Strollers, pushchairs, prams, baby carriages

133 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I am moving to Munich this month for work with two children under two and a stay-at-home hubbie. We will need a stroller that will withstand the U-Bahn/S-Bahn. I don't think our U.S. Graco will survive. I noticed on a recent trip that German mothers use very substantial prams/strollers. But I didn't see many tandems. Does anyone have any recommendations? (Apologies if this is addressed on another thread, I looked but didn't see anthing specific to strollers).

Thanks!

Posted

I've seen tandems around, getting one shouldn't be a problem. If you want to use the U-Bahn/S-Bahn, however, DON'T buy one with seats side by side, you won't be able to use the escalators!

Posted

It shouldn't be hard to find a tandem stroller, they are all the rage. Try e-bay. What is the age difference between your kids? There is this great sort of skateboard attachment that you hook on to the stroller frame and the older kid stands between the stroller handle and the bassinet part. Try e-bay for one of them as well.

post-7478-1143811923.jpg

Posted

Do you really think that using those attachments on escalators is a good idea?

(I don't have an escalator fixation, it only looks that way ;) )

Posted

I never suggested using it on an escalator. It detaches. Or use the elevator.

Posted

Another route is to buy a very high quality bike trailer (Chariots, they are Canadian I think) which also converts to a stroller. The two can sit side by side and you can pack tons of shopping in the compartment behind. We used ours all of the time on the UBahn with no problems. Good luck!

Posted

Thanks for the information everyone! The kids are 6 months and 2 years old. The two year old must be strapped in getting on and off public transport, she is totally without fear and hard to chase with a baby in tow.

Posted

JulieC, I have an 8-month-old myself and I am so glad you plan to keep your older child restrained on the transport.

I'm sure I've posted more than once on this forum that it just terrifies me to see toddlers out of their strollers on the platforms and even in the trains. It's just too easy to imagine the tragedies and how easily they could be avoided.

Little kids in cars have to be restrained, why not on public transport? I think if you get your toddler used to being in his/her stroller while on the transport, and are really consistent about not letting them out, they'll deal with it.

I saw a woman in a shop today with some kind of stroller that had a push-chair deal for a kid who was about 2, as well as what sounded like a very young baby sort of underneath/behind it. But as I hadn't seen your post yet then, I didn't ask the mother about it. It was a 3-wheeler.

Posted

Though they don't fold up to a small size and take up a lot of space in the car, be sure to get a stroller with big wheels. There were almost three months of snow this winter and you've got to push over a lot of very uneven surfaces. The pavements get gritted here, when it snows and the grit can clog up small wheels as well.

Posted

Yup, and in the summer you'll need the good wheels for the beer gardens!

Posted

i'm looking at some 19" 7 spoke gunmetal grey alloys running on low profile pirelli p zero rubber.

but seriously, we're beginning the hunt for a pram for our first in september and the comments about getting through the snow are some i've pondered this winter. also good comment on the biergarten gravel!

a friend of ours pointed out that the 3 wheelers are funky and all that but when you come to push a pram up the concrete runners built into most steps from an underpass, etc you'll have to push down to lift the front middle wheel and make things harder for yourself.

any recommendations would be gratefully welcomed.

Posted

A lot of those 3-wheelers are a pain for other reasons, too.

For example, many of them are longer than a 4-wheeler from front to back. While my sturdy 4-wheeler fits tidily into the space between the back door and the passageway in the U-Bahn, for example, I've seen 3-wheeler drivers blocking the thruway.

Also saw two moms last week who had to go up an escalator backwards because of the front-to-back length of those 3-wheelers. Looked pretty inconvenient. I don't even have to hold my stroller up to ascend the escalators, unless they're unusually steep. The back wheels rest on the next step down, and the baby is not at a dangerous angle.

Just from what I've seen, I wouldn't get a 3-wheeler unless you really feel you'll be jogging with it most of the time.

Posted

we have a marco sky l which is a double buggy the babe lies/sits behind and the older one sits in front. Quite compact to it easily fits on the trams and u-bahns. You have to go backwards down the escalators but people do move out of your way. The front seat doesn't recline though, so the baby police give you a few looks when the toddler falls asleep and you don't make it comfortable for him. We bought our buggy on ebay. Will try and post a picture if I can manage it.

Posted

playtime, I think that may have been you I saw at Hugendubel English the other day, then! (post #8)

Or someone with a similar buggy setup and remarkable child resemblance.

Posted

Sorry, but it was not me, you can't see on the photo but the buggy has 4 lots of wheels. Very small ones but manageable on the snow.

That was a good tip about the big wheels. But I didn't know about that when I bought this one.

Forgot to add that my buggy folds down and you can fit it into the car, but it is a tight fit.

Some-one did ask me once where I bought it from, but otherwise people just smile when they see my little monkeys.

Posted

Well, the good news on that then, is that there are at least two kinds of buggies out there with a similar design - older child front and baby behind/underneath.

Posted

After witnessing earlier today an incident involving one of these "skateboard" attachments for pushchairs, I would seriously advise everyone

to think twice before using them on the U-Bahn/S-Bahn network.

At one of the stops a woman was backing out of the U-Bahn with a pram + board attachment when one of the wheels of the board got caught

in the gap between the platform and the train. She frantically tried to dislodge the wheel, and eventually a young man who rushed to help

managed to pull it free. The scariest part was that the train driver didn't know what was happening since the pram was still inside the train carriage

so he couldn't see it or he would have guessed (I hope!) that something was wrong. As it is, he probably thought that people were just taking

too long getting on the train so he repeatedly asked that everyone stand clear of the doors even though at the time the wheel was still stuck.

Fortunately, the woman managed to get out with the pram just before the doors were slammed shut, but the whole episode was quite scary.

Posted

I never suggested using it on an escalator. It detaches. Or use the elevator.

After witnessing earlier today an incident involving one of these "skateboard" attachments for pushchairs, I would seriously advise everyone

to think twice before using them on the U-Bahn/S-Bahn network.

Unfortunately, it seems that these attachments can be problematic regardless of how you get down to the train.

Posted

And anyway, not all stations have lifts, and the lifts are sometimes unpredictably out of order, so you need to find a kiddie transport solution that doesn't require a lift if you're planning to use the public transport.

From these stories, it looks like those skateboard attachment things are dangerous in general on the transport.

Posted

If you are searching on ebay or googling for one of these the word is Geschwisterwagen.

With 2 children and a net full of shopping the buggy will get really heavy and you will need to ask for help getting it up and down stairs but these buggies are ideal if you have 2 children under the age of 3.

Once the younger child is able to sit up it's worth swopping them so the older one is behind, it will be easier to steer.

Posted

Do they sell the Phil & Ted E3 ikn Germany? I've seen several of them here in the UK:

Also Jane makes an awesome tandem 3 wheeler as well:

post-4271-1147098323.jpg

post-4271-1147098605.jpg

Posted

Any experiences with the Graco Snugride? Seen it available anywhere? Thanks

Posted

Caritas (catholic charities) has tons of free prams, if you can show a need. I saw three 'normal' single ones, and a side-by-side duo. Mind you, the duo's pictured in the previous post look SWEEET!

Of course, for our mega-wealthy TT munich friends easily dropping 800 euros on a pram (thinking of a recent article in the ExBerliner about same), I dunno if my advice is all-that helpful in this thread! I hate giving premo stuff away (I.e. Öko beef) to be told by said-friend, 'Uh, I'm sure a dog enjoyed it...' Grrr...

Posted

So, I've been researching strollers/prams because I am 33 weeks pregnant, and this is our first child. I am looking for recommendations for the best all around kinderwagen. I am very active, and I wanted something that I could jog with, as well as get around town with on the pub tran. We were interested in the Easy Walker Sky, Phil & Ted Sport, or something comparable. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Topics merged by admin