure to pack swimming nappies/pants too.

I've found a website which some of you might find helpful. It has a number of suggestions of recommended holiday spots one can go to with babies: www.babygoes2.com

Posted

With such a young child I wouldn't go anywhere really hot because the baby might be fretful and unable to sleep properly (read: nobody gets any rest).

Also, be extra careful about the infrastructure of the area you're going to; at the height of summer some resorts just can't take the strain so you may find

yourself facing a water shortage, for example: that's never exactly pleasant, but when you are with a baby... :o

Posted

Bodensee - absolutely brilliant for kids and parents. Check out the area around Überlingen.

Posted

good point kay. my memory had erased that one. overheated babies who you spend three hours creaming with sun block and the six hours washing the sand out of every nock and cranny including their mouth, and they're screaming cos after having sand rubbing their inner thighs raw for three hours it hurts. twas fun.

Posted

its up to her, but if she really wants a routine breaker then do not do self catering as the routine with the baby and the routine with the catering might as well be done at home, for less money and less stress.

Actually, we are looking for a self catering facility such as a villa with a private pool which offers fullboard if so required Gideon.

those with fresh bambinos forget that holidays/weekends/etc are no longer time off from routine (sticks own hand up and waves it furiously). if you accept that your frustration levels at not coming back refreshed and raring to go are lower. breaking the routine can be incredably more refreshing than shifting the routine to a new scenario.

I have several years of holidaying experience with children of various ages, particularly babies (multiples included) under my belt. So while we only have the one child at this stage I am in no way green where this is concerned. My only issue is that the said experiences have been in somewhat more exotic locations and I am now looking for somewhere offering equally good facilities in Europe. With planning, preparation and childcare in place there is no reason whatsoever why one should return from their holiday needing a rest or another one without the children.